Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Robocop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robocop

Saw the movie recently,

1. It's definitely not as well-made or darkly funny as the original, or even Robocop 2. The callbacks to the first film are basically just references instead of reimaginings, though given how the recent Star Trek movie handled its source material, that's probably a very good thing.
    2. The science is alternately more and less stupid than the original, leading me to believe that the theory behind it was written by a committee of wildly divergent understanding of the science behind it.
    3. There is way too much Alex Murphy family time that isn't used as a vehicle to drive the story or explore how a cyborg would actually act with humans, basically all the pathos of A.I. with none of the Spielbergian focus.
    4. On the other hand, since the director is a low-paid import from Brazil doing the job Americans won't do, he never had time to submit his script to the Proper White Authorities for vetting, as his view of the Detroit police department tends to match the actual Detroit Police Department (3 out of 4 of the major black characters are corrupt. Would warrant a SPOILER ALERT if you didn't see it coming a mile away in the first scenes.)
    5. Samuel L. Jackson seems to be acting much less than he's preaching nowadays. Assume that any speech he's given in the past 4 years or so reflects his actual opinions. Including any regarding snakes on planes.

wow. Do you have some obsession to mention something about race in every one of your posts?

Do you sit around in your mom's basement wrapped in a Nazi flag or something?

Comment

Just further evidence that Hollywood has completely run out of original ideas.....
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        Just further evidence that Hollywood has completely run out of original ideas.....
        Yup.

isn't it time for another Spiderman, Superman, Batman, or Hulk reboot?

Comment

Wait...you mean to tell me that a Hollywood remake is inferior to the original? I'll believe it when I see it.

/sarcasm
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            Wait...you mean to tell me that a Hollywood remake is inferior to the original? I'll believe it when I see it.

/sarcasm
            Actually, the recent True Grit movie was excellent, albeit for different reasons than the original John Wayne classic was. I own both of them.
            Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
              Actually, the recent True Grit movie was excellent, albeit for different reasons than the original John Wayne classic was. I own both of them.
              There are choice exceptions, of course.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                Heck, I hear the Judge Dredd remake was far more excellent than the original. Good directors and effective imagination matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko
                  wow. Do you have some obsession to mention something about race in every one of your posts?

Do you sit around in your mom's basement wrapped in a Nazi flag or something?
                  You know what we do.

Comment