Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why there will be more civil unrest to come.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riots and looting seemingly for no political reason.

In Chicago

2 shot as hundreds of rowdy teens clash with Chicago cops for second night

In Los Angeles

Compton deputies back on patrol following gas station looting

And this is when the economy is (supposedly) doing great, inflation is still high but (supposedly) falling, and unemployment is (supposedly) at record lows.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I confess I fail to understand why so many politico leaders admire dictatorships and want to convert their democracy to one. Maybe it really is all about power.
      You understand just fine.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        If government is able to control your access to money, either by making you dependent on them for an income, or by taking control of your bank account, and then ties it to something like a "social score" database, then they can use money as a means of social control.
        Exactly what Canada did during the Trucking strike. Not to mention that the fed controlling interest rates basically controls what people (and companies) can afford when it comes to buying and making things like houses, goods, and borrowing for big ticket items.
        Last edited by Sparko; 04-18-2023, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          You understand just fine.
          And now I'm sad. Knowledge may be power, but it does not bring happiness.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

And now I'm sad. Knowledge may be power, but it does not bring happiness.
            Still I think it is better in the long run than the "bliss" ignorance can bring.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Still I think it is better in the long run than the "bliss" ignorance can bring.
              You reminded me of a quote by Alexander Solzhenitsyn, "Truth hurts." In our age of comfort, no wonder no one wants the truth.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                Why the latest democrat inflation scapegoat narrative -- "corporate greed" -- is wrong (or just an intentional lie).

Well, we know why it's wrong because I've explained in great detail why prices are rising, which is a system of inflation (money printing). But this article specifically focuses on why corporate greed is not the cause of sudden rising prices. To the contrary, the PPI shows that businesses are likely HOLDING BACK raising prices to offset the inflation negatively affecting their own profit margin...

(bold emphasis mine)
                No, Inflation Is Not a Product of Corporate Greed
                Last time around they blamed unions' greed, and used it as an excuse to crush unions. Having done that, they don't have unions to use as scapegoats, so they find a new one.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

You reminded me of a quote by Alexander Solzhenitsyn, "Truth hurts." In our age of comfort, no wonder no one wants the truth.
                  Certainly truth hurts - usually the one who speaks it.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Certainly truth hurts - usually the one who speaks it.
                    That certainly fits the context of the quote.

Comment

Welcome to civil unrest...

Mob-style smash-and-grab robbery at Nordstrom store inside Topanga mall leaves shoppers on edge

Only this time it's actually related to criminal activity, which is a whole lot more closely related to economic matters than protests, riots, or demonstrations based on political issues. This looting crime spree phenomenon (some random and some coordinated) has apparently been happening nationwide for some time.

Though we had a bout of stagflation in 2022 as was predicted in the OP (where we had the CPI number peaking at 9% in June, at the same time we had six months of negative growth = stagflation), I believe we're going to have more stagflation in the coming months.

Btw, though the headline inflation number has been dropping, the core inflation number is still well above 4% and has come down only marginally compared to the headline number.
                      I hope all of the fatcat, elitist leftists in that area (lots of snooty actors in that vicinity) will take note. This is the society they are building. The minority of wealthy living alongside throngs of poor and homeless and desperate people who are responsible for such things.

The middle class - the consumer group that made them rich in the first place - is weakening in the Marxist utopia they are building. The same middle class that provides security and stability. The same middle class they despise for all of its traditional morality.

So, I say, relish what you* people created.

* "you" being the leftists
                      Last edited by Ronson; 08-13-2023, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Welcome to civil unrest...

Mob-style smash-and-grab robbery at Nordstrom store inside Topanga mall leaves shoppers on edge

Only this time it's actually related to criminal activity, which is a whole lot more closely related to economic matters than protests, riots, or demonstrations based on political issues. This looting crime spree phenomenon (some random and some coordinated) has apparently been happening nationwide for some time.

Though we had a bout of stagflation in 2022 as was predicted in the OP (where we had the CPI number peaking at 9% in June, at the same time we had six months of negative growth = stagflation), I believe we're going to have more stagflation in the coming months.

