Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lesbian Wedding Cake Denialism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Baloney. These people had crosses in their place and still got into trouble for sticking to their convictions.
    They could very well have been liberal Christians. Even Ozzy Osbourne has decorative crucifixes.
    And if it's true that the people who wanted a cake already knew that the owners of the shop were believers, why the heck did they go there?
    I can’t take you seriously. You obviously didn’t read the interview with them:
    http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl...weet_cake.html
    They thought they would be excepted because they knew the owners? A Bible verse of a cross or some other symbol is like a magnet for those who are desperate to have their lifestyle accepted and condoned.
    Um, no. Read the interview. It’s because they loved the taste of her cake. They had no idea the husband was a fundamentalist. For all they knew, she was into Joel Osteen.

Comment

And you apparently don't read your own posts.

Originally posted by whag
      That's what I believed, too, untiI read their side. One of the women and her mom were friendly with the baker. From their interview:

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

And you apparently don't read your own posts.
        That doesn't contradict anything I said.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
          For all they knew, she was into Joel Osteen.
          You keep bringing that guy up. Is he pro-gay marriage or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            You keep bringing that guy up. Is he pro-gay marriage or something?
            His audience tends to be friendlier and more liberal, as opposed to John MacArthur's adherents. He doesn't think it's biblical, but doesn't pontificate about how it's a sign of moral decline like more conservative pastors.

http://www.christiantoday.com/articl...iage/57903.htm

Comment

His audience tends to be friendlier and more liberal, as opposed to John MacArthur's adherents. He doesn't think it's biblical, but doesn't pontificate about how it's a sign of moral decline like more conservative pastors.

So he does think that gay marriage is sinful, but doesn't like to concentrate his ministry on the subject, and because he doesn't focus on that subject, you imagine that people who watch his tv show are okay with gay marriage? I guess I don't really see how you're connecting those dots.

Honestly, I don't know much about Joel Osteen or this MacArthur guy you just now referenced, so I suppose that explains why I'm missing it.

Comment

Osteen is wrong. He also thinks that everybody will be saved. Friendly and liberal does not right make. It only means he is compromising his faith, and I use that term loosely with him and others like him, in order to be popular and make lots of money.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Osteen is wrong. He also thinks that everybody will be saved. Friendly and liberal does not right make. It only means he is compromising his faith, and I use that term loosely with him and others like him, in order to be popular and make lots of money.
                  He's a Universalist?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    He's a Universalist?
                    Apparently.

https://antagoniz.wordpress.com/2013...-universalist/

Comment

And universalists sometimes decorate with girly crosses.

Comment

And universalists sometimes decorate with girly crosses.
                        Probably so do some homosexuals. Doesn't mean a thing.

Comment

Probably so do some homosexuals. Doesn't mean a thing.
                          PRECISELY why the lesbian couple shouldn't have surmised the bakery was against making cakes for same sex weddings.

Comment

PRECISELY why the lesbian couple shouldn't have surmised the bakery was against making cakes for same sex weddings.
                            Then, when they found out, WHY didn't they go find somebody who would have no problems making it for them?

And by the way, I am offended by your use of the word "girly". How sexist of you!

Comment

Then, when they found out, WHY didn't they go find somebody who would have no problems making it for them?
                              I think they did, since they eventually got married and probably had cake at the wedding. If your actual question is why did one of them complain, the answer is in the interview you still haven't read.

And by the way, I am offended by your use of the word "girly". How sexist of you!
                              Sorry, I meant feminine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                                I still believe that the couple knew that they would be rejected which is why they chose that baker - publicity and money . . .
                                Even if they did, which is a rather unlikely paranoid assumption, all the cake shop had to do was comply with the Civil Rights Act which outlaws all discrimination based on race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation or national origin in hotels, motels, restaurants, theatres and all other public accommodations. Nobody’s above the law, not even Christians despite their high sense of personal entitlements.
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment