Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Should property owners be charged for the well water they use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should property owners be charged for the well water they use?

This is kind of civics and economics, so feel free to move it if necessary.

Texas is preparing to do a "study" on water wells and usage. This is obviously a first step toward taxing or charging usage fees for well water.

It will begin with a "survey" of land owners who have water wells -- "how much do you use, how deep is your well", etc....

Then I'm guessing they'll either require a meter on the well, or come up with some kind of metric based on total land area, number of cattle, size of crop producing fields, or whatever.

Should land owners be charged for well water they use?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

And the air they breathe, too!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      And the air they breathe, too!

Yeah, right?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Stupid governments!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          This is kind of civics and economics, so feel free to move it if necessary.

Texas is preparing to do a "study" on water wells and usage. This is obviously a first step toward taxing or charging usage fees for well water.

It will begin with a "survey" of land owners who have water wells -- "how much do you use, how deep is your well", etc....

Then I'm guessing they'll either require a meter on the well, or come up with some kind of metric based on total land area, number of cattle, size of crop producing fields, or whatever.

Should land owners be charged for well water they use?

You can make the argument when they do not own the aquifer - but since it's the infrastructure, not the water itself, that cities and counties actually supply I don't see why someone should be charged for providing their own infrastructure.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            You can make the argument when they do not own the aquifer - but since it's the infrastructure, not the water itself, that cities and counties actually supply I don't see why someone should be charged for providing their own infrastructure.
            Yeah, if I were tapping into their PLUMBING or something.....

Comment

But, taxpayers pay for the infrastructure, so even that argument is weak in the sense they want us to pay for water usage again!

Comment

But, taxpayers pay for the infrastructure, so even that argument is weak in the sense they want us to pay for water usage again!
                Well, if I buy "city water" it costs about $60 a month. My property is set up to use either/or/both. I use "city water" for drinking and bathing, and I use well water for irrigation, watering the livestock, and the outbuildings.

Comment

Well, if I buy "city water" it costs about $60 a month. My property is set up to use either/or/both. I use "city water" for drinking and bathing, and I use well water for irrigation, watering the livestock, and the outbuildings.
                  And you already paid for the infrastructure with your taxes, right?

Comment

Yup! But that's how it works here -- you pay property taxes AND you pay additionally per thousand gallons of water you use. And it is, indeed, metered. Oddly enough, many municipalities ALSO charge for "sewage", even though the property has its own septic tanks and isn't connected to the city's sewers.

Comment

No, most water services are fee based. The initial bonds might have been taxpayer funded but that will be repaid. Those systems are usually designed to be free standing of the tax structure - which is why water doesn't get really expensive when something affects the tax base.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Yup! But that's how it works here -- you pay property taxes AND you pay additionally per thousand gallons of water you use. And it is, indeed, metered. Oddly enough, many municipalities ALSO charge for "sewage", even though the property has its own septic tanks and isn't connected to the city's sewers.
                        That's how it is here, in the town in which I reside. We do have sewer lines, not septic tanks.

And garbage and recycling is also added to the monthly bill.

Comment

I suspect y'all are doing it backwards. The first question to ask is, should the government provide any service at all? Next, exactly which service? Only later: How is the government to finance the services that it provides? If you dismiss the free-market approach, I beg you to explain why.
                          The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                            I suspect y'all are doing it backwards. The first question to ask is, should the government provide any service at all? Next, exactly which service?
                            Eddy Chiles used to say "I think the government ought to defend our shores, deliver our mail, and leave us ALONE!"

Only later: How is the government to finance the services that it provides? If you dismiss the free-market approach, I beg you to explain why.
                            The free market approach for water being piped to my house would be a bit difficult -- there can't be a dozen water utilities running pipe all over the county to every house, giving the resident "choice" in the matter. The only "choice" most residents have is "pay for it or not".

Comment

Eddy Chiles used to say "I think the government ought to defend our shores, deliver our mail, and leave us ALONE!"
                              That would certainly be superior to what the world is now.

The free market approach for water being piped to my house would be a bit difficult -- there can't be a dozen water utilities running pipe all over the county to every house, giving the resident "choice" in the matter. The only "choice" most residents have is "pay for it or not".
                              Your last sentence is, I think, rather questionable. For one thing, recycling + well(s) + solar power is a viable option in many parts of the world now, I think. If not most parts.

I'm afraid full airing of the government v. no government debate will require a thread of its own.
                              The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X