Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will women continue to change their names upon marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will women continue to change their names upon marriage?

All sorts of traditions are disappearing. What do you think of the tradition of a woman taking their husband's name upon marriage? Will this be the next tradition to bite the dust?

There will probably be an increase while the men who give in are culled from the gene pool and it rubberbands back.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorching Wizard View Post
      All sorts of traditions are disappearing. What do you think of the tradition of a woman taking their husband's name upon marriage? Will this be the next tradition to bite the dust?
      Who cares?
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I doubt it. Some women will choose not to, but that's always been the case. Hyphenated names are a pain so I very much doubt that they will ever be a rage. Few men are inclined to change their names so that isn't likely to become common. Having separate names is a bigger pain than hyphenated names so that probably won't be popular. The incidence will climb but I doubt it will ever be normative.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I find my last name terribly boring so I will be changing it.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
          "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
          Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            There will probably be an increase while the men who give in are culled from the gene pool and it rubberbands back.
            I think it applies to the women in that regard too. A woman who insists on keeping her own name after marriage is generally a sign that they are a feminist and feminists are generally not the sort you want to marry.

On the other hand my wife uses both. She uses her own surname and she uses mine sometimes. This is only because she generally doesn't care enough either way and doesn't think it matters very much.

Comment

My sister in law kept her maiden name and she is not a feminist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                My sister in law kept her maiden name and she is not a feminist
                Was it a big issue for her though? Did she insist on keeping it or was it something that wasn't really a big deal and neither her or her husband cared?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
                  Was it a big issue for her though? Did she insist on keeping it or was it something that wasn't really a big deal and neither her or her husband cared?
                  I don't know
                  But I know she also has a separate checking acct which kinda made me suspicious but they have been married for over ten years and seem happy

Comment

What he didn't mention is that his last name is Mxyzptlk.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I know women who proudly identify as feminists and still changed their last name. I also know women who (publically, at least) don't identify as such but kept their last name.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a woman changing her last name, but I have heard of some men who have angry fits (even to the point of calling off the marriage) when their fiancees said they didn't want to change it. It's like they practically demand that she change it, and that sort of attitude is concerning.

I also think that more men should at least be open to the option of changing their last name. It's unusual, but if you would be deeply bothered by this prospect, you have no right to demand a woman to change her last name to yours.
                      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

It is a custom, not a commitment.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
                          I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a woman changing her last name, but I have heard of some men who have angry fits (even to the point of calling off the marriage) when their fiancees said they didn't want to change it. It's like they practically demand that she change it, and that sort of attitude is concerning.
                          It's a good, healthy attitude. I'd call off a marriage with a woman who wanted to keep her last name. She can belong to her father or she can belong to me.

I also think that more men should at least be open to the option of changing their last name.
                          No they shouldn't.

It's unusual, but if you would be deeply bothered by this prospect, you have no right to demand a woman to change her last name to yours.
                          Yes you do, because it's the natural and good order of things. Men and women are not equal, they are different. What is good for one is not necessarily good for the other, and the same rules need not apply to both.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment