Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

On discussing political issues on the Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
    If you are feeble, then using it as an adjective to describe you as feeble is not insulting. Using it as noun and calling you it as though it were a defining characteristic of who you are is insulting. I don't see how someone calling you a phys dis would be any less insulting.
    Are you familiar with the difference between denotation and connotation?

(Note, that is a serious question, not snark.)

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
      Are you familiar with the difference between denotation and connotation?

(Note, that is a serious question, not snark.)
      There are some words that have such a strong connotation that they can no longer be used for their original meaning, but for the most it is patronizing to treat people as though they aren't mature enough to own up to an accurate description of them.
      "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

There are some words that have such a strong connotation that they can no longer be used for their original meaning, but for the most it is patronizing to treat people as though they aren't mature enough to own up to an accurate description of them.
        So, if you were to call me "the feeb", any insult on my part is a lack of maturity?

How about if you were to refer to a person of African ancestry by the N-word?

Comment

So, if you were to call me "the feeb", any insult on my part is a lack of maturity?
          I already said calling you a feeb would be an insult. If you are feeble and you couldn't handle being accurately described, then you would lack maturity.

"Negro" obviously has a very strong connotation.
          Last edited by Soyeong; 02-14-2014, 12:19 AM.
          "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

I already said calling you a feeb was an insult. If you are feeble and you couldn't handle being accurately described, then you would lack maturity.
            Soyeong, I am physically feeble. The term "the feeb" is most certainly an insult. Using that term reduces me verbally until my disability is all that I am. My body is feeble, my mind is not ... yet by using that word, the speaker indicates that all I am is a disability.

"Negro" obviously has a very strong connotation.
            I was referring to the even more offensive one. Oh, to be sure, they are accurate descriptions: we get those words from the Spanish word for "black."

The problem is, there are terms that are "accurate descriptions," but are still insults. Pejorative terms can be completely accurate, yet still pejorative.

Comment

Soyeong, I am physically feeble. The term "the feeb" is most certainly an insult. Using that term reduces me verbally until my disability is all that I am. My body is feeble, my mind is not ... yet by using that word, the speaker indicates that all I am is a disability.
              I'm aware of that, which is why I said this at the start of this conversation:

Originally posted by Soyeong
              Using it as noun and calling you it as though it were a defining characteristic of who you are is insulting.

Originally posted by Outis
              I was referring to the even more offensive one. Oh, to be sure, they are accurate descriptions: we get those words from the Spanish word for "black."

The problem is, there are terms that are "accurate descriptions," but are still insults. Pejorative terms can be completely accurate, yet still pejorative.
              I hesitated in using it only because I wasn't 100% certain that it was allowable in the campus decorum. But I did say:

Originally posted by Soyeong

Comment

I hesitated in using it only because I wasn't 100% certain that it was allowable in the campus decorum.
                A wise decision--I do not believe it is allowable, and am thankful that it is not.

But I did say:

Soyeong, do you know what all the "accurate but pejorative" words are?

I'm not saying "Don't call a spade a spade." I'm saying there is a difference between being accurate and being "pejorative but accurate."

Comment

Soyeong, do you know what all the "accurate but pejorative" words are?

I'm not saying "Don't call a spade a spade." I'm saying there is a difference between being accurate and being "pejorative but accurate."
                  I don't think a description can be accurate and pejorative at the same time. If you're less than accurate and describe someone as worse than they actually are, then it would be pejorative.

Comment

However handi-capable you are, the whole "ostentatiously drawing attention to whatever the heck your disability is in contexts where none was needed," especially on the Internet, where that sort of thing's not actually a factor in even the most heated discussions, smells very much like trying to fish for sympathy, and should be mocked and shamed heavily wherever it appears. It's almost like it's become...what's that word...a crutch?

Really wouldn't make the comparison if I were you. An average 85 IQ is far more of a debilitating condition in the modern world than not being able to join the Saturday biking club or whatever.

Comment

"accurate but pejorative"
                      I believe the proper term is "hatefact." Those in the know around here were using it before it was cool.

Comment

As always, thanks for your input Epo.

Outis, I apologize for Epo.
                        Last edited by Soyeong; 02-14-2014, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Actually, for the most part, "political correctness" means refraining from calling me a feeb or cripple because I am physically disabled. It has nothing to do with changing words. It has to do with avoiding giving insult.
                          Meh... I learned last night that "MHMR" is changing its name because "R" is now "politically incorrect". Mental Health Mental Retardation has been around for ages, but the "Retardation" has a negative connotation, so it's being dropped. Words change. I remember when "gay" meant brightly colored or happy.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Calling me a "feeb" is not insulting?
                            Must be a regional thing? I've never even heard that expression before.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You are, most certainly, NOT feeble of mind!

During my lifetime, the "N" word was commonly used when I was a kid, and not always in a pejorative way (I know that's hard for younger folks to imagine), then it was "colored people", and THAT became politically incorrect (although the NAACP still uses it) then "black is beautiful", and...... "African-American", which I think is the dumbest, but... the key is to try not to be offensive.

Hence, dropping "R" from MHMR.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                You are, most certainly, NOT feeble of mind!
                                You haven't seen me in the mornings before I have coffee. Without my coffee, it's ... questionable. At best.

Comment