Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lesbian Wedding Cake Denialism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    I don't get you at all - seriously, it contradicts what you said in your OP.
    No it doesn't contradict what I said in OP. Obviously I'm saying that Leviticus fans should quote Leviticus on the storefront as a matter of principle. It's nothing to be ashamed of. If you don't do that, how are same sex couples and heterosexuals to know your stance? It'd actually get the message across much better than saying "We don't bake cakes for gay weddings." Everyone would get the message.

Ornate lavendar crucifixes don't say it (surprisingly!).

Comment

In case you're missing Whag's "irony" he suggested Christians should post Leviticus on the storefront so there's no question where they stand. He assumes that most people will be so disgusted that they will refuse to patronize said business and it will fail...unless I too am missing the point of his OP.
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        In case you're missing Whag's "irony" he suggested Christians should post Leviticus on the storefront so there's no question where they stand. He assumes that most people will be so disgusted that they will refuse to patronize said business and it will fail...unless I too am missing the point of his OP.
        That's a stretch of the term "irony." In what way is it ironic, Alanis?

I wasn't suggesting most people would find that disgusting. I think it's rather clever to proclaim your stance without actually saying you won't bake cakes for gay weddings. If you choose to do it on a case-by-case basis, expecting lavendar crosses to convey what you believe, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
          I wasn't suggesting most people would find that disgusting. I think it's rather clever to proclaim your stance without actually saying you won't bake cakes for gay weddings. If you choose to do it on a case-by-case basis, expecting lavendar crosses to convey what you believe, you're doing it wrong.
          I still believe that the couple knew that they would be rejected which is why they chose that baker - publicity and money . . .
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

No it doesn't contradict what I said in OP. Obviously I'm saying that Leviticus fans should quote Leviticus on the storefront as a matter of principle. It's nothing to be ashamed of. If you don't do that, how are same sex couples and heterosexuals to know your stance? It'd actually get the message across much better than saying "We don't bake cakes for gay weddings." Everyone would get the message.

Ornate lavendar crucifixes don't say it (surprisingly!).
            Sure. Post any scripture, especially those that speak against homosexuality, and you will get sued for doing it. But whag says it is ok to do that, so there you go.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              I still believe that the couple knew that they would be rejected which is why they chose that baker - publicity and money . . .
              That's what I believed, too, untiI read their side. One of the women and her mom were friendly with the baker. From their interview:

Laurel: Rachel and her mother went to a bridal expo and had run into Melissa.

Rachel: When we saw her at the bridal expo, I already knew that I was going to go to her for our cake. So I just walked up to her: “Hey, do you remember? You made my mother’s wedding cake. I know we talked about how we would never get married, but Laurel and I finally decided that we’re going to get married, and we don’t want anybody else to make our cake except you.” Melissa didn’t seem put off by it at all.

Laurel: They came home just so happy. I’ve never seen Rachel and her mom that exuberant.

Rachel and Laurel made an appointment to meet with Melissa Klein for a tasting at Sweet Cakes by Melissa on Jan. 17, 2013. (Klein says she saw Rachel and her mother at the bridal show but did not remember them.) Laurel couldn’t go to the cake-tasting appointment, so Rachel and her mother went.

Rachel: We get there and see Mr. Klein behind the counter. We had never met him before and never had any interaction with him. We were a little put off that it was him and not her, just because we had such a rapport with Melissa.
              In other words, they never met the creepy husband and had no idea the denial was coming. The girly crucifixes in the store in no way indicated the denial was coming. I would've just assumed the lady listened to Joel Osteen.

They're actually decent human beings:

A close friend of Laurel’s died in 2011, leaving two small children, both of whom have special needs. That fall, Rachel and Laurel became the children’s foster parents and soon decided to adopt them. The decision prompted Rachel in 2012 to reconsider her view on marriage.

Rachel: I never wanted to have children, but when the children were placed with us, we had the option to help these kids that I already loved so much. And they needed us so much, and they’d been through so much, I felt like they needed the stability of knowing that we were committed both to each other and to them.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                Sure. Post any scripture, especially those that speak against homosexuality, and you will get sued for doing it. But whag says it is ok to do that, so there you go.
                Um, I've frequented many an establishment in good ol' Southern California in which the owner didn't fear the legal ramifications of scripture quoting, nor any potential loss of business. I've also been to the midwestern and southern US, which are filled with businesses that advertise the owners' Christian faith.

