Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Faroe Islanders massacre hundreds of whales

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Faroe Islanders massacre hundreds of whales

    The seas turned red with blood this week in the Faroe Islands, with hundreds of whales slaughtered in their annual whale massacre.

    Disgusting.

    I've crossed the Faroe Islands off my mental list of places to ever visit.

  • #2
    Aside from health effects of eating blubber from these animals, as they tend to accumulate mercury, and some concerns about animal suffering I don't see the evil in this practice.

    I've got relatives who live on that island. Its an old tradition going back as far as we have written history in that part of the world.

    Everyone can participate, but not everyone is allowed to kill the animals, only people with special training. They use a particular tool to quickly cut the spinal cord, and instantly kill the whale. The whales themselves aren't a protected species, and this annual hunt has no detrimental effect on their population.
    Last edited by Leonhard; 07-26-2015, 05:50 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      The seas turned red with blood this week in the Faroe Islands, with hundreds of whales slaughtered in their annual whale massacre.

      Disgusting.

      I've crossed the Faroe Islands off my mental list of places to ever visit.
      Killing whales arises your moral revulsion... Do you feel that strongly about selling unborn human body parts for profit?
      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
        Killing whales arises your moral revulsion... Do you feel that strongly about selling unborn human body parts for profit?
        No he doesn't, I think he's following the logic of Peter Singer here. The human fetus is a lump of cells without preferences, where as whales are, therefore qua a utilitarian perspective that seeks to maximize the number of creatures capable of enjoying their preferences, the whales here matter more than those fetuses.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          and some concerns about animal suffering I don't see the evil in this practice.
          Whales are particularly intelligent and social animals. Seeing them slaughtered en masse like this is sickening.

          Furthermore there has been a worldwide ban on whaling since 1986 due to concerns about declining whale numbers. (Yes, technically this doesn't breach that ban, because it's not 'commercial' whaling... but it still isn't helping worldwide whale numbers!)

          Its an old tradition going back as far as we have written history in that part of the world.
          Warfare, murder and slavery go back thousands of years. It doesn't make them good traditions. This is a horrible tradition, not one to be celebrated.


          Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
          Killing whales arises your moral revulsion... Do you feel that strongly about selling unborn human body parts for profit?
          Whales are conscious living beings that can suffer. Human body parts are not conscious and can't suffer. There's no moral equivalency whatsoever... the first is morally relevant, the second has no moral relevance at all. Trafficking in human body parts is not morally any different to trafficking in rum.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thinks it's ok to kill babies up to 3 months old.

            Is revulsed over whales being killed.

            ~Formerly known as Chrawnus~

            Comment


            • #7
              Don't buy in to the propaganda from the eco terrorists. Get informed: www.whaling.fo

              http://www.whaling.fo/en/qa/

              Edit:

              "Using an array of weapons, including sharp knives and harpoons, the locals begin to hack at the animals, slicing at their fatty necks and puncturing their sides."

              This is a bold faced lie. No harpoons are ever used. In fact a Faroese vetrinarian invented a weapon that kills the whales in about 2 seconds instead of the 2 minutes it used to take.
              Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 07-26-2015, 07:54 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                Trafficking in human body parts is not morally any different to trafficking in rum.
                There are no words.
                "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                -Unknown

                "Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis


                I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                I support the :
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                  Whales are conscious living beings that can suffer. Human body parts are not conscious and can't suffer. There's no moral equivalency whatsoever... the first is morally relevant, the second has no moral relevance at all. Trafficking in human body parts is not morally any different to trafficking in rum.


                  Human body parts don't grow on trees, you know.
                  ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                    There are no words.
                    From someone who rejects Christianity because of it's moral failings.

                    I can't even......
                    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                      The seas turned red with blood this week in the Faroe Islands, with hundreds of whales slaughtered in their annual whale massacre.

                      Disgusting.

                      I've crossed the Faroe Islands off my mental list of places to ever visit.
                      I've always found it interesting that pro abortionist (and in Dimbulb's case, pro infanticide people) don't have a problem with violently killing an unborn baby and sucking out it's remains with a vacuum tube, but get all squeamish with people killing animals for food. You know what is truly disgusting, that you view the lives of infants and the unborn as disposable while viewing the lives of animals as being more valuable. More proof that your moral compass points south.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                        From someone who rejects Christianity because of it's moral failings.

                        I can't even......
                        Can we say... psychopath?
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                          I've always found it interesting that pro abortionist (and in Dimbulb's case, pro infanticide people) don't have a problem with violently killing an unborn baby and sucking out it's remains with a vacuum tube, but get all squeamish with people killing animals for food. You know what is truly disgusting, that you view the lives of infants and the unborn as disposable while viewing the lives of animals as being more valuable. More proof that your moral compass points south.
                          Yeah, let’s not get too sentimental. Life is cheap – really; except one’s own, and your family’s and some of your pals, and your pet’s, …. Oh, and your bus driver; let’s not forget him either, your doctor, anyone you’re on the phone to or is about to give you money, etc, etc. The rest can go to hell.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            Yeah, let’s not get too sentimental. Life is cheap – really; except one’s own, and your family’s and some of your pals, and your pet’s, …. Oh, and your bus driver; let’s not forget him either, your doctor, anyone you’re on the phone to or is about to give you money, etc, etc. The rest can go to hell.
                            Well, this comment is nonsensical.
                            "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                            -Unknown

                            "Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis


                            I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            I support the :
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                              Well, this comment is nonsensical.
                              well ff is just a troll trying to get a reaction. Just ignore him.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Whateverman, Yesterday, 07:17 PM
                              23 responses
                              83 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                              Started by Whateverman, Yesterday, 04:39 PM
                              1 response
                              25 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Maranatha  
                              Started by Hypatia_Alexandria, Yesterday, 03:30 PM
                              46 responses
                              182 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Mountain Man  
                              Started by Whateverman, 10-20-2020, 08:11 PM
                              4 responses
                              43 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Bill the Cat  
                              Started by shunyadragon, 10-20-2020, 07:16 PM
                              28 responses
                              126 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Sparko
                              by Sparko
                               
                              Working...
                              X