Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Anime and Food Derail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Now that I think about it, Tales of Berseria was more tame in a lot of ways than Persona 5.

*I know it sounds pretty terrible, but it's not dark just for the sake of it.
    What you said at the end hits the nail on the head. Much of this really isn't gratuitous.

IIRC, Requiem was loosely based on a bunch of actual old ghost stories from around Japan that in the anime were being collected by someone (sort of like the Brothers Grimm but in the early Meiji period), and he runs into these two guys and a girl that both you and he learn are really ghosts who dispense justice on some really wicked individuals. So you ended up with some very adults only stories.

And those were by far the two grimmest episodes of Black Lagoon, which while ultra violent (mercenary/couriers in SE Asia around the time Russia pulled out of Afghanistan) that was also usually very realistic except for the few times the said, oh what the heck, and gleefully jumped the shark. And it could get into pretty deep philosophical territory, notably between Remy and Rock, with the former a cynical, trigger happy nihilist and the latter a somewhat naïve and idealist -- and how they slowly get closer to each other's point of view.

And then there are always those that do stuff just for the shock value.
    Last edited by rogue06; 08-03-2021, 02:34 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

True enough; the "blood" that appears in Kenshin is so unlike real blood that it is easy to handle - same with the blood from blood noses. (quite common in High School slice of life stories).
      The nose bleed meme seems to be found in all the types of anime, but mostly, as you indicated, High School (and especially Junior High) based stories. Apparently having a major nose bleed as the result of seeing a scantily clad girl is a fairly common reaction among males in Japan.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        The nose bleed meme seems to be found in all the types of anime, but mostly, as you indicated, High School (and especially Junior High) based stories. Apparently having a major nose bleed as the result of seeing a scantily clad girl is a fairly common reaction among males in Japan.

Not just the men. Though I'm not sure that a mutant vampire (gives blood instead of sucking it) could be termed a woman.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Not just the men. Though I'm not sure that a mutant vampire (gives blood instead of sucking it) could be termed a woman.
          That's the other thing about anime/manga. They can sure come up with some truly bizarre characters and storylines.

If only Hollyweird could tap into just a fraction of that creativity instead of Part 12 of the sequels for the same idea, or yet another reboot so they can tell the same story over.

Oh. And another favorite, which also happens to get pretty dark at times and is very bloody -- the various Alucard series and OAVs. Interestingly, I know a lot of anime fans who don't like those sort of anime who love Alucard.

Comment

Thanks Cerebrum123

Now I'm in the mood for Chinese and getting ready to head out.
            Price up $2 and missing two of my favorite things at this restaurant. Might have to start looking around for another go-to spot.

Comment

I did quite enjoy Hellsing (the first, not the remakes); Dracula as a victim in his own way, with Victoria Seras the heroine as his counterpart.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I did quite enjoy Hellsing (the first, not the remakes); Dracula as a victim in his own way, with Victoria Seras the heroine as his counterpart.
                Hellsing

Did you ever see Trinity Blood? Which for whatever reason reminded me of Trigun. I guess because both featured tall thin goofy protagonists that could turn deathly serious.

Comment

Hellsing

Did you ever see Trinity Blood? Which for whatever reason reminded me of Trigun. I guess because both featured tall thin goofy protagonists that could turn deathly serious.
                  Neither rings any bells. Most of the stuff I chose was suitable to watch with my then lat primary, early high-schooler daughter. It's been a few years since I bought anything new.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Neither rings any bells. Most of the stuff I chose was suitable to watch with my then lat primary, early high-schooler daughter. It's been a few years since I bought anything new.
                    IIRC, neither would be problematic.

These days most of what I see is what they put on Cartoon Network late Saturday Night.

Comment

What you said at the end hits the nail on the head. Much of this really isn't gratuitous.

IIRC, Requiem was loosely based on a bunch of actual old ghost stories from around Japan that in the anime were being collected by someone (sort of like the Brothers Grimm but in the early Meiji period), and he runs into these two guys and a girl that both you and he learn are really ghosts who dispense justice on some really wicked individuals. So you ended up with some very adults only stories.

