Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass murderer Breivik threatens to go on hunger strike ... for better video games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Outis View Post
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...1-f7a1e6925bb0

I think someone needs to call the poor boy a waaaaaambulance.
    It appears that wanting his PlayStation 2 console replaced by a later version along "with access to more adult games that I get to choose myself" is only one of the things that he is demanding. He also demands
    • A sofa or armchair

• A bigger gym

• Prison officials to stop monitoring his mail

• More access to a telephone

• Improved air conditioning

• His weekly allowance of 300 kroner ($49) to be doubled

• Access to a PC rather than a “worthless typewriter, technology that dates back to 1873”

Breivik has previously claimed that his living conditions amount to "aggravated torture" and now whines, “You've put me in hell ... and I won’t manage to survive that long,” he added. “You are killing me.” He also warned that, “If I die, all of Europe’s right-wing extremists will know exactly who it was that tortured me to death .... That could have consequences for certain individuals in the short term but also when Norway is once again ruled by a fascist regime in 13 to 40 years from now."

No word on whether or not he'll drop his demands in exchange for a hug

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    Ok, I got a plan. Give him one of the original game boys where the contrast control is broke.

Leave a comment:

• Leonhard
    replied
    Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
    If Norwegians were still Vikings, Brevik would have never done his deed in the first place, after all.
    This is what we used to do people like him in Denmark. I hope you haven't gone soft on him Epo.

Leave a comment:

• Epoetker
    replied
    I know almost nothing of Norwegian law, but I'm given to understand (perhaps incorrectly) that in other countries that use a similar "until he is no danger to the public" guideline (specifically England), there is a fairly elaborate procedure for deciding whether or not the person actually is a danger, including the chance for the person to appear before a judge and argue their case, legal representation, medical and psychological evaluations, and the like. I'm also given to understand that in such cases, the burden of proof is on the government to establish that the person is a continuing danger, not upon the person to establish that they are safe. If Norway has similar procedures, then while I acknowledge that the potential of danger you cite is very real, there is some hope that it is mitigated by the procedures.
    And what if an evil fascist dictatorship is elected later, as Brevik certainly seems to be hoping?

Leave a comment:

• Outis
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I understand the desire to provide sentences that will realistically serve the needs of society, but this kind of sentence can become nebulous. I read the other day about a local case where somebody committed some sex offenses a couple of decades ago, and their sentence ended five years ago, but the state refused to release him because they felt he was a threat to re-offend. This was used as rationale to hold him nearly five years without a trial before a judge said he had to be let go. (For what it's worth, there is evidence the person appears to have reformed somewhat in prison.) I can see people being okay with this kind of thing on a case by case basis, but in general, it can lead to some bad results and I believe sentences should be no more or no less than what they are set at (and this goes too for Norwegian "life sentences" masquerading as 21 year sentences).
    I know almost nothing of Norwegian law, but I'm given to understand (perhaps incorrectly) that in other countries that use a similar "until he is no danger to the public" guideline (specifically England), there is a fairly elaborate procedure for deciding whether or not the person actually is a danger, including the chance for the person to appear before a judge and argue their case, legal representation, medical and psychological evaluations, and the like. I'm also given to understand that in such cases, the burden of proof is on the government to establish that the person is a continuing danger, not upon the person to establish that they are safe. If Norway has similar procedures, then while I acknowledge that the potential of danger you cite is very real, there is some hope that it is mitigated by the procedures.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Technically, he got 21 years--that's the maximum sentence in Norway. The actual sentence is "as long as he is a danger to society," and unless he has a radical change of worldview, he will never see the outside of prison as a free man.
    I understand the desire to provide sentences that will realistically serve the needs of society, but this kind of sentence can become nebulous. I read the other day about a local case where somebody committed some sex offenses a couple of decades ago, and their sentence ended five years ago, but the state refused to release him because they felt he was a threat to re-offend. This was used as rationale to hold him nearly five years without a trial before a judge said he had to be let go. (For what it's worth, there is evidence the person appears to have reformed somewhat in prison.) I can see people being okay with this kind of thing on a case by case basis, but in general, it can lead to some bad results and I believe sentences should be no more or no less than what they are set at (and this goes too for Norwegian "life sentences" masquerading as 21 year sentences).

Leave a comment:

• Epoetker
    replied
    For that, the fault is with the law, not the courts. Frankly, if there was ever a list of cases that proved the need for a death sentence, this is high on the list, imo.
    The fault is with the entire Norwegian society. Norway didn't give the death sentence to the violent Pakistani murderers, pimps, and other various thugs they imported into their cities; they're certainly not about to give it to Brevik. The main concern is that Brevik is being treated unequally with regard to the other prisoners, possibly because of certain vindictive elements among the prison staff. But this absolutely violates Norway's liberal dedication to both human equality and following proper bureaucratic and legal procedure, and we can only hope that such petty, cruel and unusual punishment is halted in the ongoing Norwegian crusade to show themselves the most enlightened white people in Europe.

If Norwegians were still Vikings, Brevik would have never done his deed in the first place, after all.
    Last edited by Epoetker; 02-18-2014, 12:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Outis
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    idiotic of them. 21 year maximum? for what was it, 79 people? That's just a few months per victim. The least they could have done is 21 years per person.
    For that, the fault is with the law, not the courts. Frankly, if there was ever a list of cases that proved the need for a death sentence, this is high on the list, imo.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Technically, he got 21 years--that's the maximum sentence in Norway. The actual sentence is "as long as he is a danger to society," and unless he has a radical change of worldview, he will never see the outside of prison as a free man.
    idiotic of them. 21 year maximum? for what was it, 79 people? That's just a few months per victim. The least they could have done is 21 years per person.

Leave a comment:

• Outis
    replied
    He only got 21 years for killing almost 100 people? Really? They should have executed him or given him 500 years and no privileges whatsoever.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    He only got 21 years for killing almost 100 people? Really? They should have executed him or given him 500 years and no privileges whatsoever.
    Give him a ratty old deck of cards that's missing two cards to play solitaire with.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Outis
    replied
    Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
    From the same source:

in a letter received by AFP Friday.
    For those not in the know, Agence France-Presse is a French news agency.

Leave a comment:

• Epoetker
    replied
    Kinda shoots your theory in the foot to know that Breivik sent the demand letter to the press himself, eh?
    Ahem:

In the letter dated January 29
    Plenty of time, looks like. Norwegian politics isn't quite my strong suit, but press shenanigans are common wherever liberals are found.

Leave a comment:

• Outis
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    I don't have a violin small enough.
    As long as you can play "My heart bleeds purple peanut butter for you," it should suffice.

Leave a comment: