Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jobs for Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not unusual for Churches to have ongoing (or periodic) job search programs. For example, in NW Houston, Northwest Bible Church has a "Between Jobs Ministry" every Wednesday Morning for 3 hours...

I know this is not in your area, but there may be something similar...

In their Wednesday meetings, you are taught networking, resume writing, fundamentals of job search, PLUS they have resources and a "jobs board" room with a bunch of bulletin boards posting all kinds of local jobs by category. They have multiple "break out" sessions, many of those by job category.

They have guest speakers on various topics, and they have representatives from local businesses who frequently "hire on the spot", or at least arrange interviews.

Check to see if there's anything like this in your area -- it's a morale lifter, if nothing else!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

First Baptist in Montgomery did that years ago. I'll check into it - thanks.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        First Baptist in Montgomery did that years ago. I'll check into it - thanks.
        Northwest Bible Church has about 300 people every Wednesday Morning -- they even have a FREE CLOTHES room, for people who don't have decent clothes for their interview... they do it RIGHT! I have been a frequent speaker / employer/presenter there.

The have a large group "update" and devotional, at the end of which local employers can talk to the group about jobs they are seeking to fill, requirements for those jobs, then you can get in line to talk to any of those representatives after the session, introduce yourself, hand them a resume, and -- honestly -- it was not unusual for a representative to tell a job-seeker "why don't you have a seat, and when I'm done with the rest of these people, you and I can talk". That was always a GOOD sign!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, in an executive board meeting yesterday, we decided a couple of things. We will do another Jobs for Life class, and probably 2 or 3 of them in 2015. The challenge is finding suitable candidates --- those who are willing to move from "welfare" to "workfare" to independence. About 10 to 20 percent of each class will drop out in the first 3 or 4 weeks because they begin to realize they have to WORK in this class - it's not just a "free $500 scholarship".

ANYWAY, one of the things we accomplished was that a GOOD source for candidates for subsequent classes would be for local employers who DECLINE to hire somebody, to tell that declined applicant, "look, here's a program you can try that will help prepare you better for your job search", and give them a pamphlet about Jobs for Life. Blue Bell - a major employer in our area, has already agreed to this.

Meanwhile, we will have NINE graduates tomorrow morning in our Morning Service!

ETA: We also secured funding for anybody in our area who wants to take the GED --- both the training and the testing costs!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X