Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bit Coin Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit Coin Troubles

Bitcoin price plunges after cryptocurrency exchange is hacked

A teenager in our church allegedly made $17,000 from having bought some bitcoin a couple years ago - his mother swears this is true, I have no way of knowing.

My granddaughter, therefore, was trying this weekend to talk me into "going in together" on bitcoin.

Maybe not so fast, eh?

bitcoin.jpg

There has been a sharp drop in the price of bitcoin and other virtual currencies after South Korean cryptocurrency exchange Coinrail was hacked over the weekend.

A tweet from Coinrail confirming the cyber-attack sent the price of bitcoin tumbling 10% on Sunday to two-month lows.

The world’s best-known cryptocurrency lost $500 (£372) in an hour, dropping to $6,627 on the Luxembourg exchange Bitstamp, while most other digital currencies also recorded large losses.

The latest attack highlights the lack of security and weak regulation of global cryptocurrency markets.

Coinrail later said in a statement on its website that its system was hit by “cyber intrusion” on Sunday, causing a loss for about 30% of the coins traded on the exchange. It did not quantify the value, but the local Yonhap news agency estimated that about 40bn won (£27.8m) worth of virtual coins was stolen.

Coinrail said: “Seventy percent of total coin and token reserves have been confirmed to be safely stored and moved to a cold wallet [not connected to the internet]. Two-thirds of stolen cryptocurrencies were withdrawn or frozen in partnership with related exchanges and coin companies. For the rest, we are looking into it with an investigative agency, related exchanges and coin developers.”

Police have begun an investigation, according to the Korea Herald, which cited a spokesperson as saying: “We secured the access history of Coinrail servers and we are in the process of analysing them.”

Bitcoin was trading at about $6,750 on Monday afternoon – down from an all-time peak of almost $20,000 in the week before Christmas. In February, it fell to $5,900.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Never trusted ghost money. It is basically a stock market with no product or company. The prices fly around and climb up based on rumors, then fall when crap like this happens. Sure you can make $20,000 in a day, but you can lose it in a day too.

I have $10 in bitcoin (probably worth $5 now!) that I just bought to have something to track. Maybe I will get lucky and make a $1M

Comment

Cryptomining is the #1 cyber threat right now.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Cryptomining is the #1 cyber threat right now.
        You would know.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Cryptocurrency just doesn't seem to be a very stable investment over the long haul
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            Cryptocurrency just doesn't seem to be a very stable investment over the long haul
            seems easily manipulated too. Especially if you are a hacker. You just have to attack some site, shut them down, and the price will drop like a rock. Buy all the bitcoin you want then wait for it to climb up, sell it, then rinse, repeat.

It is also easy to create your own cyrptocurrency and do an Initial Coin Offering, luring in suckers to invest in the next big thing. This is basically the snake oil of the 21st century.

It has legitimate purposes but it is also very easy to use as a con or fraud and to manipulate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Never trusted ghost money. It is basically a stock market with no product or company. The prices fly around and climb up based on rumors, then fall when crap like this happens. Sure you can make $20,000 in a day, but you can lose it in a day too.

I have $10 in bitcoin (probably worth $5 now!) that I just bought to have something to track. Maybe I will get lucky and make a $1M
              If you still have that "$10" in bitcoin, now's an excellent time to cash out. BTC was like $43k yesterday, FYI.
              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post

If you still have that "$10" in bitcoin, now's an excellent time to cash out. BTC was like $43k yesterday, FYI.
                Yeah! I pulled it out last week. Got $160!

Comment

seems easily manipulated too. Especially if you are a hacker. You just have to attack some site, shut them down, and the price will drop like a rock. Buy all the bitcoin you want then wait for it to climb up, sell it, then rinse, repeat.

It is also easy to create your own cyrptocurrency and do an Initial Coin Offering, luring in suckers to invest in the next big thing. This is basically the snake oil of the 21st century.

It has legitimate purposes but it is also very easy to use as a con or fraud and to manipulate.
                  It seems a lot of folks get into Cryptocurrency for the same reason one would buy silver or gold. Inflation's looming around the corner to rear it's ugly head- especially after all the COVID spending- so they're looking for an insurance policy of some sort that won't hooch them over like a Saving's Account or just stuffing cash under your mattress.
                  Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

I know someone who's son had some bit coins or currency (apparently it is the only currency some "businesses" in Amsterdam accept when selling some questionable smoking product), and when the price shot up used it to put a substantial down payment on a car.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post

It seems a lot of folks get into Cryptocurrency for the same reason one would buy silver or gold. Inflation's looming around the corner to rear it's ugly head- especially after all the COVID spending- so they're looking for an insurance policy of some sort that won't hooch them over like a Saving's Account or just stuffing cash under your mattress.
                      Well Crypto ain't it. It's value is based on nothing but popularity. It can go up or down at any time. Right now it's going up. A lot. But at any time, even on a whim, it can drop like a stone. It's basically a form of gambling. You can make a killing or get killed.

I have a minimum amount in Bit Coin and Etherium right now, I had a hundred bucks as of a couple of months ago. Right now it is worth about $400. But it could drop to zip just as easily.
                      Last edited by Sparko; 04-27-2021, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I know someone who's son had some bit coins or currency (apparently it is the only currency some "businesses" in Amsterdam accept when selling some questionable smoking product), and when the price shot up used it to put a substantial down payment on a car.
                        that $10 bucks I mentioned earlier rose to like $350. I took some out and left in a couple hundred which is now worth $400. Let er ride.

if anyone is interested in investing in crypto, PM me. I can get you set up and get a bonus for both of us.
                        Last edited by Sparko; 04-27-2021, 02:06 PM.

Comment

I bought $1K worth of Doge on Thursday in anticipation of Elon Musk hosting SNL today. I'm up $200 at this moment. I plan to sell tomorrow and go into Etherium for the longer ride.

Comment

that $10 bucks I mentioned earlier rose to like $350. I took some out and left in a couple hundred which is now worth $400. Let er ride.

if anyone is interested in investing in crypto, PM me. I can get you set up and get a bonus for both of us.
                            Yeah, my youngest daughter was asking me about this, and I discovered I don't know as much as I'd like.
                            Hit me up!

Comment

And I remember when two bits were worth only 25 cents.
                              When I Survey....

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X