Comment

Um, I've frequented many an establishment in good ol' Southern California in which the owner didn't fear the legal ramifications of scripture quoting, nor any potential loss of business. I've also been to the midwestern and southern US, which are filled with businesses that advertise the owners' Christian faith.
                  Yeah, unless you are a homosexual, you are probably ok with it. But put Romans 1 or the passage from Leviticus up and watch out.

Good grief. Retailers aren't even allowed to say merry Christmas to customers anymore for fear of offending somebody! I can't even begin to imagine the horror of a Bible verse against homosexuality being plastered on some store's front door!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yeah, unless you are a homosexual, you are probably ok with it. But put Romans 1 or the passage from Leviticus up and watch out.
                    No, as a heterosexual, I would NOT be okay with it. Unless your services were amazing, I'l probably not frequent your establishment after seeing that (that's some persecution!). There is no rash of businesses being sued who quote the Bible on premises. Your implication was that it practically guarantees your being sued. You actually have much freedom to express your Christianity.

Good grief. Retailers aren't even allowed to say merry Christmas to customers anymore for fear of offending somebody!
                    Paranoid FOX News nonsense. Cases in which business owners are sued for saying Merry Christmas are so rare.

I can't even begin to imagine the horror of a Bible verse against homosexuality being plastered on some store's front door!
                    Your average (non wedding-related) business would be weird to post Leviticus for no reason. But .....even assuming the liquor store/vacuum shop owner just decides to be that offensive, the chances of her being sued are slim. The resulting court case would be a slam dunk for the defendant whose speech is protected.

Society doesn't act the way you say it acts. It's like we're living in two different worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by whag
                      But .....even assuming the liquor store/vacuum shop owner just decides to be that offensive,
                      Bingo.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        Normal people don't usually feel the need to advertise that they are normal. It's only because of the widespread support for degeneracy that this is even an issue in the first place. Your explanation makes little sense in light of the fact that they are trying to get publicity on the issue (and added it to their web site before they were ordered to take it down).

Plus, it doesn't take a genius to figure out their stance on the issue:

And lol @ humiliating. Just how fragile is your ego exactly?
                        Nothing in this picture indicates a Christianity of the sort that would deny making a cake for a lesbian wedding. She could be a Joel Osteen fan for all we know.

Comment

Bingo.
                          Bingo, hardly. That I think it's weird you quote Leviticus in your vacuum shop certain doesn't indicate I or my gay sister will sue that establishment. Only your most delusional friends here believe that's the kind of persecution you're under.

Do yourself a favor and don't exaggerate.

Comment

Bingo, hardly. That I think it's weird you quote Leviticus in your vacuum shop certain doesn't indicate I or my gay sister will sue that establishment. Only your most delusional friends here believe that's the kind of persecution you're under.

Do yourself a favor and don't exaggerate.
                            Yes, it's all in her head.

GAY MAN FILES $70M SUIT AGAINST BIBLE PUBLISHERS OVER ‘HOMOSEXUAL’ VERSES

Local 6th grader not allowed to use Bible verse in school project

lawsuit over cheerleaders bearing bible verses in kountze texas

Chesapeake fired man over Bible on desk

Veteran discharged over Bible verse

Atheists see red over pizza place's 10% discount for customers who bring a church bulletin
                            Last edited by Adrift; 07-25-2015, 12:30 PM.

Comment

No, rather she was incorrect to imply that it's an activity you'll likely get sued for. No one said that sensitive atheists and theists don't exist and don't sometimes sue for stupid things. Her clear implication was that Christians don't display bible quotes in their businesses because it's risky. It's not risky. Many Christian businesses do it (and I still frequent them, BTW, unless it was a creepy quote like Leviticus or something about blood splattering), and the ones that are afraid to quote scriptures are either paranoid or don't have the courage of their convictions (or both).

Comment

No, rather she was incorrect to imply that it's an activity you'll likely get sued for. No one said that sensitive atheists and theists don't exist and don't sometimes sue for stupid things. Her clear implication was that Christians don't display bible quotes in their businesses because it's risky. It's not risky. Many Christian businesses do it (and I still frequent them, BTW, unless it was a creepy quote like Leviticus or something about blood splattering), and the ones that are afraid to quote scriptures are either paranoid or don't have the courage of their convictions (or both).
                                Baloney. These people had crosses in their place and still got into trouble for sticking to their convictions. And if it's true that the people who wanted a cake already knew that the owners of the shop were believers, why the heck did they go there? They thought they would be excepted because they knew the owners? A Bible verse of a cross or some other symbol is like a magnet for those who are desperate to have their lifestyle accepted and condoned.

Comment