Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Anime and Food Derail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anime and Food Derail

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

No. I think it just "felt" similar. I think it was the weather when we got there, and it felt like many of the buildings would have been right at home in San Diego. It just had a "samey" vibe to it. Except, there was a very large number of "Gyro and Pizza" places all over the city. Felt as common as starbucks, I swear.
    Yup - Going to Sydney is like going to America: something that civilised people do only under duress.

Had to google "Gyro" ... I think it's might be "Yiros" here.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Yup - Going to Sydney is like going to America: something that civilised people do only under duress.

Spelled Gyro, pronounced Yiro.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Ah - thanks for that. I couldn't be sure on the basis of a fast check.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I liked Sidney. Only spent a few days there. Darwin was the most interesting town to visit. We dumped around 5000 sailors and marines in that tiny place for a week, fun times.

My favorite memory was visiting Three Sisters Gorge and Jenola caves.

As for the Pizza an Gyro's, they are just two foods you generally don't see sold at the same restaurant very often in the states, so they stood out to me.

Comment

Ah - thanks for that. I couldn't be sure on the basis of a fast check.
          In different regions of the US (and of Texas) it's pronounced anywhere from "hero" to "yeero" to "Gyro (as in Gyroscope)", to "geero"...

I believe it came from the Greek culture, so...

I just point and say "I want sommudat!"
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Seriously, it's on my bucket list to visit Australia. When I was a College Minister, we had a student from Australia. I was always fascinated that her flight would leave Australia the day after she arrived in Houston.
            I know Australians have backwards flushing toilets, but I hadn't realized they had moved on to inventing time travel.

I told my wife it was pronounced "jiro" as a joke. She came home one day really angry because she ordered one with my joking pronunciation and was highly embarrassed when the food truck worker corrected her. Yeah, and the "But, sweetheart, I was only joking" excuse didn't get me off the hook for that one.
            Last edited by Mountain Man; 08-02-2021, 04:37 PM.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I know Australians have backwards flushing toilets, but I hadn't realized they had moved on to inventing time travel.
              Laughing --- that international dateline thing.

Comment

Laughing --- that international dateline thing.
                I did know that. They don't actually have backwards flushing toilets, either. That's an urban legend.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I did know that. They don't actually have backwards flushing toilets, either. That's an urban legend.
                  Must be a slow day, eh?

Comment

No. I think it just "felt" similar. I think it was the weather when we got there, and it felt like many of the buildings would have been right at home in San Diego. It just had a "samey" vibe to it. Except, there was a very large number of "Gyro and Pizza" places all over the city. Felt as common as starbucks, I swear.
                    I imagine that there was a dearth of Mexican restaurants as well.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I imagine that there was a dearth of Mexican restaurants as well.
                      There was that. I was stationed in Japan at the time, so when we went to Sidney, I was really REALLY craving mexican food.

Didn't really get any until someone pointed one out in Yokohama, on the 70th floor of a building attached to the train station there. It was an hour train ride, but well worth it.

Comment

There was that. I was stationed in Japan at the time, so when we went to Sidney, I was really REALLY craving mexican food.

Didn't really get any until someone pointed one out in Yokohama, on the 70th floor of a building attached to the train station there. It was an hour train ride, but well worth it.
                        I really like Japan's station hotels. Nagoya's has a whole floor devoted to cafes decked out as Meiji (or perhaps Taishou) era village. (probably idealised, but beautiful nonetheless). One of the cafes did upmarket seafood - the chef tried to talk me into trying fugu ... no thanks.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I really like Japan's station hotels. Nagoya's has a whole floor devoted to cafes decked out as Meiji (or perhaps Taishou) era village. (probably idealised, but beautiful nonetheless). One of the cafes did upmarket seafood - the chef tried to talk me into trying fugu ... no thanks.
                          Fugu? Don't want to live dangerously I take it.

The secret is removing that bean-shaped organ without nicking it and allowing the toxins to spill out all over the edible parts.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Fugu? Don't want to live dangerously I take it.

The secret is removing that bean-shaped organ without nicking it and allowing the toxins to spill out all over the edible parts.
                            Gyuudon for me, tamagonashi, anytime. Sadly, none of the station cafes catered to my pedestrian tastes. And then there's Kansai Airport ... I have to go well out of my way to arrive in and depart from there.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Gyuudon for me, tamagonashi, anytime. Sadly, none of the station cafes catered to my pedestrian tastes. And then there's Kansai Airport ... I have to go well out of my way to arrive in and depart from there.
                              The one time I had gyuudon it was essentially rice absolutely covered in onions with a few flecks of beef and what appeared to be a beef broth poured over it. Wasn't impressed.

Comment