Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Telling it like it is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adam View Post
    Let's give it a rest.
    No, these beliefs are not specific to Calvinism. These are foundation beliefs of the traditional Christian Churches, including the largest church in the world the Roman Church.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-08-2015, 06:37 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Yes, that's true, as St. Augustine in the 4th Century was a Roman Catholic. That's not news. Nor is it news that Paul invented lots of new theology that was a departure not just from Judaism but from his fellow Jewish Christians. So Christianity existed before Paul without Paul's doctrines that YOU say are foundational to Christianity.
      Then along comes Augustine of Hippo three centuries later and ossifies Paulism into Augustinianism, a very predestinarian leap beyond anything preceding him and very much rejecting the prior leading Christian theologian (and philosopher and Bible critic), Origen.
      Then eleven centuries later comes John Calvin and the development into Calvinism that is now rejected by almost all Christians.
      Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

No, Frank,
        She is telling you (do you ever listen?) aboutBishop Gustav Aulen's "reincarnation" of THE traditional Christian theory of Atonement, the Classical Theory of Atonement.
        Based on Jesus's words in Mark we find Jesus had to die to free Earth from Satan's dominion. As Satan as an angel pre-dated Adam, you are wrong to hold as essential that the non-Biblical concept of Original Sin and the not expressly biblical concept of the Fall of Adam.
        Don't expect me to reply if you go off on your usual excuses for why in spite of everything you are not wrong.
        One note: Satan's dominion on earth began with the Fall and Original Sin.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Yes, that's true, as St. Augustine in the 4th Century was a Roman Catholic. That's not news. Nor is it news that Paul invented lots of new theology that was a departure not just from Judaism but from his fellow Jewish Christians. So Christianity existed before Paul without Paul's doctrines that YOU say are foundational to Christianity.
          Then along comes Augustine of Hippo three centuries later and ossifies Paulism into Augustinianism, a very predestinarian leap beyond anything preceding him and very much rejecting the prior leading Christian theologian (and philosopher and Bible critic), Origen.
          Then eleven centuries later comes John Calvin and the development into Calvinism that is now rejected by almost all Christians.
          Yes, Calvinism is rejected by most, but these beliefs are not just Calvinist. It remains central tenants of the Roman Church taught in the catechism, the largest church in the world, and widely accepted among fundamentalist Christians.

Frank

Comment