Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Why is 'Yellowstone' so Popular????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Yup - snitched a copy for an English teaching exercise. (along with the response)
    Hope you make it clear that was proper 'Murican English

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      I *have* heard "Yellow Snow" many times, but that's a separate issue.
      If you see, don't eat it. Tis not lemon
      We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Not only is that just your opinion, you need to define what you mean by "semantically"
        Semant is what you use to make sidewalks out of. Can you see through a sidewalk? No. Because they are not clear. Duh.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post

If you see, don't eat it. Tis not lemon
          The wing-nuts across the hall in the dorm back in '79 were big Frank Zappa fans.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Ok, never watched an ep. of "Yellowstone" 'til today. Note to HA if'n she's still around: In the series, it's the name of a ranch in Montana, not the National Park.

I was brain-foggy all day (I think the weather affects me more as I age), was not able to do much thinky stuff, so binged Season 4 on Paramount.

Here is the review I posted on Facebook:

It's ok, I guess, but too many gratuitous f-bombs for even my tastes, and way overloaded with obnoxious hard-asses.

I ended up semi-watching the whole fourth season. It has its virtues. It pretty much values hard work, toughness, honesty, self-sacrifice, protection of the innocent. It's tough on the coastal big-city greeniacs and other libiots, but it's also tough on the fat-cats who want to totally exploit the land. But there's more than a little vindictiveness, and at one point the wise patriarch (Kevin Costner) has a couple of cowboys settle a long-simmering feud by having a fist-fight until they're both literally unable to stand.

And it featured a character going on a sort of Native American vision quest to get guidance from the spirit of a wolf that had showed up several times at important occasions in his life. Somehow I have difficulty imagining that a prophetic word from a Pentecostal or Charismatic Christian would be treated with such respect.

To that FB review, I'll add that one important character, the daughter of the Costner character, is virtually a demon. She is, as the expression goes, "loyal to a fault" to her father, will sociopathically do literally anything to protect him (often without his knowledge, because he doesn't approve of most of it). But she can also be kind-hearted. She is clearly mentally unstable ("I am the rock that therapists break themselves against.").

Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Ok, never watched an ep. of "Yellowstone" 'til today. Note to HA if'n she's still around: In the series, it's the name of a ranch in Montana, not the National Park.

I was brain-foggy all day (I think the weather affects me more as I age), was not able to do much thinky stuff, so binged Season 4 on Paramount.

Here is the review I posted on Facebook:

It's ok, I guess, but too many gratuitous f-bombs for even my tastes, and way overloaded with obnoxious hard-asses.

I ended up semi-watching the whole fourth season. It has its virtues. It pretty much values hard work, toughness, honesty, self-sacrifice, protection of the innocent. It's tough on the coastal big-city greeniacs and other libiots, but it's also tough on the fat-cats who want to totally exploit the land. But there's more than a little vindictiveness, and at one point the wise patriarch (Kevin Costner) has a couple of cowboys settle a long-simmering feud by having a fist-fight until they're both literally unable to stand.

And it featured a character going on a sort of Native American vision quest to get guidance from the spirit of a wolf that had showed up several times at important occasions in his life. Somehow I have difficulty imagining that a prophetic word from a Pentecostal or Charismatic Christian would be treated with such respect.

To that FB review, I'll add that one important character, the daughter of the Costner character, is virtually a demon. She is, as the expression goes, "loyal to a fault" to her father, will sociopathically do literally anything to protect him (often without his knowledge, because he doesn't approve of most of it). But she can also be kind-hearted. She is clearly mentally unstable ("I am the rock that therapists break themselves against.").
              The whole family (except that son who went on the vision quest) are sociopaths. They are loyal to their family but have no conscience when it comes to killing anyone who threatens them. You really need to watch the first three seasons to get the full story. Beth is probably the worst of them though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Beth is probably the worst of them though.
                I love Beth!

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The whole family (except that son who went on the vision quest) are sociopaths. They are loyal to their family but have no conscience when it comes to killing anyone who threatens them. You really need to watch the first three seasons to get the full story. Beth is probably the worst of them though.
                  Some of the interactions between John and Beth in the episodes I saw went into that. From John's POV, anything and everything is permissible regarding enemies, but "collateral damage" is not ok, and intentionally "using" people who are not enemies and putting them at risk is *really* not ok. Beth had a lot of trouble agreeing to play by those rules.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Some of the interactions between John and Beth in the episodes I saw went into that. From John's POV, anything and everything is permissible regarding enemies, but "collateral damage" is not ok, and intentionally "using" people who are not enemies and putting them at risk is *really* not ok. Beth had a lot of trouble agreeing to play by those rules.
                    Kayce (the vision quest guy) basically tried to get away from his family. He married the Indian woman and they lived on the reservation, but his dad and other circumstances keep dragging him back into the family drama. He has done some questionable things too, mostly in reaction to the attacks on the family, and like when he basically tortured that one guy who wouldn't let his friend's cattle cross his land, but as bad as that is, he is still the most "normal" of the Duttons.

