Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Misrep at A Voice for Men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misrep at A Voice for Men

First, there are points and concepts within the men's rights movements that I support and have sympathy for. However the movement itself is nothing more than feminism in reverse and has all the faults that the former has in polar opposite. Rampant misogyny instead of rampant misandry.

This seems a blatant misrep

This article (warning- MRM commenters love their naughty words for lady parts)

http://www.avoiceformen.com/misandry...g-goes-native/

Says that

"feminism has always celebrated ‘female’ anger."

And gives this link as support

http://www.thenation.com/blog/172524...ists-so-angry#

But that article says the opposite.

I am not arguing the point whether or not female anger is celebrated in feminism, I think it is, as male anger is celebrated in MRMs, but the use of a link that totally doesn't support the point.
    Last edited by Darth Xena; 02-21-2014, 12:20 PM.
    The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

It is a shame that the movement's ugly excesses have made it more difficult to bring up legitimate points about how men can have trouble with visitation rights and that sort of thing, because they immediately get dismissed as being MSMs without getting a fair hearing.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I think the day has come that we should just ascertain 'equal rights*' and not worry about which group is which.

*In law, this is a limited concept to 'human' and 'has certain inherent traits' and 'the right of free expression/thought'. It DOES NOT include 'everyone having the right to behave any way they happen to want to' - so put your clothes on before you go outside or 'it's okay as long as everyone consents' - so no, you can't date a 15 year old unless you are one yourself or 'it's only not okay if it hurts someone else directly' - so yes, you really do have to take the motor oil to the disposal site and not use the toilet... Race, sex, age and creed - things you cannot change or have a guaranteed right to (creed).
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        I think the day has come that we should just ascertain 'equal rights*' and not worry about which group is which.
        I think that's a little too simplistic because both sexes have different respective needs (i.e. men don't have to worry about getting sacked from their jobs because they get pregnant), and they can't be considered in a vacuum without respect to who is who.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          It is a shame that the movement's ugly excesses have made it more difficult to bring up legitimate points about how men can have trouble with visitation rights and that sort of thing, because they immediately get dismissed as being MSMs without getting a fair hearing.
          Unfortunately, this is all too accurate. Both the MSM and the less hysterical branches of feminism have good and valid points that should be discussed. Unfortunately, both movements are absolutely "et up" with people who drown out the valid points with rampant cases of terminal stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by KG
            Agreed. But it's MRM, not MSM (whole different category there.... )
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Agreed. But it's MRM, not MSM (whole different category there.... )

Oops, right.

Comment

Er, guys - MRM, not MSM - unless you mean to specify guys who have sex with other guys....

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  Oops, right.
                  Um, monkey see, monkey do?

Comment

The problem is that in feminism, the people who think women should have more rights then men or are superior to men are in the minority, whereas in men's rights activism, there's a majority denying systematic sexism against women. It's a case of the enlightened and the ignorant.

Comment

Er, guys - MRM, not MSM - unless you mean to specify guys who have sex with other guys....
                      I read "MSM" as "mainstream media".

Comment

Originally posted by KG
                        I think that's a little too simplistic because both sexes have different respective needs (i.e. men don't have to worry about getting sacked from their jobs because they get pregnant), and they can't be considered in a vacuum without respect to who is who.
                        While there are some cases where that's true, the majority of the problem seems to me to be in the 'us v them' category. We can make exception for the few cases where the group distinction has inalterable effect (guys will never get pregnant... er, naturally, anyway...) without having to treat every instance as a 'your group hates our group' thing.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                          The problem is that in feminism, the people who think women should have more rights then men or are superior to men are in the minority,
                          This depends on local factors. Where I live, the "I'm more equal than you are" folks are loud and proud.

Comment

Originally posted by KG
                            I read "MSM" as "mainstream media".
                            Yeah, yeah - this is REason 526 why no one ever wants my job...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                              This depends on local factors. Where I live, the "I'm more equal than you are" folks are loud and proud.
                              That seems to be the case of fringe groups in general.

Comment