Announcement

Collapse

Pro-Life Activism 301 Guidelines

This area is for pro-life activists to discuss issues related to abortion. It is NOT a debate area, and it is not OK for pro-choice activists to post here.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Resources for arguing against euthanasia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrikature
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    That's what I am beginning to suspect. I think one can secularly present euthanasia laws as bad social policy for the reasons stated above but that doesn't affect arguing against it in the abstract.
    Maybe. If it's me, I'd break out euthanasia at different stages of life and levels of consent. Come to some agreement about what quality of life means and if there's a bare minimum that should be expected.

Different stages of life: pre-natal, infant, toddler, youth, adult, geriatric.
    Levels of consent: No consent, 'end of life' plan, parent/guardian, power of attorney, 'right-mind' patient.
    Methodology: Doctor-performed, doctor-assisted, patient alone.

I break it out this way because the arguments will vary. I don't know very many people that are willing to allow 'no consent', and power of attorney can be messy. It's a different question for terminal adults and geriatrics than it is for young children or infants born with severe problems.

Personally, I'm fine with it provided it can be shown the patient is terminal, in their right mind, and all reasonable treatments have been tried and failed. With parents/guardians of small children or infants, I think we should be prepared to provide financial assistance if we're going to force them to keep the kid. (I'm generally not in favor of terminating the kid except in some really extreme cases where "is this life" may not have an affirmative answer).

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by Carrikature View Post

You probably aren't going to be able to win this debate without a Judeo-Christian value set, or at least some 'sanctity of life' concept, as the basis. I think I could come up with a lot of arguments in favor of euthanasia that aren't emotional in the least bit and to which the only real counters are emotional themselves.
    That's what I am beginning to suspect. I think one can secularly present euthanasia laws as bad social policy for the reasons stated above but that doesn't affect arguing against it in the abstract.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by Tony48219 View Post
    My apologies. I wasn't aware there was a separate forum for debates.
    As I suggested in my PM, read the site rules, and read the forum guidelines.

Leave a comment:

• Tony48219
    replied

FYI, before this goes too far, this area is strictly pro-life and non-debate. If you want to debate it, start a new thread in apologetics.
    My apologies. I wasn't aware there was a separate forum for debates.

Leave a comment:

• Carrikature
    replied
    Originally posted by Tony48219 View Post
    Exactly. If there are no reasona to oppose slavery in principle, then there are no arguments to oppose voluntary euthanasia in principle.

FYI, before this goes too far, this area is strictly pro-life and non-debate. If you want to debate it, start a new thread in apologetics.

Leave a comment:

• Tony48219
    replied
    I don't think the standard arguments in favor of euthanasia have anything to do with it being against their will. That would be pretty silly.
    Moderated By: Jedidiah

Tony, debate is not allowed in this forum. If you wish to debate this please begin your own thread in a forum where it is allowed. I suggest the Civics Forum

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Jedidiah; 12-03-2015, 03:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Carrikature
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Countering emotional arguments is tricky. Usually if you can get them to concede that killing someone against their will is wrong the basis collapses when you demand specifics on safeguards.
    I don't think the standard arguments in favor of euthanasia have anything to do with it being against their will. That would be pretty silly.

Leave a comment:

• Carrikature
    replied
    (Knowing this thread has been necro'd).

Sorry... I didn't abandon this thread! I started a new overnight job this week and have barely been on.

The Witherspoon Institute link has been tremendously helpful, though I think a protracted debate would probably require more technical detail than any popular-level site would predict. The other link did not seem like it would be quite as useful for addressing the issue from a non-religious standpoint. (I am hoping that anybody who would place stock in Judeo-Christian values in the first place isn't the type who would need convincing.)
    You probably aren't going to be able to win this debate without a Judeo-Christian value set, or at least some 'sanctity of life' concept, as the basis. I think I could come up with a lot of arguments in favor of euthanasia that aren't emotional in the least bit and to which the only real counters are emotional themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    Bumping this thread to ask about your thoughts on hospices that cause involuntary euthanasia via morphine overdose.http://www.hospicepatients.org/this-...tening%20Death

Don't know if it needs to be it's own thread, but the idea of being euthanized against one's will sounds horrifying. Passive euthanasia sounds like a worse way to die than active euthanasia. Of course, both are wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    I am hoping that anybody who would place stock in Judeo-Christian values in the first place isn't the type who would need convincing.
    Why would you? Scripture mentions several suicides. Most of them are stated as facts with no moral judgement, except one, which is Samson Allahu Akbaring the Philistines with God's blessing. Christians certainly debate over less ambiguous things.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Sorry... I didn't abandon this thread! I started a new overnight job this week and have barely been on.

The Witherspoon Institute link has been tremendously helpful, though I think a protracted debate would probably require more technical detail than any popular-level site would predict. The other link did not seem like it would be quite as useful for addressing the issue from a non-religious standpoint. (I am hoping that anybody who would place stock in Judeo-Christian values in the first place isn't the type who would need convincing.)

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Um, okay, a LOT later....

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Any updates, KG? Have you found any particularly useful resources?

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Mock the feels.

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/?s...&submit=Search

http://www.firstthings.com/search?q=euthanasia

There should be some articles in there that will help you.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X