Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Fill it up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colonial Pipeline paid the Darkside ransomware gang nearly $5 million Friday despite publicly saying they wouldn’t pay a ransom to resume operations, according to Bloomberg.

The Alpharetta, Ga.-based pipeline giant paid the ransom in untraceable cryptocurrency within hours of the initial attack, two people familiar with the transaction told Bloomberg. Once Darkside received the payment, Bloomberg said they provided Colonial with a decrypting tool to restore its computer network.

However, Darkside’s decryption tool was so slow that Colonial continued using its own backups to help restore the system, a source familiar with the company’s efforts told Bloomberg. Colonial declined to comment to Bloomberg, and didn’t immediately respond to a CRN request for comment.
    https://www.crn.com/news/security/co...-attack-report

Idiots. If they had backups, why pay the ransom? All that does is encourage this to happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Colonial Pipeline paid the Darkside ransomware gang nearly $5 million Friday despite publicly saying they wouldn’t pay a ransom to resume operations, according to Bloomberg.

The Alpharetta, Ga.-based pipeline giant paid the ransom in untraceable cryptocurrency within hours of the initial attack, two people familiar with the transaction told Bloomberg. Once Darkside received the payment, Bloomberg said they provided Colonial with a decrypting tool to restore its computer network.

However, Darkside’s decryption tool was so slow that Colonial continued using its own backups to help restore the system, a source familiar with the company’s efforts told Bloomberg. Colonial declined to comment to Bloomberg, and didn’t immediately respond to a CRN request for comment.
      https://www.crn.com/news/security/co...-attack-report

Idiots. If they had backups, why pay the ransom? All that does is encourage this to happen again.
      I'm surprised that's not illegal.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

I'm surprised that's not illegal.
        I think the issue of paying a ransom was decided legally wrt kidnapping cases

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I think the issue of paying a ransom was decided legally wrt kidnapping cases
          And the US never negotiates with terrorists (except when it does).
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And the US never negotiates with terrorists (except when it does).
            Astolutely

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

One of the stations went from 2.59 to 2.65, but the others up and down the strip are holding at 2.59.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Heck no! I am working from home and don't even use any gas. I filled up already. Now I am set to make a killing.

I am selling a gallon of gas for $50, or 6 rolls of toilet paper or three 2x4s!
                toothpick-lumber-seeds-5-dollars.jpg

Comment

The hackers smell weakness.
                  It appears that as far as the hackers were concerned, this was just one more ransomware attack, as has been going on since long before Biden took office. They appear to have been surprised that Colonial reacted by shutting down its pipeline.

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/14/colonial-pipeline-hack-doesnt-mean-more-ransomware-attacks-critical-infrastructure.html

This attack targeted the company’s traditional information technology network, not its operational technology network — that is, the systems that move valves, start and stop pumps, measure things, and so on. Colonial Pipeline made the call to shut down its OT network and pipeline after discovering the breach, not DarkSide.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Yeah, Darkside is doing a lot of PR trying to mitigate the backlash.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

It appears that as far as the hackers were concerned, this was just one more ransomware attack, as has been going on since long before Biden took office. They appear to have been surprised that Colonial reacted by shutting down its pipeline.

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/14/colonial-pipeline-hack-doesnt-mean-more-ransomware-attacks-critical-infrastructure.html

This attack targeted the company’s traditional information technology network, not its operational technology network — that is, the systems that move valves, start and stop pumps, measure things, and so on. Colonial Pipeline made the call to shut down its OT network and pipeline after discovering the breach, not DarkSide.

© Copyright Original Source

Yeah because hackers are so trustworthy that the pipeline could bank that they didn't mess with their operational technology. They did the right thing shutting the pipeline down, but the wrong thing in paying the ransom.

Comment

• This is just a reminder for people to keep frequent backups, at least several versions back.

I use Acronis True Image which does backups and has built in ransomware protection.

Comment

• Prices by the university are still 3.09 and up but at the Kroger 2.85

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah because hackers are so trustworthy that the pipeline could bank that they didn't mess with their operational technology. They did the right thing shutting the pipeline down, but the wrong thing in paying the ransom.
                            Agreed. I was just responding to your comment, "The hackers smell weakness."

The hackers weren't doing anything new.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              This is just a reminder for people to keep frequent backups, at least several versions back.

I use Acronis True Image which does backups and has built in ransomware protection.
                              You didn't mention that in my computer security thread.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• I hope my eastern relatives are ok.

To make you all feel better, the gas station I frequent posted 3.96 yesterday, and it's the cheapest gas I touch...there's one cheaper but I think there's *really* bad quality there...don't ask me how I know, it just does.
                                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X