Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Congratulations! You've won a valuable prize! About hackers, scammers and deceptions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    That one has been around for awhile. So was sending a 50 cent flyswatter for $5 plus shipping.

Then there's Steven Comisar the conman who got his start advertising a "solar-powered clothes dryer" in various popular magazines for only $49.95.

You probably guessed it. He sent them a length of rope for a clothesline.
    I do like that one..........!

I have been receiving but ignoring regular calls from a Birmingham number which good old google tells me is a scam-call number with scores of complaints about it, and so I have never answered it...until yesterday, when for the sake of this thread I did.

I answered and said 'Hello'.
    The caller said,' Hi, my name is Chris and I am calling from the EGB (electrical generating board maybe?) to research homes in the CT6 area..........'
    At this point Chris sounded quite good, and I really wanted to know more...... he might even just have been genuine at this point.
    Chris continued '....... So you're the owner of the property where you are, yes?'
    And now I really really wanted to hear the whole thing. I was going to have something really naughty to report,,,,,,
    ..... But I messed it up!
    I asked Chris 'What company did you say you worked for Chris?'

..... And there was a click and Chris was gone !!! I was quite saddened.... what was so worrying about my simple question?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Let me help with your joke: It would be funnier if it was a "solar powered clothes dryer" and he sent them a clothesline.
      I did like the 'solar powered....' start. I pictured the solar lights and fountain in our garden and my emergency solar-voltaic charger, and all those solar powered road signs out there...... I could perceive some folks reacting to such an advert.... anything to do with solar powered products.

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

I do like that one..........!

I have been receiving but ignoring regular calls from a Birmingham number which good old google tells me is a scam-call number with scores of complaints about it, and so I have never answered it...until yesterday, when for the sake of this thread I did.

I answered and said 'Hello'.
        The caller said,' Hi, my name is Chris and I am calling from the EGB (electrical generating board maybe?) to research homes in the CT6 area..........'
        At this point Chris sounded quite good, and I really wanted to know more...... he might even just have been genuine at this point.
        Chris continued '....... So you're the owner of the property where you are, yes?'
        And now I really really wanted to hear the whole thing. I was going to have something really naughty to report,,,,,,
        ..... But I messed it up!
        I asked Chris 'What company did you say you worked for Chris?'

..... And there was a click and Chris was gone !!! I was quite saddened.... what was so worrying about my simple question?
        If I have the time I like to troll the scammers, especially the computer scammers. I once had someone call me and tell me they were from Microsoft and they noticed that my computer had a virus on it and wanted to remote in and take care of it for me. How nice!

So I played dumb as they gave me instructions. like,
        "OK, now click on the search box on the task bar and type "Remote Desktop""
        and I would go "What is the task bar? Is that the big wide button on my keyboard?"
        "No! That's your space bar! The task bar is at the bottom of your computer monitor!"
        "Thats the screen thingy right?"
        "Yes."
        "The task bar just says "Samsung" on it.
        "What? That is the frame of your monitor, not the task bar"

and so on.

Eventually they get tired and hang up.

One time I knew it was a scammer by the caller id (my phone has an app that can recognize scam numbers) and I answered. "Hello, Agent Smith, Ohio FBI, how can I help you?" and they hung up pretty quickly for some reason.

Comment

Jack Vale regularly scams the scammers. You need to turn the captioning on. And there's a bit of crude language.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

If I have the time I like to troll the scammers, especially the computer scammers. I once had someone call me and tell me they were from Microsoft and they noticed that my computer had a virus on it and wanted to remote in and take care of it for me. How nice!

So I played dumb as they gave me instructions. like,
            "OK, now click on the search box on the task bar and type "Remote Desktop""
            and I would go "What is the task bar? Is that the big wide button on my keyboard?"
            "No! That's your space bar! The task bar is at the bottom of your computer monitor!"
            "Thats the screen thingy right?"
            "Yes."
            "The task bar just says "Samsung" on it.
            "What? That is the frame of your monitor, not the task bar"

and so on.

Eventually they get tired and hang up.

One time I knew it was a scammer by the caller id (my phone has an app that can recognize scam numbers) and I answered. "Hello, Agent Smith, Ohio FBI, how can I help you?" and they hung up pretty quickly for some reason.
            Ha ha...! Good fun!
            It's typical..... At the moment I would like to receive spam, scam and junk calls, just to keep this thread going, but so far today, nothing!

Comment

Ha ha...! Good fun!
              It's typical..... At the moment I would like to receive spam, scam and junk calls, just to keep this thread going, but so far today, nothing!
              Check your spam folder! I am sure some Nigerian Prince wants to send you a million or two!

Comment

Check your spam folder! I am sure some Nigerian Prince wants to send you a million or two!
                Ah....yes. I have won a 178 piece Stanley tool set..... Well, that's cheered me up somewhat!
                I had to click on 'confirm' for details, so I will guess that just clicking confirm can earn the sender money; maybe the sender can sell responding email addresses to others?

