Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Anime and Food Derail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    While I was showering I pretty much decided to request it be moved to the Auditorium.
    I moved it to the Amphitheater. I hope that is the right place.

Comment

Thanks Cerebrum123

Now I'm in the mood for Chinese and getting ready to head out.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Um, no. Although there is that portion of it and some of it is weird in the extreme.

Most fall into one of five categories.

Shonen: primarily for younger males and typically starring a muscular hero usually with enhanced abilities and who love to get into fights

Shojo: primarily for younger females and typically emphasizing romance and relationships. Think "chick flick" cartoons.

Seinen: very similar to Shonen but for an older audience and also with more discussion on a variety of topics from politics to philosophy.

Josei: very similar to Shojo but for an older audience and emphasizing more realistic relationships.

Kodomomuke: primarily for young children. Expect loud, flashy and silly but with less than subtle moral messaging

This is a very general breakdown as many fall into gray areas between these groups, and others are just too unique to categorize. There are also other breakdowns within these groups as well.
        wow, a whole new world about which I know nothing!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Always use safe search when looking up anime pictures. Heck, do that with anything animated at all because of things like fan art. Pretty much any series can be taken to lewd extremes on the internet.

Anyway, Japan is a lot more comfortable with seeing people naked. They even have public bath.

However, not all anime is like that. Speed Racer is another you are probably familiar with. There is a lot of stuff in the same level of family friendly as those two still. Although some of the stuff intended for younger audiences over there can still have some content that would not be considered appropriate over here. The versions we get are usually censored.
          Speed Racer, yes!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Speed Racer, yes!
            I had a feeling you would know about that one. Apparently something called Gigantor came out around the same time, and so did Kimba the White Lion. I remember seeing the latter as a kid.

Comment

wow, a whole new world about which I know nothing!
              I think for someone getting the feel of the field (not a genre, because all genres turn up at one time or another) ... Ouran High School Host Club (series) or Kimi no Na Wa (movie) may be good places to start, or His and Her Circumstances (series).
              In any given year, there might be hundreds of anime produced: maybe a dozen or so will appeal to given preferences.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I had a feeling you would know about that one. Apparently something called Gigantor came out around the same time, and so did Kimba the White Lion. I remember seeing the latter as a kid.
                Though I'm sure it's not the same genre, we also used to love Johnny Quest - back then, an incredibly well done cartoon animation.

Comment

Though I'm sure it's not the same genre, we also used to love Johnny Quest - back then, an incredibly well done cartoon animation.
                  Johny Quest? The artwork is wrong for anime ... checking .... yep, Hanna Barbera.

There used to be a "statue" (fibreglass, I think) of Kimba out front of Kyoto station. I wasn't happy when I got there on one trip and found that it had been removed.
                  Last edited by tabibito; 08-03-2021, 11:40 AM.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Johny Quest? The artwork is wrong for anime ... checking .... yep, Hanna Barbera.
                    Yes, sir... just noted it was one of our favorites, as kids.

Comment

I watched some of that when I was a kid as well. It wouldn't really be considered anime. To be what we call anime over here in the west, it has to be from Japan. There are some western cartoons heavily inspired by anime, like Teen Titans, Avatar the Last Airbender, and Thundercats.

Comment

Yes, sir... just noted it was one of our favorites, as kids.
                        Along with Dick Tracy no doubt. I can still hear that "six two and even. over and out" line.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I watched some of that when I was a kid as well. It wouldn't really be considered anime. To be what we call anime over here in the west, it has to be from Japan. There are some western cartoons heavily inspired by anime, like Teen Titans, Avatar the Last Airbender, and Thundercats.
                          Not so much here, as of late. Any cartoon with the manga art style is "anime" - which includes some good examples from South Korea and China.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Not so much here, as of late. Any cartoon with the manga art style is "anime" - which includes some good examples from South Korea and China.
                            Maybe it is a result of who I know, and the area I am in then.

Comment

When I first saw the title "Anime and Food", only one character came to my mind...

~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Along with Dick Tracy no doubt. I can still hear that "six two and even. over and out" line.
                                Good driving, men!

Comment