Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Sam's Club - Empty Shelves - Free Shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam's Club - Empty Shelves - Free Shipping

So, we don't want to 'panic buy', but we do want to be stocked up for a few months because prices are soaring, or "out of stock".

We like Sam's Club, but it's 50 miles away, so you always have to consider gasoline and driving time to offset any savings by buying in bulk.
    And just "buying in bulk" at Sam's is no guaranty you're getting the best deal.

So, wife and I were planning on going to Sam's early this morning (they open early for "Plus" members) because trucks were supposed to stock last night (according to a store employee).

We knew this cold front was coming through, and it would probably be raining like crazy at that hour, so last night I decided to look online.

Pretty much ALL of the stuff we would want to buy was available with FREE SHOPPING for "Plus" members!!!

So, we ordered a couple cases of canned green beans, corn, carrots, potatoes... a couple cases of toilet paper and paper towels, and some other staples, ALL of which will be delivered to our house for FREE!!!! (well, paying for the goods, of course, but shipping is free)

So, I had Amazon open in one browser window, Sam's Club in the other to compare prices, and Sam's Club blew away the prices at Amazon on most items.

I don't have to drive all the way to Sam's to see empty shelves for the items I want. WHO KNEW!!!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

There is more available online for Sam's than in the stores, in my experience. Fortunately, we have two Sam's Clubs and a Costco within easy distance.

I also checked on gasoline prices and quality offered by these two competitors. Sam's gasoline is considered "good" but not "top tier", where Costco is also "good" and IS "top tier." From what I can gather, "good" means minimal ethanol added, and "top tier" contains a detergent for your engine. To attain zero ethanol, it appears one would need to purchase premium.

Price-wise, it is a no brainer. In my area, gas prices are generally between $2.90 to $3.10 a gallon. But at Sam's and Costco, it is $2.61.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      There is more available online for Sam's than in the stores, in my experience. Fortunately, we have two Sam's Clubs and a Costco within easy distance.

I also checked on gasoline prices and quality offered by these two competitors. Sam's gasoline is considered "good" but not "top tier", where Costco is also "good" and IS "top tier." From what I can gather, "good" means minimal ethanol added, and "top tier" contains a detergent for your engine. To attain zero ethanol, it appears one would need to purchase premium.

Price-wise, it is a no brainer. In my area, gas prices are generally between $2.90 to $3.10 a gallon. But at Sam's and Costco, it is $2.61.
      cool
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        So, we don't want to 'panic buy', but we do want to be stocked up for a few months because prices are soaring, or "out of stock".

We like Sam's Club, but it's 50 miles away, so you always have to consider gasoline and driving time to offset any savings by buying in bulk.
        And just "buying in bulk" at Sam's is no guaranty you're getting the best deal.

So, wife and I were planning on going to Sam's early this morning (they open early for "Plus" members) because trucks were supposed to stock last night (according to a store employee).

We knew this cold front was coming through, and it would probably be raining like crazy at that hour, so last night I decided to look online.

Pretty much ALL of the stuff we would want to buy was available with FREE SHOPPING for "Plus" members!!!

So, we ordered a couple cases of canned green beans, corn, carrots, potatoes... a couple cases of toilet paper and paper towels, and some other staples, ALL of which will be delivered to our house for FREE!!!! (well, paying for the goods, of course, but shipping is free)

So, I had Amazon open in one browser window, Sam's Club in the other to compare prices, and Sam's Club blew away the prices at Amazon on most items.

I don't have to drive all the way to Sam's to see empty shelves for the items I want. WHO KNEW!!!
        I have noticed that for cleaning supplies, household goods and groceries that Amazon's prices are way high. I think what happens is that people buy the stuff from places like Sam's and the resell them on Amazon at a huge mark-up hoping nobody will notice. I was looking for some toilet bowl cleaner at Kroger's the other day but they were out ($2.05/bottle) - so I checked Amazon. $13.34/bottle. LOL.

Amazon is good on electronics and sometimes clothes but not much else and it always pays to check other places.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I have noticed that for cleaning supplies, household goods and groceries that Amazon's prices are way high. I think what happens is that people buy the stuff from places like Sam's and the resell them on Amazon at a huge mark-up hoping nobody will notice. I was looking for some toilet bowl cleaner at Kroger's the other day but they were out ($2.05/bottle) - so I checked Amazon. $13.34/bottle. LOL.

Amazon is good on electronics and sometimes clothes but not much else and it always pays to check other places.
          Yeah, you can't get sucked into believing you're going to get the best deal on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson
            Gas prices in my area are $6.50/gallon. And we grow the stuff here.

We don't have Sam's. We have Costco, but the closest one to us is about 30 minutes away. We do go there, but not more than once every 4 months. I get severe anxiety in that place. It's always SO busy and I hate crowds in the first place. I will not go to any store on the weekend, because I know there will be more people there than I am comfortable with.

It's time to go to Costco again, though. I am putting it off until after the 31st.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

We don't have Sam's. We have Costco, but the closest one to us is about 30 minutes away. We do go there, but not more than once every 4 months. I get severe anxiety in that place. It's always SO busy and I hate crowds in the first place. I will not go to any store on the weekend, because I know there will be more people there than I am comfortable with.

It's time to go to Costco again, though. I am putting it off until after the 31st.
              FREE SHIPPING!!!!! (at least from Sam's)

Comment

So, wife went to Sam's at lunch (she works in the same town, 50 miles away) and reported that the TP we ordered was very low on stock, and "limit one per customer".

Several of the other items we ordered (and are on the way) were 'empty shelf'.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I know Biden is to blame for the rising prices here. On average, they've jumped about 30% since he took office and threw in the monkey wrenches.

I don't know about Costco, but as CP said, Sam's has free shipping. If you can join their membership from a distance, perhaps you would qualify.

Comment

FREE SHIPPING!!!!! (at least from Sam's)
                    Exchange rate!!!!!!!!!!!

And probably not free shipping to Canada!!!!!!!!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I don't know about Costco, but as CP said, Sam's has free shipping. If you can join their membership from a distance, perhaps you would qualify.
                      I had actually been re-evaluating our membership cost, since we really don't go there nearly enough. But since I don't have to GO there, and get FREE SHIPPING, it's well worth it!

Comment

I know Biden is to blame for the rising prices here. On average, they've jumped about 30% since he took office and threw in the monkey wrenches.
                        I expect the cancelling on the Keystone pipeline and the destruction of Alberta's petroleum industry, thanks to Trudeau, both have affected our prices. As well as the supply and demand issue that always causes problems with prices spiking.

Yeah. I doubt there is free shipping to Canada, and the exchange rate would make it prohibitive. As long as I have Mr. mossy or MelMak with me when I go to Costco, I know I will mostly be ok. But I sure do want to get out of there in a hurry.

Also, the concrete floors really bother my arthritic hips.

Comment

OH, and I forgot one of the most important things!!!!

If I don't actually GO to Sam's, I miss out on their TREMENDOUS meal values!!!

Pizza and a Coke, or a Hot Dog and a Coke for like 37 cents, or something!

And the Pizza and Hot Dogs are ginormous!!!

Comment

Free shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

hotdog.jpg

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X