Announcement

Collapse

Pro-Life Activism 301 Guidelines

This area is for pro-life activists to discuss issues related to abortion. It is NOT a debate area, and it is not OK for pro-choice activists to post here.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Newsom uses scripture on billboards to advertise abortion website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newsom uses scripture on billboards to advertise abortion website

How dare he use the words of Jesus, taken out of context, to rationalize murdering the unborn!

https://www.christianpost.com/news/n...alifornia.html

Newsom billboard campaign cites Bible to promote abortion 'freedom' in bid for reelection

new billboard campaign promoting abortion services in conservative states cites a Bible verse with the words of Jesus as an apparent endorsement.

Last Thursday, Gov. Gavin Newsom posted images on social media showing billboards set to go up in Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, and four other "anti-freedom" states where abortion is prohibited or significantly restricted.

Newsom's tweet read in part: "To any woman seeking an abortion in these anti-freedom states: CA will defend your right to make decisions about your health."

Newsom tagged several Republican governors, including Texas Gov. Gregg Abbott, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine and Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves, with whom he shared a billboard image that reads: "Need an abortion? California is ready to help."

The billboard partially quotes <a href="https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/preSearch.cfm?Criteria=Mark+12.31&amp;t=NIV" target="BLB_NW" rel="NIV.Mark.12.31" class="BLBST_a" style="white-space: nowrap;">Mark 12:31</a>: "Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no greater commandment than these."

Funded by Newsom's reelection campaign, the billboard omits the context of the exchange in the previous verse, in which Jesus is asked by a scribe, "Which commandment is the most important of all?"

Jesus is quoted as reciting the Shema prayer from <a href="https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/preSearch.cfm?Criteria=Deuteronomy+6.4-9&amp;t=NIV" target="BLB_NW" rel="NIV.Deuteronomy.6.4-9" class="BLBST_a" style="white-space: nowrap;">Deuteronomy 6:4-9</a>, saying, "This is the most important: 'Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One."

He then says in verses 30-31: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' No other commandment is greater than these."

Another billboard features the words "Texas doesn't own your body." A similar billboard was also made for Indiana.

In all, billboards are set to go up in seven states — Texas, Indiana, Mississippi, Ohio, South Carolina, South Dakota and Oklahoma — all of which are roundly pro-life.

Joy Stockbauer, a policy analyst for the Center for Human Dignity at the Washington-based Christian conservative advocacy group Family Research Council, told The Christian Post that Newsom's reelection campaign is "disturbing."

"Governor Newsom's disrespect for the sincerely held religious convictions of Bible-believing Americans is disturbing, but sadly nothing new from far-left extremists within the Democratic Party," wrote Stockbauer via email.

"Perhaps Newsom wouldn't be so desperate to draw vulnerable women to California if his actual constituents weren't fleeing the state in droves due to his unwillingness to address the rampant violent crime problem."

In recent months, California has taken several steps to position itself as an abortion "sanctuary state" after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in June, allowing states to restrict abortion access.

Last week, California launched a $1 million state-run website promoting abortion to minors, immigrants and women who live in states that restrict abortion. The website is funded through a $200 million budget package funded by taxpayers as the state seeks to be a sanctuary for abortion.

"Abortion is legal, safe and accessible here in California — whether or not you live here, know that we have your back," said Newsom following the website's launch. "As Republican states continue rolling back fundamental civil rights and even try to prevent people from accessing information online or crossing state lines for care, you're welcome here in California and we'll continue to fight like hell for you."

The website offers residents and non-residents information about abortion facility locations, how to access abortion pills, financial help and assistance with traveling for an abortion.

The website also states that California law allows minors to "independently consent to their own abortion care" despite any objections from their parents. The website links to TeenHealthRights.org, which tells minors they "do not need your parents' or caregivers' permission to get an abortion if you are under 18" and that it is their "choice whether to tell your parents about it if you do get an abortion."

