Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Surrogate Mother Told to Abort Female Triplet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surrogate Mother Told to Abort Female Triplet!

SPECIAL NOTE: This is an effort to focus discussion. Separate thread (http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...rogate-Mothers) is in Pro-life for those who want to concentrate on what protections surrogate moms should have to avoid this issue

This Thread is for debate on ALL aspects of this issue.

http://liveactionnews.org/second-sur...ured-to-abort/
    Last edited by DesertBerean; 12-17-2015, 12:56 PM.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Moderator Notice

We are giving a special dispensation for DB to start 2 threads on the same subject one in Civics and one in Prolife activism remember pro life activism is not the area to debate the merits or demerits of abortion if you want to do that do so in Civics try to keep both threads on topic please

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Comment

The Catholic in me says we shouldn't have surrogacy (not domestic and certainly not international) or even in vitro fertilization.
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

From the Post:

Originally posted by New York Post
        In both the Torres and Cook cases, the intended parents claimed a provision in their contract gave them the right to order an abortion, and have suspended some payments to the surrogates for breaching it.

Torres says she agreed to become a surrogate after the sister of the intended mom had written on Facebook about how the couple couldn’t have kids.

The intended parents initially seemed excited about having three babies, she said. But around week 12 of the pregnancy, they demanded that she abort the female fetus, claiming increased medical risks for developmental disabilities.

“I emailed my doctors. There were no abnormalities,” Torres said, going on to describe a difficult talk with the biological mother.
        I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that the 'parents' who are so disconnected from biology's common human experiences that they hire a surrogate mother, then expect her and her doctor to seamlessly kill one of three babies she's been carrying since the start because ITS IN THE CONTRACT, probably aren't the sort of people who should be raising children in the first place.

Comment

I would consider this a recognized form of discrimination based on sex as grounds for refusal to abort.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            I would consider this a recognized form of discrimination based on sex as grounds for refusal to abort.
            Unless they only want two and it 'just makes sense' to pick the pair. It's still crazy.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Maybe it's because multiple births are riskier? I still don't think selective reduction is okay, obviously.
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Maybe it's because multiple births are riskier? I still don't think selective reduction is okay, obviously.
                They're really vague about that. The surrogate did ask the doctors and they said there where no developmental issues.

Comment

Well, atleast the people who think she should abort one of the babies can't use the argument that "it's her body, she has the right to do whatever she wants with it", in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                    Well, atleast the people who think she should abort one of the babies can't use the argument that "it's her body, she has the right to do whatever she wants with it", in this case.
                    The first comment on that article:

wfedwardsjr • 2 days ago

"MY BODY MY CHOICE!
                    wait that won't work here...
                    MY BABY MY CHOICE!
                    oh wait, can't say baby...
                    MY PRODUCT OF CONCEPTION MY CHOICE!
                    whew, that was close. maybe we can get a bumper sticker for that"

I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Lol, yeah. I saw that.

Comment

Here's the other option. The surrogate says, well I don't want the money, and keeps the babies.
                        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Chillanodon View Post
                          From the Post:

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that the 'parents' who are so disconnected from biology's common human experiences that they hire a surrogate mother, then expect her and her doctor to seamlessly kill one of three babies she's been carrying since the start because ITS IN THE CONTRACT, probably aren't the sort of people who should be raising children in the first place.
                          What were the adopted parents going to tell the kids when they grew up... we killed your sister because it wasn't in the contract?

Comment

They did apparently allow the option of abortion for medical reasons...which I personally believe is a pretty sticky area. This appears to be the crux of the dispute. The claims of what the doctors said about the "viability" of the babes...

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              What were the adopted parents going to tell the kids when they grew up... we killed your sister because it wasn't in the contract?
                              ...or...better. "...it WAS in the contract"!

Comment