And those were by far the two grimmest episodes of Black Lagoon, which while ultra violent (mercenary/couriers in SE Asia around the time Russia pulled out of Afghanistan) that was also usually very realistic except for the few times the said, oh what the heck, and gleefully jumped the shark. And it could get into pretty deep philosophical territory, notably between Remy and Rock, with the former a cynical, trigger happy nihilist and the latter a somewhat naïve and idealist -- and how they slowly get closer to each other's point of view.

And then there are always those that do stuff just for the shock value.
                      Yeah, I usually don't like anything that does stuff purely for shock value. For me, even when something isn't doing that, it can be too much for me to watch. For example I've heard a lot about Berserk, and how good it is. However, it sounds too dark for me. Maybe one day I'll check it out, but for now I'll stick to other stuff.

Some females in anime do that too, the most notable example I can remember was Kaguya Otsutsuki from Naruto. I remember hearing that it was symbolic of a certain other bodily reaction to an attractive person.

Comment

Yeah, I usually don't like anything that does stuff purely for shock value. For me, even when something isn't doing that, it can be too much for me to watch. For example I've heard a lot about Berserk, and how good it is. However, it sounds too dark for me. Maybe one day I'll check it out, but for now I'll stick to other stuff.
                        I saw the one from the 90s, and maybe because of how much hype it received I expected more, but I wasn't that impressed. It is dark but not overly so. I heard the remade it recently but haven't seen it.

As for just going for the shock value... it's like a cheap horror movie, it starts to bore rather quickly. Elsewhere I mentioned that if you want realism and are doing stories about samurai and ninja, you should expect a great deal of blood. Slashing people open or lopping off limbs and heads can definitely results in massive sprays and even short-lived geysers. But its making it the focus rather than an effect, and lingering on it that is unnecessary

Some females in anime do that too, the most notable example I can remember was Kaguya Otsutsuki from Naruto. I remember hearing that it was symbolic of a certain other bodily reaction to an attractive person.
                        Tab brought that up, and I can remember a few myself, but it is almost always men. That it symbolizes something else would explain a lot.

Comment

IIRC, neither would be problematic.

These days most of what I see is what they put on Cartoon Network late Saturday Night.
                          One that I did choose was Elfen Lied, Hellsing was another. The presence of blood and gore wasn't a determiner, but a clear emphasis on positive relationships and responsibility was.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I saw the one from the 90s, and maybe because of how much hype it received I expected more, but I wasn't that impressed. It is dark but not overly so. I heard the remade it recently but haven't seen it.
                            If I'm correctly remembering which anime I was told on this, you ignore the anime version, and go with the manga for Berserk. Apparently it had stuff not too dissimilar to some of the anime you mention.

As for just going for the shock value... it's like a cheap horror movie, it starts to bore rather quickly. Elsewhere I mentioned that if you want realism and are doing stories about samurai and ninja, you should expect a great deal of blood. Slashing people open or lopping off limbs and heads can definitely results in massive sprays and even short-lived geysers. But its making it the focus rather than an effect, and lingering on it that is unnecessary
                            I definitely expect some level of blood if there is any violence involved, especially if there are sharp weapons.

With your propensity for puns, and desire* for the disturbing I think I can recommend Tales of Berseria to you. I'm pretty sure there is an anime(I know they have one of Tales of Zestiria, which is in the same "universe" just later in time) of it, but I don't know if that is as good as the video game. Most of the video games made in the "Tales of" series have their own anime that tells the story of the game.

Tab brought that up, and I can remember a few myself, but it is almost always men. That it symbolizes something else would explain a lot.
                            Like I said, I don't know if what I was told about that was correct, but it certainly makes sense if it is true.

*Okay, maybe that is a little too strong of a word, but I wanted to keep with the alliteration.

Comment

One that I did choose was Elfen Lied, Hellsing was another. The presence of blood and gore wasn't a determiner, but a clear emphasis on positive relationships and responsibility was.
                              I've heard good things about both of those series, they definitely have interesting premises.

Comment

What can I say? I have an appreciation for some dark things -- and nobody would ever mistake me for a goth or emo. I guess I'm challenging Nietzsche's theory regarding his statement "if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."

Or else I'm just the twisted puppy I always figured I was.

Comment