The state's website also informs undocumented migrants seeking an abortion that they may be able to obtain California Medicaid coverage for the procedure.

Earlier this summer, the California legislature passed over a dozen bills this week expanding and protecting abortion access and protecting abortion providers from criminal prosecution.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Somehow, not a big surprise that Newsome will misquote Scripture to support his position. If Satan does it, why not a human?

For me, this is another example of how over the last 20 and probably more years, the Christian church has failed to properly disciple and teach its members and now we're paying the price.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

The woman's closest neighbor would be her baby. So she should love her baby as herself. She wouldn't commit suicide would she? Then she shouldn't kill her baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        The woman's closest neighbor would be her baby. So she should love her baby as herself. She wouldn't commit suicide would she? Then she shouldn't kill her baby.
        Exactly what MelMak said!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Seems the only time the left has any interest in what the Bible says is when they want to use it to attack their enemies.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

John MacArthur has been deeply troubled by this latest stunt from Newsom. He exhorted his congregation last Sunday to pray for Newsom and other "rulers", and this past week wrote an open letter to Newsom.

His message this morning was the scriptural direction to believers to call rulers to repentance, using various scripture from both and Old and New Testament, giving examples of godly men confronting rulers from Moses through to the present day.

Here is the blog containing the letter he wrote.

https://www.gty.org/library/blog/B220928

Sir,

Almighty God says in His Word, “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people” (Proverbs 14:34). Scripture also teaches that it is the chief duty of any civic leader to reward those who do well and to punish evildoers (Romans 13:1–7). You have not only failed in that responsibility; you routinely turn it on its head, rewarding evildoers and punishing the righteous.

The Word of God pronounces judgment on those who call evil good and good evil (Isaiah 5:20), and yet many of your policies reflect this unholy, upside-down view of honor and morality. The diabolical effects of your worldview are evident in the statistics of California’s epidemics of crime, homelessness, sexual perversions (like homosexuality and transgenderism), and other malignant expressions of human misery that stem directly from corrupt public policy. I don’t need to itemize or elaborate on the many immoral decisions you have perpetrated against God and the people of our state, which have only exacerbated these problems. Nevertheless, my goal in writing is not to contend with your politics, but rather to plead with you to hear and heed what the Word of God says to men in your position.
            “Let all kings bow down before Him, all nations serve Him” (Psalm 72:11).

“He who rules over men righteously, who rules in the fear of God, is as the light of the morning when the sun rises” (2 Samuel 23:3–4).

“It is an abomination for kings to commit wicked acts, for a throne is established on righteousness” (Proverbs 16:12).

What God said to Cyrus is a truth you should take to heart: “I am the Lord, and there is no other; besides Me there is no God. I will gird you, though you have not known Me; that men may know from the rising to the setting of the sun that there is no one besides Me. I am the Lord, and there is no other” (Isaiah 45:5–6).

In mid-September, you revealed to the entire nation how thoroughly rebellious against God you are when you sponsored billboards across America promoting the slaughter of children, whom He creates in the womb (Psalm 139:13–16; Isaiah 45:9–12). You further compounded the wickedness of that murderous campaign with a reprehensible act of gross blasphemy, quoting the very words of Jesus from Mark 12:31 as if you could somehow twist His meaning and arrogate His name in favor of butchering unborn infants. You used the name and the words of Christ to promote the credo of Molech (Leviticus 20:1–5). It would be hard to imagine a greater sacrilege.

Furthermore, you chose words from the lips of Jesus without admitting that in the same moment He gave the greatest commandment: “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength” (Mark 12:30). You cannot love God as He commands while aiding in the murder of His image-bearers.

Psalm 50:16–19 speaks to people who pervert the Word of God for their own sinful ends:
            But to the wicked God says,
            “What right have you to recount My statutes
            And to take My covenant in your mouth?
            For you hate discipline,
            And you cast My words behind you.
            When you see a thief, you are pleased with him,
            And you associate with adulterers.
            You let your mouth loose in evil
            And you harness your tongue for deceit.”