There really aren't any "good guys" in the series. Everyone seems to be pretty amoral. But you tend to side with the Duttons because they are the "star" of the show.

Comment

Kayce (the vision quest guy) basically tried to get away from his family. He married the Indian woman and they lived on the reservation, but his dad and other circumstances keep dragging him back into the family drama. He has done some questionable things too, mostly in reaction to the attacks on the family, and like when he basically tortured that one guy who wouldn't let his friend's cattle cross his land, but as bad as that is, he is still the most "normal" of the Duttons.

There really aren't any "good guys" in the series. Everyone seems to be pretty amoral. But you tend to side with the Duttons because they are the "star" of the show.
                      At the risk of being reductionist, there are no shows interesting enough to watch that don't star morally ambiguous characters. That kind of thing is an even bigger problem in, e.g., the Godfather movies and "The Sopranos." The viewer is placed in a position of rooting for characters that are not just amoral but downright criminally evil, and yet with some likable traits.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

At the risk of being reductionist, there are no shows interesting enough to watch that don't star morally ambiguous characters. That kind of thing is an even bigger problem in, e.g., the Godfather movies and "The Sopranos." The viewer is placed in a position of rooting for characters that are not just amoral but downright criminally evil, and yet with some likable traits.
                        I'd say it is because most writers lately don't know how to write a moral paragon or even morally decent person in an interesting way. They just make all of them naive boy scout types.

Comment

Moderator Notice

Thread moved to Amphitheater. Please pay attention to where you're starting threads.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                          Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            I personally have watch it from day one...I love it, no surprise...

‘Yellowstone’ Season Four Premiere Draws A Staggering 14.7 Million Viewers

Well it could be this:

The hit show with Kevin Costner also taps into a part of the country that Hollywood loves to ignore. It focuses on family, loyalty and protecting what is yours.

While most of Hollywood is failing as it goes woke, “Yellowstone” is blowing up as it focuses on more traditional values.

You just love to see it!

https://dailycaller.com/2021/11/13/y...IymPxM30W4Hifw
                            I just finished watching the first two seasons, and it's pretty good. It's sort of like the cowboy version of The Sepranos, if you like that type of genre. But I don't think it actually reflects too positively on conservatism and I think that was pretty intentional. It has pretty blatant elements of wokeness when it comes to the conflict between Native Americans versus the white townsfolks. Nothing could be more blatant of that than the incident with Monica and the white store owner (Monica's character is actually quite annoying to be honest), and I still can't find a reason for that scene other than just making whites look evil and racist. The liberal lesbian woman that was going to report their crimes and is portrayed as the "good guy" gets murdered by the son to protect their father. The family is downright ruthless and extremely dysfunctional. It almost seems like liberal Hollywood is intentionally doing that to reflect badly on conservatism. I think it's popular just because it has that Sepranos vibe and a lot of people like that type of story.
                            Last edited by seanD; 09-18-2023, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Wokeness? Well, I mean ..... Kevin Costner. He was an early pioneer on the woke trail.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I just finished watching the first two seasons, and it's pretty good. It's sort of like the cowboy version of The Sepranos, if you like that type of genre. But I don't think it actually reflects too positively on conservatism and I think that was pretty intentional. It has pretty blatant elements of wokeness when it comes to the conflict between Native Americans versus the white townsfolks. Nothing could be more blatant of that than the incident with Monica and the white store owner (Monica's character is actually quite annoying to be honest), and I still can't find a reason for that scene other than just making whites look evil and racist. The liberal lesbian woman that was going to report their crimes and is portrayed as the "good guy" gets murdered by the son to protect their father. The family is downright ruthless and extremely dysfunctional. It almost seems like liberal Hollywood is intentionally doing that to reflect badly on conservatism. I think it's popular just because it has that Sepranos vibe and a lot of people like that type of story.
                                Oh yeah, and all the "militias" are portrayed as outright nazi types, as if there are no militias that are not nazis. Though to the credit of the writers, at least the nazi militias are the bad guys (though "bad guy" is a pretty relative term with the show) in the first 2 seasons. I don't know if that will change in the following seasons, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have the Duttons make some sort of unholy alliance with the nazis.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X