Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Fill it up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It's quite possible that gasoline will go DOWN in our area, as supply increases locally because it can't be pumped to the NE fast enough.
    And other areas like out west and here probably won't get hit as hard but they'll still use it as an excuse to jack up the price even though those pipelines aren't affected.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      And other areas like out west and here probably won't get hit as hard but they'll still use it as an excuse to jack up the price even though those pipelines aren't affected.
      Yeah, it always amazed me how fast the prices can go up because, for example, a skirmish in the Middle East (before we were energy independent) then now LONG it took after that conflict was over for the prices to normalize.

Never let a crisis go to waste.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Biden should just go ahead and shut down that whole pipeline anyway and replace it with Green Jobs™

Comment

I'm glad I filled up on Saturday night now.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yeah, it always amazed me how fast the prices can go up because, for example, a skirmish in the Middle East (before we were energy independent) then now LONG it took after that conflict was over for the prices to normalize.

A friend of mine used to defend the rapid increases saying that they need to raise the funds to afford to buy more gas at the higher price.

Fine.

But then they should immediately drop the price because they won't need as much to buy more gas at the lower price.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              I'm glad I filled up on Saturday night now.
              Kind of why I posted this. To give everyone here a chance to get some gas before you need to take out a second mortgage in order to do so.

Comment

To a large extent, there's the "Toilet Paper Shortage" principle.

A) There's a reason to believe gas prices will increase
                2) Lots of people rush to purchase gasoline before the increase
                C) The sudden increase in demand lowers supply
                IV) Gas prices are nudge higher
                5) Prices increase
                F) Goto A
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

5) Prices increase
                  F) Goto A
                  Yeah. We literally having people filling their tanks and then topping it off when they get to work and again when they get back home.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

4.4 litres = 5.54/Imperial gallon.

4 litres = 5.04/American gallon.

All you need is a calculator (in my case), or a brain (which I'm pretty sure you have).
                    1.26 per liter * 3.78541 liters per us gallon = 4.77 per us gallon

If those are Canadian dollars, then you need to divide by 1.21 to get us dollars

4.77 / 1.21 = 3.94 us dollars per us gallon

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

1.26 per liter * 3.78541 liters per us gallon = 4.77 per us gallon

If those are Canadian dollars, then you need to divide by 1.21 to get us dollars

4.77 / 1.21 = 3.94 us dollars per us gallon
                      The national average is currently $2.97 so we're effectively now only a dollar less a gallon than Canuckistan

Comment

5) Prices increase
                        F) Goto A
                        Speaking of which. The higher wood prices are making toilet paper more expensive, which will lead to a new shortage as people try to buy it all up fast.

Rising wood prices are making your toilet paper more expensive

New York (CNN Business)Just when you thought you were in the clear to stock up on toilet paper again, wood pulp, the primary raw material used to make it, is getting more expensive.

"We've never seen monthly price increases like this in the history of the business," said Brian McClay, a pulp industry analyst. "It's unheard of."

Prices for market pulp have jumped from $606 per metric ton in September to more than $907 per metric ton in April, McClay said.
                        https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/07/busin...20pulp%20costs.

Comment

To be fair, the tanks in the ground have to fund the next delivery to the station. The prices are more about what the stations expect to be paying - and we don't notice as much when they lower prices below the tank recoupment cost.

And yes, unscrupulous stations do take advantage.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

EVERYTHING is shooting up in price. Restaurants and grocery stores are begging wholesalers to ship them their stock before food prices go up yet again. Even some liberal economists are predicting that we'll be facing inflation numbers like what we experienced under Carter (double digit inflation!) due to all the money the government is throwing around.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              To be fair, the tanks in the ground have to fund the next delivery to the station. The prices are more about what the stations expect to be paying - and we don't notice as much when they lower prices below the tank recoupment cost.

Fine. When the price starts to drop then they can immediately start dropping the price at the pump because, after all, the prices are more about what the stations expect to be paying -- which will be less.

But has anyone ever seen that happening?

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                That's a bit oversimplified, because they also want to charge the most they can, keeping an eye on the other stations in town, because it's so easy for shoppers to compare prices.

I used to use GasBuddy quite a bit when I was traveling a lot for that purpose.

I don't think there are nearly as many "stations" (as in independently owned or operated) so the pricing comes from corporate.

Comment