My concern, Governor Newsom, is that your own soul lies in grave, eternal peril. “Each one of us will give an account of himself to God” (Romans 14:12). One day, not very long from now, you will face that reality. Nothing is more certain. “It is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment” (Hebrews 9:27). You will stand in the presence of the Holy God who created you, who is your Judge, and He will demand that you give an account for how you have flouted His authority in your governing, and how you have twisted His own Holy Word to rationalize it. As you look over the precipice of eternity, what will your answer be? When you look ahead of you and see that nothing awaits you but eternal misery—the just punishment for your sins—what will all the clever rationalizations and political talking points avail for you then? And by then it will be too late for any remedy or redemption. “It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God” (Hebrews 10:31).

My plea to you, Sir, is that you would not let it come to that—that you would not go to that day of judgment apart from receiving forgiveness and righteousness through faith in Christ alone. In Psalm 50, after rebuking the wicked for uttering God’s words in a profane way, Scripture makes this promise: “Now consider this, you who forget God, lest I tear you in pieces, and there will be none to deliver. He who offers a sacrifice of thanksgiving glorifies Me; and he who orders his way, I shall show the salvation of God” (vv. 22–23).

So there is salvation for those who repent. Christ purchased full redemption for all who will turn from wickedness, forsake their evil thoughts and actions, and trust fully in Him as Lord and Savior.

Our church, and countless Christians nationwide, are praying for your full repentance. Please respond to the gospel, forsake the path of wickedness you have pursued all your life, turn to Christ, ask for forgiveness, and use your office to advance the cause of righteousness (as is your duty) instead of undermining it (as has been your pattern).
            Seek the Lord while He may be found; call upon Him while He is near. Let the wicked forsake his way and the unrighteous man his thoughts; and let him return to the Lord, and He will have compassion on him, and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon. (Isaiah 55:6–7)

Governor Newsom, “now is the acceptable time, behold, now is the day of salvation” (2 Corinthians 6:2).

For the Master,

John MacArthur
            Pastor-Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              John MacArthur has been deeply troubled by this latest stunt from Newsom. He exhorted his congregation last Sunday to pray for Newsom and other "rulers", and this past week wrote an open letter to Newsom.

His message this morning was the scriptural direction to believers to call rulers to repentance, using various scripture from both and Old and New Testament, giving examples of godly men confronting rulers from Moses through to the present day.

Here is the blog containing the letter he wrote.

https://www.gty.org/library/blog/B220928

Sir,

Almighty God says in His Word, “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people” (Proverbs 14:34). Scripture also teaches that it is the chief duty of any civic leader to reward those who do well and to punish evildoers (Romans 13:1–7). You have not only failed in that responsibility; you routinely turn it on its head, rewarding evildoers and punishing the righteous.

The Word of God pronounces judgment on those who call evil good and good evil (Isaiah 5:20), and yet many of your policies reflect this unholy, upside-down view of honor and morality. The diabolical effects of your worldview are evident in the statistics of California’s epidemics of crime, homelessness, sexual perversions (like homosexuality and transgenderism), and other malignant expressions of human misery that stem directly from corrupt public policy. I don’t need to itemize or elaborate on the many immoral decisions you have perpetrated against God and the people of our state, which have only exacerbated these problems. Nevertheless, my goal in writing is not to contend with your politics, but rather to plead with you to hear and heed what the Word of God says to men in your position.
              “Let all kings bow down before Him, all nations serve Him” (Psalm 72:11).

“He who rules over men righteously, who rules in the fear of God, is as the light of the morning when the sun rises” (2 Samuel 23:3–4).

“It is an abomination for kings to commit wicked acts, for a throne is established on righteousness” (Proverbs 16:12).

What God said to Cyrus is a truth you should take to heart: “I am the Lord, and there is no other; besides Me there is no God. I will gird you, though you have not known Me; that men may know from the rising to the setting of the sun that there is no one besides Me. I am the Lord, and there is no other” (Isaiah 45:5–6).

