Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

On discussing political issues on the Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On discussing political issues on the Internet

I found point 8 to be particularly interesting.

“Political Correctness” is a catchphrase which today means one of two things. The first is, “I have done no substantial thinking on this topic in at least twenty years and therefore anything I say past this point cannot be treated with any seriousness.” The second is “It is more important for me to continue my ingrained bigotry than it is for you not to be denigrated or offended by my bigotry, because I am lazy and do not wish to be bothered.” If in fact you do not intend to convey either of these two things, you should not use, nor sign on to a document which uses, the phrase “political correctness.”
    http://whatever.scalzi.com/2014/02/1...dom-of-speech/

I loathe the term "political correctness" and its derivatives. Attempts at shutting down discourse through hysterical screeching rather than reasoned argument should be combated by further offending the modern witch hunters, not whining or begging forgiveness.

Scalzi's problem, for example, isn't that he's "politically correct". It's that he's an evil scumbag.

Point 1, 2,3 and 4 are more interesting though. I suspect Scalzi would be singing a different tune if nobody would help publish his books because they don't like his opinions.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Political correctness occurs when the privileged have some consideration for the marginalized. This is unmanly and should be conspicuously avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
        Political correctness occurs when the privileged have some consideration for the marginalized. This is unmanly and should be conspicuously avoided.
        The point of the paragraph was to note that "political correctness" is a false accusation. Those who accuse others of political correctness are usually trying to dismiss arguments than refute them.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
          The point of the paragraph was to note that "political correctness" is a false accusation. Those who accuse others of political correctness are usually trying to dismiss arguments than refute them.
          Arguments that X shouldn't be argued because it upsets some "marginalized" faction of the progressive ruling class should be dismissed.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Soyeong
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]296[/ATTACH]
            It's been long enough for people to realize that attachments don't work. Upload it to imgur and link it from there.

Comment

Political correctness means changing the meaning of a word to appease someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinoy View Post
                Political correctness means changing the meaning of a word to appease someone else.
                Actually, for the most part, "political correctness" means refraining from calling me a feeb or cripple because I am physically disabled. It has nothing to do with changing words. It has to do with avoiding giving insult.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  It's been long enough for people to realize that attachments don't work. Upload it to imgur and link it from there.
                  It works if you post something and then edit it to add the attachment. You caught me in between when I was editing my post and when I decided to delete it because the attachment was too small to read.
                  "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Actually, for the most part, "political correctness" means refraining from calling me a feeb or cripple because I am physically disabled.
                    No, that's just good manners.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                      No, that's just good manners.
                      Precisely. Re-read the paragraph in the OP.

People today mis-use the accusation of "political correctness" to dismiss arguments they don't agree with.

Comment

Actually, for the most part, "political correctness" means refraining from calling me a feeb or cripple because I am physically disabled. It has nothing to do with changing words. It has to do with avoiding giving insult.
                        Someone who is obsessed over political correctness is patronizing. There is no insult accurately describing someone as the are.
                        "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
                          Someone who is obsessed over political correctness is patronizing. There is no insult accurately describing someone as the are.
                          Calling me a "feeb" is not insulting?

Comment

Calling me a "feeb" is not insulting?
                            If you are feeble, then using it as an adjective to describe you as feeble is not insulting. Using it as noun and calling you it as though it were a defining characteristic of who you are is insulting. I don't see how someone calling you a phys dis would be any less insulting.

Comment

A working definition of political correctness can be derived from Scalzi's disclaimer:

Everything on the site is my opinion (except comments written by others, which are their opinions). I have strong opinions. At times, you may not agree with these opinions, or how I choose to express them. This is not my problem.

I make no claims as toward being even-handed, fair, or nice. I write what I want here. Your being offended is not a reason for me to stop writing as I choose.

I run this site as I please. You do not get a vote. If you try to suggest that you do, I may be rude to you.
                              "Political correctness is that which Progressives can do to you that you cannot do to them."

Comment