Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The nature and history of Executive Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Outis View Post
    Darth Executor is not interested in my views. Seemingly, he is only interested in winning, regardless of the methods needed. My advice: let him win. It makes him happy, and since I have him on ignore, it makes me no difference.
    You are wrong. I think your views are dangerous and will respond to your posts regardless of whether you interact with me or not to ensure third parties are fully aware of any spin or falsehood you publicly display. I think people who believe many of the things you do are bringing the world to ruin and to let it go unchallenged would be a considerable moral failing on my part. That is my primary motivation. That I always win is just a nice bonus.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
      Darth Executor is not interested in my views. Seemingly, he is only interested in winning, regardless of the methods needed. My advice: let him win. It makes him happy, and since I have him on ignore, it makes me no difference.
      I too have only limited patience with this type of pointless discussion.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        As I explained (and will explain for the last time since there's no point in beating this dead horse anymore) he is the one who appended the Bush red herring to his argument. If he doesn't want me or anyone else scoring easy hits he shouldn't have done it.

If he doesn't he shouldn't have brought it up. But he did, as part of an effort to insinuate that CP only objects because Obama's a Democrat, so it's fair game, whether he believes it or not.
        I have no objection to your challenging a red herring or sticking up for my friend and fellow Southern Baptist, but you would be able to do so much more effectively if you refrain from mixing that with misrepresentation.
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          When is Obamacare NOT a tax? When the libs don't want it to be, so they can sell it to the public.
          What IS Obamacare a tax? When the libs want it to be, so they can regulate/implement/delay it by executive order.

(The Constitution mandates compliance with the Origination Clause (Art. I, Sec. 7), that tax bills must originate in the House of Representatives.)
          Whether you call it a tax or a fine, the individual mandate was always known to be, as a legal matter, enforced through the tax framework by the IRS. That's why the penalty is applied to an individual's tax deduction and the government doesn't send a bill to people lacking insurance telling them to pay up.

And since the IRS is a division of the Treasury Department and the Treasury Department is an executive department, the president can use executive orders to manage the implementation of tax provisions. Remember how Mitt Romney routinely promised to waive the individual mandate on Day One of his presidency? Totally legal, at least for one or two years.

—Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment