Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What is the cause? Society problem of a high divorce rate and single parent families?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You believe that a little girl growing up with two men and no mommy is just as good as with a mommy and a daddy?
    The research suggests this is the case. All the reputable studies indicate that the important component of child-rearing is loving and supportive parenting regardless of the gender of the parents.

"We conclude that there is a clear consensus in the social science literature indicating that American children living within same-sex parent households fare just as well as those children residing within different-sex parent households over a wide array of well-being measures: academic performance, cognitive development, social development, psychological health, early sexual activity, and substance abuse. Our assessment of the literature is based on credible and methodologically sound studies that compare well-being outcomes of children residing within same-sex and different-sex parent families. Differences that exist in child well-being are largely due to socioeconomic circumstances and family stability.” - See more at: http://journalistsresource.org/studi....JETPOMyC.dpuf
    Are you expecting conservatives to addresssaid evidence? I mean, you've seen how they responded to the scientific consensus on AGW with denialism; so there's no way there's no reason to think they'll accept the scientific consensus on the topic of same-sex parent households.

Just be prepared for said conservative posters to conveniently ignore what you just posted.
    "Instead, we argue, it is necessary to shift the debate from the subject under consideration, instead exposing to public scrutiny the tactics they [denialists] employ and identifying them publicly for what they are."

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      I notice Shuny decided to ignore this part of your post and seems to have even deleted it when he responded to your post. I guess he does not like it when people point out how he tries to put words in people's mouths rather than quote them correctly and respond appropriately. Likewise, you do not seem to appreciate his goofiness. It is an acquired taste, I guess.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        Spanner: is not the preferred family not the two-parent model, but the two-parent-plus-grandparents/aunts/uncles/friends/neighbours model?
        good point!
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Is breast feeding of any value at all? Which daddy does that?
          Breast feeding is certainly of value, although many mothers don't...but it's not the only valuable component in parenting.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Breast feeding is certainly of value,
            I'd say more than just "of value".

although many mothers don't...
            Doesn't change the fact that it's healthy and part of design.

but it's not the only valuable component in parenting.
            Nobody said it was, but it's certainly not something two men can do. A baby with two daddies is deprived of the very valuable healthy component of breast feeding - not just physical benefit, but psychological and sociological as well.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Spanner: is not the preferred family not the two-parent model, but the two-parent-plus-grandparents/aunts/uncles/friends/neighbours model?
              Yes, indeed! For most of human history the nuclear family wasn't the norm, the extended family was.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Yes, indeed! For most of human history the nuclear family wasn't the norm, the extended family was.
                Such a Tazzy statement.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Such a Tazzy statement.
                  What's wrong with Tassman's statement, as well as the parallel view presented by Hillary Clinton?

Frank

Comment

I'd say more than just "of value".
                    No, “of value” covers it. Breast feeding is good but not essential.

Doesn't change the fact that it's healthy and part of design.
                    Design???

Nobody said it was, but it's certainly not something two men can do. A baby with two daddies is deprived of the very valuable healthy component of breast feeding - not just physical benefit, but psychological and sociological as well.
                    True to a point but you're overstating the case, breast feeding is not essential in the rearing of well adjusted, healthy children. Again: “Extensive data available from more than 30 years of research reveal that children raised by gay and lesbian parents have demonstrated resilience with regard to social, psychological, and sexual health despite economic and legal disparities and social stigma. Many studies have demonstrated that children’s well-being is affected much more by their relationships with their parents, their parents’ sense of competence and security, and the presence of social and economic support for the family than by the gender or the sexual orientation of their parents. - See more at: http://journalistsresource.org/studi....vgehTOaI.dpuf

Such a Tazzy statement.
                    By which you mean a true statement of course, CP not being one to poison the well or mock.
                    Last edited by Tassman; 01-05-2016, 09:33 PM.

Comment

No, “of value” covers it.
                      Nope

Design???
                      Yes.

By which you mean a true statement of course, CP not being one to poison the well or mock.
                      By which I mean it's not really worth reading, but I was bored.

Comment

Nope
                        Yep!

Yes.
                        Yes what, Intelligent Design???

By which I mean it's not really worth reading, but I was bored.
                        But of course you are. Who needs extensive research and its findings when they already have their presupposed conclusions.

Comment

Yep!
                          Whatever you say, Tazzy.

Comment

Whatever you say, Tazzy.
                            Indeed! You obviously don't have a viable argument.

Comment

I might better have posted here what I wrote in my Post #15 just now in "Those Liberal Social Scientists":
                              http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...sts-quot/page2
                              and to expand the quotation from my 1970 article:
                              The so called"social sciences" are outside the realm of universal forms.
                              Only if their "laws" and generalizations corresponded to universal
                              forms could they be sciences. They could probably become sciences
                              if they would apply the facts of heredity known from the natural
                              sciences into the social sphere. At the moment, however, they are
                              really "social anti-science" because they make generalizations based
                              on assumptions which science can disprove.
                              Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                                I might better have posted here what I wrote in my Post #15 just now in "Those Liberal Social Scientists":
                                http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...sts-quot/page2
                                and to expand the quotation from my 1970 article:
                                You mean "Those Liberal Social Scientists" like those at:

The University of Virgina

Michigan State University

The University of Amsterdam and New York State Psychiatric Institute

Florida State University

Stanford University

The University of California-San Francisco, the University of California-Los Angeles and the University of Amsterdam

Tufts University, Boston Medical Center and the Committee on Psychosocial Aspects of Child and Family Health

“Child Well-Being in Same-Sex Parent Families: Review of Research Prepared for American Sociological Association”.

All of these are reputable institutions of learning and the common finding has been that: “Gay and lesbian adoptive parents in this sample fell into the desirable range of the parenting scale and their children have strength levels equal to or exceeding the scale norms”. - See more at: http://journalistsresource.org/studi....sT0S3H0S.dpuf.

Where do you go to find non-liberal social scientists, Liberty University?

Comment