Comment

In the UK Martin Lewis is a well known money making/saving guru.
                  He is featured in 'money' programs each day
                  And so this scam could have influenced many unsuspecting folks!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...3cfefaf90f3f45 56a24ebc99ad7b2509&ei=58
                  Martin Lewis issues warning over 'frightening' scam as he demands urgent action
                  Martin Lewis is warning Britons that scammers are using AI "deepfake" videos of him to con victims out of money.
                  The Money Saving Expert has described the new scam as “frightening” and said lives will be ruined unless big technology firms are stopped from publishing fraudulent content.
                  The videos dubbed "deepfakes" are realistic AI-generated clips of people that show them saying or doing things they have not done.
                  He warned his Twitter followers about the new scam on Thursday evening.

And:-

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...1470e19c626e48 84ac972709035a9fbd&ei=18

Martin Lewis has said he may sue Facebook after a deepfake scam purporting to show him endorsing an investment scheme circulated on the site.

The video, a “deepfake” which uses existing images and sounds to create convincing but artificial footage of a person, showed the personal finance expert apparently endorsing an investment scheme from Tesla founder and billionaire Elon Musk.

The founder of Money Saving Expert alerted his followers to the scam on Thursday night and appeared on live television the following morning saying he was “viscerally angry”, adding the video was “going round” on Facebook.

Comment

In the UK Martin Lewis is a well known money making/saving guru.
                    He is featured in 'money' programs each day
                    And so this scam could have influenced many unsuspecting folks!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...3cfefaf90f3f45 56a24ebc99ad7b2509&ei=58
                    Martin Lewis issues warning over 'frightening' scam as he demands urgent action
                    Martin Lewis is warning Britons that scammers are using AI "deepfake" videos of him to con victims out of money.
                    The Money Saving Expert has described the new scam as “frightening” and said lives will be ruined unless big technology firms are stopped from publishing fraudulent content.
                    The videos dubbed "deepfakes" are realistic AI-generated clips of people that show them saying or doing things they have not done.
                    He warned his Twitter followers about the new scam on Thursday evening.

And:-

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...1470e19c626e48 84ac972709035a9fbd&ei=18

Martin Lewis has said he may sue Facebook after a deepfake scam purporting to show him endorsing an investment scheme circulated on the site.

The video, a “deepfake” which uses existing images and sounds to create convincing but artificial footage of a person, showed the personal finance expert apparently endorsing an investment scheme from Tesla founder and billionaire Elon Musk.

The founder of Money Saving Expert alerted his followers to the scam on Thursday night and appeared on live television the following morning saying he was “viscerally angry”, adding the video was “going round” on Facebook.
                    interesting. Apparently AI is going to be used by scammers to fool people.

Here is a guy using AI to fool scammers!

Comment

;
                      Update

Yesterday I received a text message yesterday, from an 07473- number to inform me that:-
                      Delivery will be suspended due to missing address details, please resubmit with a new address https://--.--/jgobb

So many of us shop online now that it's a fairly safe bet that anybody who receives such a message might be worrying about losing a purchased item, and so replies with an address and questions could be responding.

The sender is probably just 'blanket transmitting' to thousands of blocks of numbers, knowing that a % will be received by a number holder, and where they receive responses with addresses then they've got a saleable item of information, a mobile number with address, and possibly even a name. They could then sell these 'conformed' numbers by the thousands at a low cost for each one to marketing, sales, scamming companies.

Comment

It never rains but pours!!
                        Yesterday evening I also received a call from an 01884- number and on answering, a robot explained that I have been reported to HM Customs/Revenue and that a warranted officer will be coming to arrest me, and that I can discuss this situation immediately by pressing 1 on my keypad. I expect that many call recipients might be tempted to press 1 just to tell any person responding what to do with themselves, but I reckon that any answer wins for the sender because they are probably collecting numbers that reply at all, for sale by the thousand.

Where a worried person is answering then a trained deception artist might be able to gain a mass of information.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                            Very good fun!
                            Thank you.

Comment

Very good fun!
                              Thank you.
                              I should have shared this one. She does an old woman voice and a Siri imitation.

Comment

Oh what joy!
                                Wednesday 5.22 pm

Hi Peter
                                A refund up to 12,000 is unclaimed. Tax was taken from past PPI/Loans and is owed back.
                                Click now :
                                vsms.io/GB

...and then not long after I get this one.......... !

Wednesday 5.40 pm

From 'Zone Refund'
                                A refund of up to 12,000 is unclaimed. Tax was taken from past PPI//Loans and is owed back.
                                Click now:
                                vsms.io/GB

And since I never took out a loan which included the fake 'personal protection insurance' which was supposed to protect from any inability to pay back through sickness, injury etc, this was a sad attempt to get me to click on either of those 'sites'........ the addresses are real so please don't enter either of them.

Moderated By: Sparko

I removed your links. Please don't post potentially dangerous links on theologyweb.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                                Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Sparko; 11-20-2023, 02:25 PM.

Comment