Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Anime and Food Derail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I've heard good things about both of those series, they definitely have interesting premises.
    I thought you were one of those who were a fan of Hellsing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I've heard good things about both of those series, they definitely have interesting premises.
      Interesting premises and turning the normal on its head is where manga and anime excel. The Rosary and the Vampire was a good example, fairly standard "harem" scenario with enough twists to keep it interesting. Ichigo 100% not so much - kept the froth from the manga and ditched the beer - not that it wasn't worth watching, just a touch disappointing. Zero no Tsukaima started well, but the protagonist didn't develop. Same with Bleach: strong for the first few episodes, but devolved into a standard going no-where repeating adventure cycle later.

If only Hollyweird could tap into just a fraction of that creativity instead of Part 12 of the sequels for the same idea, or yet another reboot so they can tell the same story over
      Horrible thought. Look what they did when they adapted Seven Samurai to make it the Magnificent Seven.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Interesting premises and turning the normal on its head is where manga and anime excel. The Rosary and the Vampire was a good example, fairly standard "harem" scenario with enough twists to keep it interesting. Ichigo 100% not so much - kept the froth from the manga and ditched the beer - not that it wasn't worth watching, just a touch disappointing. Zero no Tsukaima started well, but the protagonist didn't develop. Same with Bleach: strong for the first few episodes, but devolved into a standard going no-where repeating adventure cycle later.

Horrible thought. Look what they did when they adapted Seven Samurai to make it the Magnificent Seven.
        If you never saw Seven Samurai the Magnificent Seven is a great movie.

Anywho, I'm not saying I wished they would steal ideas wholesale but rather tap into the creativity and originality (although animes can definitely fall into predictable patterns and reuse the same gimmick over and over -- just how many people are there that can manipulate nearly invisible wires to slice a platoon into ribbons and then animate them like marionettes?).

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          What can I say? I have an appreciation for some dark things -- and nobody would ever mistake me for a goth or emo. I guess I'm challenging Nietzsche's theory regarding his statement "if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."

Or else I'm just the twisted puppy I always figured I was.
          For a lot of people it is true what Neitzsche said. For others not so much. I'm one of the former, at least to a point*. I have to detox with something more wholesome if I watch something too dark for more than a little bit.

*I've seen enough of the abyss in real life that I don't actively search it out in fiction. However, some of my favorite shows, games, and stuff have been fairly dark.

I thought you were one of those who were a fan of Hellsing.
          That was Chrawnus.

Comment

Probably the only series with a harem element I found somewhat interesting, and in spite of that was Sword Art Online*. I didn't see very much, and only saw a few chapters of the manga. I also played a bit of one of their games, it was kind of cool except that the multiplayer element was poorly done. I do I think .hack did a similar concept better.

I have a friend who loves Bleach. He goes on and on about that one.

My dad loves the Magnificent Seven, and I thought it was ok. I'm usually not into western themed stuff unless it has a steampunk or fantasy element.

I'll have to add Seven Samurai to my list of stuff, along with most Studio Ghibli movies.

*Usually a bunch of extremely different women like this one bland go for no discernable reason.

Comment

Some females in anime do that too, the most notable example I can remember was Kaguya Otsutsuki from Naruto. I remember hearing that it was symbolic of a certain other bodily reaction to an attractive person.
              I've been trying to fit this concept into what I know. It's not happening.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Probably the only series with a harem element I found somewhat interesting, and in spite of that was Sword Art Online*. I didn't see very much, and only saw a few chapters of the manga. I also played a bit of one of their games, it was kind of cool except that the multiplayer element was poorly done. I do I think .hack did a similar concept better.

My dad loves the Magnificent Seven, and I thought it was ok. I'm usually not into western themed stuff unless it has a steampunk or fantasy element.

I'll have to add Seven Samurai to my list of stuff, along with most Studio Ghibli movies.

*Usually a bunch of extremely different women like this one bland go for no discernable reason.
                Harem stories can be really good, but usually when the harem is a background element. The reverse harem story "Ouran High School Host Club," was brilliant. Though again, the harem was only an element, with the series addressing such concepts as stereotyping and gender equality. It was even done in a positive way.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

This Seven Samurai is a 1950s B&W live action movie which has inspired legions of imitators.

Comment

IMHBAO, Bleach started out great but suffered from the same problem that befell Dragon Ball. They didn't know when to quit and resorted to telling basically the same story over and over. But with Bleach it happened sooner.

One thing I liked about the series was the various opening and closing theme music. But nothing holds a candle to the opening of Cowboy Bebop

Comment

IMHBAO, Bleach started out great but suffered from the same problem that befell Dragon Ball. They didn't know when to quit and resorted to telling basically the same story over and over. But with Bleach it happened sooner.

One thing I liked about the series was the various opening and closing theme music. But nothing holds a candle to the opening of Cowboy Bebop
                      This one?
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

This one?
                        Indeed.

Some of the best jazz I've heard in a looooong time.

The only thing that ever even remotely came close was the old theme for Peter Gunn

A long version. It finally starts a minute into it

What can I say? I'm a man of very eclectic tastes.

Comment

• rogue06
                          rogue06 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Both songs make me want to wear sunglasses inside

Indeed.

Some of the best jazz I've heard in a looooong time.

The only thing that ever even remotely came close was the old theme for Peter Gunn

A long version. It finally starts a minute into it

What can I say? I'm a man of very eclectic tastes.
                        Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse?
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse?
                          Never heard of them until now. A quick listen on YouTube suggests it was heavily influenced by Peter Gunn.

Dang it. Every time I click on this page I stop and listen to "Tank" again.

Comment

Never heard of them until now. A quick listen on YouTube suggests it was heavily influenced by Peter Gunn.

Dang it. Every time I click on this page I stop and listen to "Tank" again.
                            Hrrmph. Serves you right. You've had me rummaging through my favourite songs list for more than an hour now.

One of my favourites, though I can't say that I like it.

This one I do like. My grandson loved it when he was four months old. He used to beat time to the tune.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Harem stories can be really good, but usually when the harem is a background element. The reverse harem story "Ouran High School Host Club," was brilliant. Though again, the harem was only an element, with the series addressing such concepts as stereotyping and gender equality. It was even done in a positive way.
                              I believe that, I just haven't seen one that was very good. It's also pretty low on my already long list of anime I need to watch.

Comment