Announcement

Collapse

Pro-Life Activism 301 Guidelines

This area is for pro-life activists to discuss issues related to abortion. It is NOT a debate area, and it is not OK for pro-choice activists to post here.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Better practical ways to argue against abortion in the case of rape

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Better practical ways to argue against abortion in the case of rape

    Another day, another politician with the correct position (no abortion in the case of rape) argues it in a way that makes pro-lifers look callous.

    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/w...duces-a-child/

    I remember a couple years ago one pro-life organization recommending that politicians not try to tackle such topics as theodicy on the campaign trail because they are more complicated than a sound bite can deliver. Nonetheless, there has to be a better way to answer questions about the subject (especially because the very issue of abortion in the case of rape is being raised as an issue in this particular state), without coming across as totally insensitive to rape victims.

    DE is asked not to post in this thread.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 02-08-2015, 04:27 PM.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

  • #2
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Another day, another politician with the correct position (no abortion in the case of rape) argues it in a way that makes pro-lifers look callous.

    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/w...duces-a-child/

    I remember a couple years ago one pro-life organization recommending that politicians not try to tackle such topics as theodicy on the campaign trail because they are more complicated than a sound bite can deliver. Nonetheless, there has to be a better way to answer questions about the subject (especially because the very issue of abortion in the case of rape is being raised as an issue in this particular state), without coming across as totally insensitive to rape victims.

    DE is asked not to post in this thread.
    This is one of those topics that, no matter how you word a reply, people who want to take offence will find it. Maybe a better way of putting what this politician said is something like, "Good can come out of evil", but even that has the potential to offend someone if they want to take it that way.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      This is one of those topics that, no matter how you word a reply, people who want to take offence will find it. Maybe a better way of putting what this politician said is something like, "Good can come out of evil", but even that has the potential to offend someone if they want to take it that way.
      I think this is exactly right.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

      Comment


      • #4
        This is true but we still need to minimize it by not making outrageous statements. For example, Todd Akin's comments really did make it nearly impossible for pro-lifers to go on the offensive. Practically speaking, this means you need to reiterate sympathy for the person in that position and not minimize their predicament while nonetheless affirming the right to life for anybody regardless of conception. Too many of focus on the second but neglect the former. If somebody's determined to attack you anyway, they will, but Akin would have been able to defuse the controversy and probably win his election if he'd had some context to back him up, but instead, he had nobody around to defend him.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Another day, another politician with the correct position (no abortion in the case of rape) argues it in a way that makes pro-lifers look callous.

          http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/w...duces-a-child/

          I remember a couple years ago one pro-life organization recommending that politicians not try to tackle such topics as theodicy on the campaign trail because they are more complicated than a sound bite can deliver. Nonetheless, there has to be a better way to answer questions about the subject (especially because the very issue of abortion in the case of rape is being raised as an issue in this particular state), without coming across as totally insensitive to rape victims.

          DE is asked not to post in this thread.
          I think they come across as insensitive to rape victims because they are insensitive to rape victims. There are better and worse ways to phrase things, but much of what we see from politicians on these sorts of topics I think pretty accurately reveals their true feelings on the subject. Too often the rape victim's emotional/mental health is completely discarded in favor of preserving a life. What's a better way to argue against abortion in the case of rape? Focus on not making the fetus pay for an evildoer's actions. Two wrongs don't make a right, however wrong the first one may have been. Maybe start with some humility and make it plain that you can't even imagine what it's like to be a victim of such a thing. You know, maybe show some true compassion for those subjected to such treatment (assuming these politicians are even capable of that, which I generally doubt).
          I'm not here anymore.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm a little frustrated by the notion that we should just throw up our hands and say "well it doesn't matter how we say it because we'll get attacked anyway." Most Christians who think homosexuality is sinful nonetheless don't find it wise to go around with God Hates Fags signs.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              I'm a little frustrated by the notion that we should just throw up our hands and say "well it doesn't matter how we say it because we'll get attacked anyway." Most Christians who think homosexuality is sinful nonetheless don't find it wise to go around with God Hates Fags signs.
              I don't think we should do that at all. However, "insensitivity" nowadays is thrown around a lot, and saying something that isn't actually insensitive is very often dismissed as insensitive.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                I don't think we should do that at all. However, "insensitivity" nowadays is thrown around a lot, and saying something that isn't actually insensitive is very often dismissed as insensitive.
                Fair enough, but I really do think this particular comment was insensitive... and hurting people who might be considering abortions as we speak are the people we really should be going out of our way to be as gentle as possible with.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  Fair enough, but I really do think this particular comment was insensitive... and hurting people who might be considering abortions as we speak are the people we really should be going out of our way to be as gentle as possible with.
                  I don't disagree...I suppose the impression I get is that the only sensitivity we can show to rape victims is, "Yes, you should have an abortion." Any disagreement with this is often seen as insensitive.

                  But yes, rape is evil and we need to be very careful what we say about it.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    I don't disagree...I suppose the impression I get is that the only sensitivity we can show to rape victims is, "Yes, you should have an abortion." Any disagreement with this is often seen as insensitive.

                    But yes, rape is evil and we need to be very careful what we say about it.
                    I hope you know I'm pro-life and wouldn't say that, right?
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I hope you know I'm pro-life and wouldn't say that, right?
                      I know, I'm just giving my impression of the (very vocal) pro-choice crowd. It may even be off-topic, though.
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        I know, I'm just giving my impression of the (very vocal) pro-choice crowd. It may even be off-topic, though.
                        No, it's a good point. They've hijacked the conversation. I just want us to take it back.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          No, it's a good point. They've hijacked the conversation. I just want us to take it back.
                          I think this is where matching word and action comes into play. Politicians needn't be involved. Outlawing an action seldom stops the action anyway. Say and do more to support the victims. Include with that support some realistic counseling of options regarding possible pregnancies. This is one of those things where success is measured in hearts and minds, not legal standing.
                          I'm not here anymore.

                          Comment

                          Related Threads

                          Collapse

                          Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by mossrose, 01-19-2021, 08:17 PM
                          2 responses
                          29 views
                          2 likes
                          Last Post Cow Poke  
                          Started by rogue06, 12-26-2020, 10:51 AM
                          3 responses
                          42 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Christianbookworm  
                          Started by Littlejoe, 10-01-2020, 04:53 PM
                          6 responses
                          120 views
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Frogwarrior  
                          Working...
                          X