Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gay Scout Masters - Scouts No Longer Have to Be Morally Straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    For what it's worth, from a study by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice:

The study listed the main characteristics of the sex abuse incidents reported. These included:
    -- An overwhelming majority of the victims, 81 percent, were males. The most vulnerable were boys aged 11 to 14, representing more than 40 percent of the victims. This goes against the trend in the general U.S. society where the main problem is men abusing girls.
    -- A majority of the victims were post-pubescent adolescents with a small percentage of the priests accused of abusing children who had not reached puberty.
    -- Most of the accused committed a variety of sex acts involving serious sexual offenses.
    -- The most frequent context for abuse was a social event and many priests socialized with the families of victims.
    -- Abuses occurred in a variety of places with the most common being the residence of the priest.
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/05/18...html?referrer=

*ahem*

Since the scandal broke, conservatives in the church have blamed gay priests for perpetrating the abuse, while liberals have argued that the all-male, celibate culture of the priesthood was the cause. This report will satisfy neither flank.

The report notes that homosexual men began entering the seminaries “in noticeable numbers” from the late 1970s through the 1980s. By the time this cohort entered the priesthood, in the mid-1980s, the reports of sexual abuse of minors by priests began to drop and then to level off. If anything, the report says, the abuse decreased as more gay priests began serving the church.

Many more boys than girls were victimized, the report says, not because the perpetrators were gay, but simply because the priests had more access to boys than to girls, in parishes, schools and extracurricular activities.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      I'm not sure what your point is. I think we are all immoral, of sinners I am chief. That however does not mean that we as a society should embrace immoral behavior or protect in under law.
      What do you mean by "of whom I am chief"?

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
        So yeah, the argument against the rule change basically boils down to declaring that gay people are somehow incapable of being good people, or presuming that gay people are likelier to molest young boys...even though evidence indicates that the vast majority of pedophiles self-identify as predominantly or even exclusively heterosexual.
        No, it is just that they are bad role models since homosexual behavior is inherently immoral. They are not morally straight.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
          What do you mean by "of whom I am chief"?
          It is a reference to Paul the Apostle, who claimed he was chief of sinners.

1 Timothy 1:15(KJV) This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            No, it is just that they are bad role models since homosexual behavior is inherently immoral. They are not morally straight.
            As long as they don't engage in same-sex behavior with their scouts, what's the problem?
            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

It is a reference to Paul the Apostle, who claimed he was chief of sinners.

1 Timothy 1:15(KJV) This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
              I'd argue that verse doesn't need that last clause.

Seer, don't refer to yourself as the chief of sinners if you don't believe it. If you believe it, take the beam out of your eye before going off on gays.

Comment

I'd argue that verse doesn't need that last clause.
                Paul was making it clear, yet again, that he "had not arrived" - that he was a sinner who needed saved. I suspect he had in mind, at least in part, his persecution of the Christian Church.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Paul was making it clear, yet again, that he "had not arrived" - that he was a sinner who needed saved. I suspect he had in mind, at least in part, his persecution of the Christian Church.
                  Okay. It reeks of false humility to borrow that phrase today.

Comment

Okay. It reeks of false humility to borrow that phrase today.
                    Pretty much, yeah.

Comment