Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jobs for Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobs for Life

Last year I participated in a "Jobs for Life" program at another Church, and I enjoyed it. It's an 8 week program for unemployed/underemployed people to be trained in seeking a job, how to interview, how to write resumes, principles of work -- all based on Christian principles and Biblical foundations.

THIS year (starting Tuesday) we will host this at my Church. Every Tuesday and Thursday night from Sep 30 through just before Thanksgiving, then we will have a graduation ceremony in our Morning Worship Service.

It's mostly minorities and or disadvantaged young people, either just graduated high school, or completing their GED, and lots of people from the community participate, including many of the businesses, many of whom have committed to hiring the graduates of this program.

I'm looking forward to this, as it's yet one more way our Church gets to "reach out" to our community and "make a difference".

Jobs for Life is a national program, and their website can be found here.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Sounds like a fantastic program!
        3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

First class starts tonight. I'm excited. Curriculum is good, and everybody who attends knows it's Bible-based.

HOWEVER, the only reason I'm doing this is NOT because I love minorities, but to try to win the approval of pinheads like JimL who say I'm racist.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

OK, we started off with a class of 15 adults. Two didn't come back for the second class, then we lost another the next week. One more dropped out, so we're down to 11.

Last night was the half-way point, 4 weeks into the 8 week course! We celebrated with cake and ice cream, complete with whipped cream, hot fudge, and sprinkles! It went over great!

Of the 11 students left, 2 appear to be there for the $500 scholarship, only doing the minimum required work.

NINE, however, "get it", and are doing the assignments, taking notes, participating in discussions, and having really good attitudes.

This week, as part of the class, we had "community round table", where community leaders and business owners come in and meet the students, answer questions, give advice, etc. On Thursday night, TWO of the students were offered interviews because the community leaders liked their presentations and career goals.

It's getting funner and funner.

Oh, and ONE of the women got a job last week, but will continue coming to class so she can learn how to advance, get a better job, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig
              Why feed the troll?
              Thank you for that brotherly admonition.

What your church is doing is awesome.
              It's been great - and TWO of our students came to our Car Clinic today! One of them stayed to help check and adjust tire pressures.

Comment

One of the single moms talked to me yesterday morning at Church, and told me she figured out that her decision to drop out of high school was a big mistake, and is one of the "roadblocks" we talk about on our career path. After Thursday night's class, she talked to one of our round table representatives, and will sit for her GED test before our class graduates in 4 weeks.

I think she can do it! We would present her with her "Jobs for Life Diploma" along with her GED at the Graduation service on Sunday Morning, November 23.

Comment

Moderated By: RumTumTugger

Firstfloors bigotted trolling attempt to derail moved where it belong here. Please next time folks do not feed the Troll. The Tweb Staff will take care of it if it gets to be a nuisance.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                  Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by RumTumTugger; 10-27-2014, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Thread much nicer now.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      Thread much nicer now.
                      Your welcome

Comment

So, our LAST CLASS is tomorrow night, and GRADUATION is Sunday morning during our Morning Worship Service.

We have SEVEN students who, as part of their vocational plan, will complete their GED within 6 months, and we have scholarships for all of them.

For NINE of the students, our GRADUATION service on Sunday Morning will be the first time they have graduated from ANYTHING! They have worked hard, and are paired up with "mentors" or (what Jobs For Life calls) "Champions", who will continue to encourage them through the execution of their vocational plans.

It's been a LOT OF WORK on the part of our Church -- probably a little more than we should have undertaken on our own -- but it will be well worth it in just a few short days!

Comment

Do you have a link for the program?
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Jobs for Life.Org

Comment

Thanks!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X