Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why not create a word for matrimony blessed by GOD (Christian Marriage)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not create a word for matrimony blessed by GOD (Christian Marriage)

I do not know if this is the right forum.

The meaning of word sometimes changes depending on the need of the society or just to make something “acceptable”. One word that changed is the word gay. In the early 80’, I understood gay as "full of joy, merry; light-hearted, carefree" but by late 80’ it means “homosexual”. I no longer hear the word gay used other that to refer to “homosexual” and I should adopt with it so that I could understand the meaning of what people say.

Now, with the word marriage, do we really need to cling to its old meaning? If the society where we reside wanted to change its meaning and resistance is futile, we should adopt. If we wanted to differentiate Christian marriage from other marriages, it would be better that we create a word for it. So anyone have a word it mind?

Also, is creating a new word bad?

It would just be usurped again within a decade
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Why should we abandon it just because some attempt to hijack the term?

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post

That would not be so weird.*

*Only funny if you're an etymologist or a "Macbeth" fan*
        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

I don't know, some are fated to understand it whether they meet your criteria or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            I don't know, some are fated to understand it whether they meet your criteria or not.
            +1
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
              I'm not sure about abandoning the term marriage, but haven't we "abandoned" words in the past?

The concept of a marriage with the blessing from God, a Christian marriage, would just be easier to teach to Christian children if there is a word exclusive to its meaning. I honestly think that there is a need for this due to the legalization of marriages that are unacceptable in the Bible. When the time comes that I will have to teach my daughter about the concept of marriage, I have to be extra careful in using the term marriage. By that time, society will have come up with several additions to the term marriage that are unacceptable in the Bible.

Comment

+1
                Now if only I could remember where I learned it. For some reason I am thinking an episode of Doctor Who.

Comment

Not really a Shakespeare fan....

Anyway, if it's weird then why don't we use an old term? Maybe something that even society will recognize as exclusive to mean a Christian marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    It would just be usurped again within a decade
                    Maybe yes, maybe no. That is why we need a term that even society will recognize as exclusive to mean a Christian marriage.

Comment

Now if only I could remember where I learned it. For some reason I am thinking an episode of Doctor Who.
                      Hmmm... Did the bad wolf say it?

Comment

Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
                        Hmmm... Did the bad wolf say it?
                        Um, no. I think it was The Doctor. I could be wrong about where I heard it though. Remember, it's not funny if you have to explain the joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
                          Maybe yes, maybe no. That is why we need a term that even society will recognize as exclusive to mean a Christian marriage.
                          The problem is that some homosexuals think that they are Christians, despite their un-repented sin, so they will claim the name for theirs because they mistakenly think God sanctions their sin.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The problem is that some homosexuals think that they are Christians, despite their un-repented sin, so they will claim the name for theirs because they mistakenly think God sanctions their sin.
                            If only "no un-repented sin" was actually a specified condition...
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

While Bill and I have many disagreements about this topic, yeah, this would cause a lot of problems. Some people who identify as Christians reject homosexuality as sinful, some people who identify as Christians regard homosexuality as acceptable. Frankly, it would become another battlefield.

Comment