Btw, though the headline inflation number has been dropping, the core inflation number is still well above 4% and has come down only marginally compared to the headline number.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                          I hope all of the fatcat, elitist leftists in that area (lots of snooty actors in that vicinity) will take note. This is the society they are building. The minority of wealthy living alongside throngs of poor and homeless and desperate people who are responsible for such things.

The middle class - the consumer group that made them rich in the first place - is weakening in the Marxist utopia they are building. The same middle class that provides security and stability. The same middle class they despise for all of its traditional morality.

So, I say, relish what you* people created.

* "you" being the leftists
                          Sorry, Ronson, I deleted the initial post because I'm a hopeless perfectionist and wanted to change grammar errors.

Comment

Sorry, Ronson, I deleted the initial post because I'm a hopeless perfectionist and wanted to change grammar errors.
                            So, I ended up responding to a post that appears after mine. This is Twilight Zone stuff.

Comment

Labor strikes definitely fit into the economic civil unrest equation.

2022 saw a 50% increase in strikes, but that only represents the official number and may have been much higher...

Major strike activity increased nearly 50% in 2022

The U.S. labor movement saw a resurgence in 2022, with high-profile organizing campaigns at companies including Starbucks, Amazon, and Trader Joe’s. Further, more than 16 million workers were represented by a union in 2022—an increase of 200,000 from 2021 (Shierholz, Poydock, and McNicholas 2023). Unions also saw their highest approval rating in more than 50 years (McCarthy 2022).

One of the most prominent forms of collective action last year was the use of strikes. Throughout 2022, strikes provided workers critical leverage to bargain over fair pay, safe working conditions, and a fair share of the economy.

Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) show the number of workers involved in major work stoppages (strikes and similar activities) increased by nearly 50% compared with 2021. As the U.S. saw a reenergized labor movement and a hot labor market, 120,600 workers were involved in major work stoppages in 2022.

It is important to note that this number does not provide a complete picture of work stoppages in 2022. There are numerous examples of work stoppages involving fewer than 1,000 workers—which are not included in the BLS count. Many of these featured prominently in the news this past year.

2023 is expected to continue the trend...

Source: https://www.voanews.com/a/major-strikes-loom-in-us-labor-market-/7189659.html

The labor movement in the United States is having an unusually active moment, with as many as four high-profile strikes possible and a level of coordination among separate unions that experts say has been lacking in recent years.

In May, the Writers Guild of America, which represents film and television screenwriters, went on strike, followed last week by the Screen Actors Guild - American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA). The combination of the two has brought production of film and television programs in the U.S. to a near-complete halt.

While labor action in Hollywood has garnered plenty of headlines, its day-to-day impact on average Americans has been limited. That will not be the case if two other major unions, both in contract negotiations right now, wind up on the picket lines.

The United Auto Workers union (UAW) is negotiating with automakers General Motors, Ford and Stellantis — the so-called Big Three — to try to avert a strike that could result in hundreds of thousands of autoworkers walking off the job. At the same time, the Teamsters union is in discussions with shipping giant United Parcel Service over its contract with delivery drivers. A strike by either or both would be deeply felt across the U.S.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

And more civil unrest of the mass looting variety...

Source: https://6abc.com/philadelphia-pa-looting-center-city-foot-locker/13832625/

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- More than a dozen people were arrested after a massive group of juvenile looters ransacked businesses across Philadelphia on Tuesday night.

The chaos started around 7:30 p.m. after numerous 911 calls stated a large group, possibly as many as 100 or so, moving through Center City.

Video obtained by Action News captured a group of people taking items out of a Foot Locker store around 8 p.m. on the 1500 block of Chestnut Street in Center City. Several juveniles fled the scene, but at least one adult was arrested, police said.

Subsequent incidents of looting were reported in quick succession. At 8:12 p.m., officers responded to a call of looting at Lululemon located on the 1700 block of Walnut Street. In this case, officers successfully apprehended multiple individuals involved in the looting.

Around 8:18 p.m., a radio call reported looting at the Apple Store on the 1600 block of Walnut Street. No arrests were made at this time in connection with this incident, police said.

The store sustained losses in terms of phones and tablets, although numerous stolen items have since been recovered.

© Copyright Original Source

Though we now know full well that these incidents are not random like the riots and looting of 2020, as they have been occurring nationwide and ongoing for many months now.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X