In mid-September, you revealed to the entire nation how thoroughly rebellious against God you are when you sponsored billboards across America promoting the slaughter of children, whom He creates in the womb (Psalm 139:13–16; Isaiah 45:9–12). You further compounded the wickedness of that murderous campaign with a reprehensible act of gross blasphemy, quoting the very words of Jesus from Mark 12:31 as if you could somehow twist His meaning and arrogate His name in favor of butchering unborn infants. You used the name and the words of Christ to promote the credo of Molech (Leviticus 20:1–5). It would be hard to imagine a greater sacrilege.

Furthermore, you chose words from the lips of Jesus without admitting that in the same moment He gave the greatest commandment: “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength” (Mark 12:30). You cannot love God as He commands while aiding in the murder of His image-bearers.

Psalm 50:16–19 speaks to people who pervert the Word of God for their own sinful ends:
              But to the wicked God says,
              “What right have you to recount My statutes
              And to take My covenant in your mouth?
              For you hate discipline,
              And you cast My words behind you.
              When you see a thief, you are pleased with him,
              And you associate with adulterers.
              You let your mouth loose in evil
              And you harness your tongue for deceit.”

My concern, Governor Newsom, is that your own soul lies in grave, eternal peril. “Each one of us will give an account of himself to God” (Romans 14:12). One day, not very long from now, you will face that reality. Nothing is more certain. “It is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment” (Hebrews 9:27). You will stand in the presence of the Holy God who created you, who is your Judge, and He will demand that you give an account for how you have flouted His authority in your governing, and how you have twisted His own Holy Word to rationalize it. As you look over the precipice of eternity, what will your answer be? When you look ahead of you and see that nothing awaits you but eternal misery—the just punishment for your sins—what will all the clever rationalizations and political talking points avail for you then? And by then it will be too late for any remedy or redemption. “It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God” (Hebrews 10:31).

My plea to you, Sir, is that you would not let it come to that—that you would not go to that day of judgment apart from receiving forgiveness and righteousness through faith in Christ alone. In Psalm 50, after rebuking the wicked for uttering God’s words in a profane way, Scripture makes this promise: “Now consider this, you who forget God, lest I tear you in pieces, and there will be none to deliver. He who offers a sacrifice of thanksgiving glorifies Me; and he who orders his way, I shall show the salvation of God” (vv. 22–23).

So there is salvation for those who repent. Christ purchased full redemption for all who will turn from wickedness, forsake their evil thoughts and actions, and trust fully in Him as Lord and Savior.

Our church, and countless Christians nationwide, are praying for your full repentance. Please respond to the gospel, forsake the path of wickedness you have pursued all your life, turn to Christ, ask for forgiveness, and use your office to advance the cause of righteousness (as is your duty) instead of undermining it (as has been your pattern).
              Seek the Lord while He may be found; call upon Him while He is near. Let the wicked forsake his way and the unrighteous man his thoughts; and let him return to the Lord, and He will have compassion on him, and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon. (Isaiah 55:6–7)

Governor Newsom, “now is the acceptable time, behold, now is the day of salvation” (2 Corinthians 6:2).

For the Master,

John MacArthur
              Pastor-Teacher
              He's recently been paying for billboards in South Dakota, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, South Carolina, Oklahoma and Texas, promoting California as an abortion destination. Like they just can't have enough.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                He's recently been paying for billboards in South Dakota, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, South Carolina, Oklahoma and Texas, promoting California as an abortion destination. Like they just can't have enough.
                Trying to attract women from states that have limited access to Cali in order to be so very tolerant and loving.

Comment

As a Californian I am incensed that Newsome is using my tax dollars to put these billboards up in other states instead of using it to help citizens of California during this economic crises.
                  Last edited by RumTumTugger; 10-29-2022, 08:06 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X