Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Jefferson-Jackson Dinners (Expunging History)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jefferson-Jackson Dinners (Expunging History)

    It is amazing, even Martin Luther King Jr often quoted Jefferson and the Declaration for moral authority concerning equal rights. If a man has to be morally perfect to be revered than who, apart from Jesus Christ, can we ever look up to or hold in high regard? I mean it is said that even Harry Truman briefly belonged to the KKK. Where will this end?

    By David Lightman
    McClatchy Washingon Bureau

    WASHINGTON — Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson are out. Too much racial baggage.

    Harry S. Truman is in. So are others to be named later.

    The latest wave of discarding symbols of America’s unpleasant racial history has hit the Jefferson-Jackson dinner circuit. State Democratic parties for years have routinely used such events named for the party icons to raise big money and attract big names. They’re often been known as Jefferson-Jackson dinners in honor of the former presidents.

    A month ago, Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton keynoted Virginia’s Jefferson-Jackson dinner. The state party boasted afterward that the dinner “smashed records for the most successful Jefferson-Jackson event in history.”

    There will be no Jefferson-Jackson events in Connecticut, Georgia, Missouri or Florida, as parties move to shed close identification with Jefferson, one of the nation’s Founding Fathers and author of the Declaration of Independence, and Jackson. “Jacksonian democracy” has long been regarded as empowering ordinary citizens.

    Some of the changes have been in the works for some time. Florida Democrats began calling their gala “Leadership Blue” last year. Missouri Democrats’ state committee unanimously decided to change the name to the Harry S. Truman dinner this year.

    Georgia Democrats have dropped the Jefferson-Jackson moniker, though no name has yet been chosen, and this week Connecticut Democrats stripped their dinner of the two presidents’ names.

    Jefferson and Jackson were slave owners. Jackson presided over the Trail of Tears, which forcibly removed Native American nations from their ancestral homes in the Southeast.

    http://amestrib.com/news/dems-jeffer....N8Vwnc9a.dpuf
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

  • #2
    I don't know of any historical figure that the ideological Left hasn't found a way to deconstruct and discredit. When you read history only through the lens of power dynamics, then everyone becomes inescapably power-hungry, and everything they do becomes a way for them to perpetuate their power. It's one thing to try to humanize historical figures, but this is something rather different. It is a rather depressing worldview, to say the least.

    That said, I think Andrew Jackson isn't the sort of figure who deserves to be remembered fondly. Although he had a role in building the democratic party almost 200 years ago, I don't think the modern Dems and Jackson have much in common anymore.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      I don't know of any historical figure that the ideological Left hasn't found a way to deconstruct and discredit. When you read history only through the lens of power dynamics, then everyone becomes inescapably power-hungry, and everything they do becomes a way for them to perpetuate their power. It's one thing to try to humanize historical figures, but this is something rather different. It is a rather depressing worldview, to say the least.

      That said, I think Andrew Jackson isn't the sort of figure who deserves to be remembered fondly. Although he had a role in building the democratic party almost 200 years ago, I don't think the modern Dems and Jackson have much in common anymore.
      Yes Jackson was an idiot - but a historical idiot. Our idiot. I just really don't like what is going on.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

      Comment


      • #4
        Why do you care, at all, what state democratic organizations name their fundraising dinners?

        My local group changed it from the JJ Dinner to the Imagine Dinner. The dropping of Jefferson from the name was more incidental since it was Jackson most people wanted off, but then the symmetry and there was this whole... thing... with people wanting to propose new names and a bunch of positively ancient people then wanted to vote on them and ugh.

        This is a complete non-issue

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
          Why do you care, at all, what state democratic organizations name their fundraising dinners?

          My local group changed it from the JJ Dinner to the Imagine Dinner. The dropping of Jefferson from the name was more incidental since it was Jackson most people wanted off, but then the symmetry and there was this whole... thing... with people wanting to propose new names and a bunch of positively ancient people then wanted to vote on them and ugh.

          This is a complete non-issue
          No, it is about political correctness and thought control.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by seer View Post
            No, it is about political correctness and thought control.
            Have fun demonstrating that to someone whose been physically present at these meeting.

            Which are, you know, relating to a political party you don't belong to

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
              Have fun demonstrating that to someone whose been physically present at these meeting.

              Which are, you know, relating to a political party you don't belong to
              Well actually I was a Dem for most of my adult life. My whole family was Democratic, strongly so. So much so that I did not become a Republican until after my parents died - I didn't want to break their hearts. It doesn't change the fact that this is political correctness.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by seer View Post
                Well actually I was a Dem for most of my adult life. My whole family was Democratic, strongly so. So much so that I did not become a Republican until after my parents died - I didn't want to break their hearts. It doesn't change the fact that this is political correctness.
                So?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                  So?
                  So why did you even make your last comment?
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You said thought control, which is stupid.

                    I don't care if it's PC. People in politics position themselves in new ways all the time. It's a non event

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                      You said thought control, which is stupid.

                      I don't care if it's PC. People in politics position themselves in new ways all the time. It's a non event
                      Political correctness is all about controlling language and by extension thoughts or ideas.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by seer View Post
                        Political correctness is all about controlling language and by extension thoughts or ideas.
                        It's about how we choose to express ourselves.

                        Your very complaint is a desire to maintain the language of the past, which is also, using your logic, controlling thoughts or ideas.

                        Either way, the example you've chosen is supremely unimportant. JJ Dinners, or whatever the individual groups are calling them now, are an excuse for local dems to come to a big party at a local hotel, bid on a bunch of stuff, donate money to the local party, and get really drunk. That they are changing their names, largely because of how much a tool Andrew Jackson was, is supremely unimportant

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                          It's about how we choose to express ourselves.

                          Your very complaint is a desire to maintain the language of the past, which is also, using your logic, controlling thoughts or ideas.

                          Either way, the example you've chosen is supremely unimportant. JJ Dinners, or whatever the individual groups are calling them now, are an excuse for local dems to come to a big party at a local hotel, bid on a bunch of stuff, donate money to the local party, and get really drunk. That they are changing their names, largely because of how much a tool Andrew Jackson was, is supremely unimportant
                          No way, changing the name of an annual party is historical revisionism!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I don't see anything necessarily dystopian or revisionist about renaming the dinners, seer. They're disowning a part of their history, not denying it.
                            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                              No way, changing the name of an annual party is historical revisionism!
                              After how much wine I drank for free as a volunteer at the Clark county Washington one last year I'm pretty sure I just forgot the name

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Ronson, Yesterday, 08:53 PM
                              1 response
                              16 views
                              2 likes
                              Last Post seanD
                              by seanD
                               
                              Started by seer, Yesterday, 08:38 AM
                              10 responses
                              62 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Psychic Missile  
                              Started by Sparko, Yesterday, 08:06 AM
                              22 responses
                              111 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Started by shunyadragon, 10-01-2022, 11:41 PM
                              51 responses
                              262 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post seanD
                              by seanD
                               
                              Started by Gondwanaland, 10-01-2022, 05:02 PM
                              1 response
                              34 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seer
                              by seer
                               
                              Working...
                              X