Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More money = more votes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More money = more votes?

At least, this guy thinks so.

(No, I don't think so, but everybody knows that.)

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/14/inve...-perkins-vote/
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

That'd just be formalising how society works already.

Comment

I say we assign votes based on the number of puns you can get published. Now, don't be thinking I'm trying to privilege myself here ...

I sent in ten puns to a contest once, hoping for at least one winner, but no pun in ten did.

Comment

Let's give them the option to, in addition to the taxes they pay (or don't, may be more likely), buy more votes at a rate that increases exponentially: 1 million each for the first 5 votes, 10 million for the next 5, etc. Or something like that.
        Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrs View Post
          That'd just be formalising how society works already.
          um....

no. The US is a representative republic. We only vote for the PEOPLE we want to make the decisions for us. We don't normally get a popular vote done for things although if enough people make a stink something is usually done.

Comment

Yes, but in reality it's the people with money who get laws written for them :P

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              um....

no. The US is a representative republic. We only vote for the PEOPLE we want to make the decisions for us. We don't normally get a popular vote done for things although if enough people make a stink something is usually done.
              Right, the people we didn't ask to pick among in the first place...
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                Right, the people we didn't ask to pick among in the first place...
                that's where the money comes in. The more money you have the more popularity you can buy and afford to campaign for office.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  that's where the money comes in. The more money you have the more popularity you can buy and afford to campaign for office.
                  I'd say it's less about buying popularity directly than it is buying access to Congressmen, lobbyists, and their various front organizations. Voting is mostly a foregone conclusion among certain racial blocs, the real money is sneaking in your particular piece of legislation between elections. For that, popularity among Washington's hermetically sealed environment is more important than general popularity among voters.

Comment

If money didn't equal more votes then you wouldn't see the onslaught of money being poured into the electoral process that you do. Really, its as simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      If money didn't equal more votes then you wouldn't see the onslaught of money being poured into the electoral process that you do. Really, its as simple as that.
                      You can waste all sorts of money on consultants simply because you've always been doing it that way. The Republicans sure did in the last election! But seriously, it had far less to do with the money spent on the election than the far greater amount spent on fighting voter-ID and immigration laws, or in making transfer payments to unproductive people (or, perhaps, to people whose only value are in their ability to pull levers for the right guy.) What's spent on elections is a pittance compared to that.

Comment