Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

I Paid Less than $2.50 a gallon for gasoline!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Add this to CP's post and you understand where I'm coming from...there's actually a sweet spot that keeps the economy humming along with out damaging the future.

Texas' economy still has a lot of Oil and Gas components in it. As does several other states...(the Dakota's anyone?) So, low oil prices will have the greatest repercussions on those states. A lot of oil and gas that was profitable at $100/barrel isn't at below $70. The figures I've seen are that fracking wells usually aren't profitable below $70. So, what happens is exploration slows WAY down. So gas gets cheap, but LONG term, gas goes way up when the wells we have in place start running low because instead of moving exploration and drilling equipment from one place to another, it's all been sold and now you have startup costs to get exploration back on track...
    As a matter of fact, a LOT of the reason gas is down is because of some of the newer technologies in oil and gas, made possible because prices were high enough to support research, development and deployment. Some of those very same "boom" areas are now becoming "bust", because prices won't be able to support the more expensive extraction techniques. In addition, there's significant pushback on the fracking that has been going on all over the place.

HOPEFULLY, the pendulum (high price - very low price) will find a point (LJ's "sweet spot") where gas prices (actually oil prices) can settle where it can be good for the economy, good for the oil/gas industry, and good for the consumer.

(I know more about gas than oil, but if I recall, the "sweet spot" for oil was around $80 a barrel?)
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 12-23-2014, 10:52 AM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I just paid NZ$1.945/l (for 91 unleaded....lowest its' been in nearly 2 years)

That's US$1.50 per litre

which works out to.... US$ 5.67 per gallon
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

The station down the street is advertising gas at $2.319/gallon (I bought gas there two days ago at $2.349)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The best I have paid in years was 2.99
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
            I just paid NZ$1.945/l (for 91 unleaded....lowest its' been in nearly 2 years)

That's US$1.50 per litre

which works out to.... US$ 5.67 per gallon
            Thanks for doing all that math.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Even some of the notoriously higher priced stations around here are $1.99 or less.

Comment

just paid 1.989 at krogers

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  That's less than three bucks!

Comment

Perhaps I should drive up to Kentucky to fill my tank the next time I need gas.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Perhaps I should drive up to Kentucky to fill my tank the next time I need gas.
                      Come to Texas --- $1.82

Comment

i got mine in Indiana.

Comment

i got mine in Indiana.
                          You drove there from Alabamastan?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            You drove there from Alabamastan?
                            That would be Teal!

I wonder how long till we have to rename Indiana to "Native Americania?"

Comment

That would be Teal!

I wonder how long till we have to rename Indiana to "Native Americania?"
                              You can't name a state that! They're not mascots!

Best I've seen here so far is $2.35/gal. You think this is causing oil producers here some pain? It is flat wrecking the Russian economy.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                You can't name a state that! They're not mascots!

Best I've seen here so far is $2.35/gal. You think this is causing oil producers here some pain? It is flat wrecking the Russian economy.
                                AND taking the wind out of the sails of the Iranian Bozos, and cutting into the income of ISIS....

Comment