Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What is the cause? Society problem of a high divorce rate and single parent families?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am soooo tempted to report that veiled profanity
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      Please don't Roy, I'm already on the very edge of being tossed overboard.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Please don't Roy, I'm already on the very edge of being tossed overboard.
        Aw, ...*

Roy

*I find myself unable to complete this sentence without falling afoul of the same rule
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Aw, ...*

Roy

*I find myself unable to complete this sentence without falling afoul of the same rule
          Inserts missing chicken joke....
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Veiled or otherwise, it doesn't address the argument...as we're coming to expect from this member.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Nobody said it was, but it's certainly not something two men can do. A baby with two daddies is deprived of the very valuable healthy component of breast feeding - not just physical benefit, but psychological and sociological as well.
              It's a pretty irrelevant point when it's not even a practice observed by all (most?) mothers in heterosexual marriages. Kids do just fine with or without it. It's not uncommon for breastfeeding to be non-viable for a lot of physiological reasons, either.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I blame everything that's wrong with me (and that's plenty) on my mother being unable to breastfeed me.
                Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                  I blame everything that's wrong with me (and that's plenty) on my mother being unable to breastfeed me.
                  Well there's plenty wrong with me and my mother did breast feed me so what's your point?
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Amd among the "plenty wrong with" you may be the whole, you know....
                    Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                      It's a pretty irrelevant point when it's not even a practice observed by all (most?) mothers in heterosexual marriages. Kids do just fine with or without it. It's not uncommon for breastfeeding to be non-viable for a lot of physiological reasons, either.
                      Sure, they do just fine, but what are you saying about breastfeeding? Is it your opinion that it provides no health benefits, or that it does not create stronger bonds between mother and child?

As to the practical difference between a heterosexual and homosexual household, do you know any children raised by homosexuals? Do you know any adopted children?

Before mentioning the library of evidence in support of a "traditional" home, that is, children raised by their biological mother and father, the identity issues that surface in the lives of dozens of adopted children in families that I have personally known are far too common to dismiss.

I promise you that children do become aware of the fact that the people who gave them life are noticeably absent. They do question, and it does leave an emotional impact. Yes, their adoptive parent(s) can do a wonderful job raising them, but they do not forget. The question of whether or not they will inherit their biological parent's propensity to abandon others and emotionally disconnect, or become incarcerated, make poor decisions, etc., is bound up in their psyche. A person's identity is not such a shallow thing. Where we come from has a deep impact on who we are, who we think we are, and what we might become.

To say that it doesn't really matter who raises a child is simply baffling. Surely you recognize some degree of difference. Do you really not concede at all?

Comment

Nursing is not the hill I'd choose to die on. However I would argue more that the idea of two parents one male and one female, sets a child up for a more secure identity in life. (I am not speaking about households where parents are "absent or bad parents as in REALLY bad or neglectful) But I think that identity crises are less common in loving two parent male /female houses as opposed to alternative home settings. Thats not to say that single parents can't raise good children. FYI nursing is not the dictator of a bond between parent and child and in some cases formula feeding is actually healthier, so lets please not start that argument....
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by nico View Post
                          Sure, they do just fine, but what are you saying about breastfeeding? Is it your opinion that it provides no health benefits, or that it does not create stronger bonds between mother and child?

As to the practical difference between a heterosexual and homosexual household, do you know any children raised by homosexuals? Do you know any adopted children?

Before mentioning the library of evidence in support of a "traditional" home, that is, children raised by their biological mother and father, the identity issues that surface in the lives of dozens of adopted children in families that I have personally known are far too common to dismiss.

I promise you that children do become aware of the fact that the people who gave them life are noticeably absent. They do question, and it does leave an emotional impact. Yes, their adoptive parent(s) can do a wonderful job raising them, but they do not forget. The question of whether or not they will inherit their biological parent's propensity to abandon others and emotionally disconnect, or become incarcerated, make poor decisions, etc., is bound up in their psyche. A person's identity is not such a shallow thing. Where we come from has a deep impact on who we are, who we think we are, and what we might become.

To say that it doesn't really matter who raises a child is simply baffling. Surely you recognize some degree of difference. Do you really not concede at all?
                          Too late to edit here but two things I missed...

First, only the first statement was directed to Carrikature.
                          Second, whether single parent, heterosexual or homosexual households, healthy children can and do grow in any of them. I omitted to say that the question of identity exists in a non-traditional home in a way that is not present in the life of a person who was raised in a healthy environment by their biological parents.

Comment

Originally posted by nico View Post
                            That it's irrelevant in a discussion about homosexual vs heterosexual parenting, for a multitude of reasons. Its benefits are not enough of a reason on their own, especially when it's not an observed practice among all heterosexual mothers.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                              That it's irrelevant in a discussion about homosexual vs heterosexual parenting, for a multitude of reasons. Its benefits are not enough of a reason on their own, especially when it's not an observed practice among all heterosexual mothers.
                              Exactly! All the studies indicate that the most important aspect of parenting is the provision of a stable, caring, nurturing home environment...regardless of the gender of the parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                Exactly! All the studies indicate that the most important aspect of parenting is the provision of a stable, caring, nurturing home environment...regardless of the gender of the parents.
                                Well I don't think anyone is going to argue stability. But its being taken too far in order to prove something that is not necessarily good. Let me try to explain it:
                                Best for a child over all: Father and Mother, Stable Loving environment.
                                What's the next best thing? Single parent stable home with a strong loving bond and role model from both parents. Ideally both parents work for whats in the best interest of the child
                                Next? Single parent of either gender with a strong role model of the opposite gender from family, teachers, clergy etc.
                                And so on. However Rather than provide resources to counsel parents to stay together and work out their problems (exceptions are made for abuse neglect drugs alcohol, affairs) its just too easy to say I'm unhappy and walk away. I'm not going to provide arguments against the divorce system, but I will argue that the psychological system here is broken and does not reinforce the two parent each of one gender enough or really much at all. In doing so not enough is done in family therapy systems to counsel parents and help homes that are struggling and could easily be stable and loving
                                George Bernard Shaw

Comment