Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

OK, SHE SAID IT! - Women Bring on Sexual Assault by Their Dress / Conduct...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, SHE SAID IT! - Women Bring on Sexual Assault by Their Dress / Conduct...

Chrissie Hynde saying publicly what I've heard a lot of people say privately, for fear of castigation from the political correctness cops....

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I don't think that they "should expect" to be assaulted any more than someone who gets drunk at a bar "should expect" to be mugged.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I don't think that they "should expect" to be assaulted any more than someone who gets drunk at a bar "should expect" to be mugged.
      "should not be surprised" might be a better way of saying it?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        "should not be surprised" might be a better way of saying it?
        Try not saying it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
          Try not saying it at all.
          Ah, Captain of the Political Correctness Police on duty! She doesn't have a right to her opinion?

Comment

Ah, Captain of the Political Correctness Police on duty! She doesn't have a right to her opinion?
            Of course she does; Ms. Hynde is, however, wrong if her opinion is that women should expect to be violently assaulted for their choice of dress or that it's a woman's "fault" (quotes in the OP) for being assaulted when intoxicated.

If I leave the door to my car unlocked when I run into Wal-Mart, I shouldn't have to expect to find my seats gone when I get back, nor would it be my fault for leaving the car unlocked. It's a bad precedent to argue that criminal acts are the fault of the victim rather than the criminal.
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              Of course she does; Ms. Hynde is, however, wrong if her opinion is that women should expect to be violently assaulted for their choice of dress or that it's a woman's "fault" (quotes in the OP) for being assaulted when intoxicated.

If I leave the door to my car unlocked when I run into Wal-Mart, I shouldn't have to expect to find my seats gone when I get back, nor would it be my fault for leaving the car unlocked. It's a bad precedent to argue that criminal acts are the fault of the victim rather than the criminal.
              If you had a daughter who was leaving for college, Sam, would you take some time to instruct her on how to improve her chances of staying safe?

Comment

If you had a daughter who was leaving for college, Sam, would you take some time to instruct her on how to improve her chances of staying safe?
                Yes, absolutely, just like I'd tell her to lock her car before leaving it in the parking lot. But I would not for a minute think of telling her that she should expect her type of dress to lead to a violent assault, let alone that she would be at fault for such an assault.
                "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Sure she does... especially when it's as reprehensible as yours.

Comment

Because classy dressed women never get raped and beaten.

Comment

Because classy dressed women never get raped and beaten.
                      What an incredibly stupid statement.

Comment

Sure she does... especially when it's as reprehensible as yours.
                        I haven't agreed with her - she made an extreme statement, but it's a conversation starter.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          Yes, absolutely, just like I'd tell her to lock her car before leaving it in the parking lot.
                          Exactly.

But I would not for a minute think of telling her that she should expect her type of dress to lead to a violent assault, let alone that she would be at fault for such an assault.
                          Neither would I. As I said, she made an extreme statement, but it's a conversation starter.

I'm assuming you might think it's more likely that something will be removed from your car while unlocked, than while locked, yes? I think that's pretty clear in your instruction to tell her to lock her car.

Does it make sense that there are other precautions she could take to lessen the probability she would be sexually assaulted?

Comment

I haven't agreed with her - she made an extreme statement, but it's a conversation starter.
                            So you're just being provocative?

Comment

What an incredibly stupid statement.
                              Hey... you were asking for it.

Comment