Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Have We Really Come To This?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Have We Really Come To This?

    O'Malley apologizes for saying 'all lives matter' at liberal conference

    Phoenix (CNN)Democratic presidential candidate Martin O'Malley apologized on Saturday for saying "All lives matter" while discussing police violence against African-Americans with liberal demonstrators.

    Several dozen demonstrators interrupted the former Maryland governor while he was speaking here at the Netroots Nation conference, a gathering of liberal activists, demanding that he address criminal justice and police brutality. When they shouted, "Black lives matter!" a rallying cry of protests that broke out after several black Americans were killed at the hands of police in recent months, O'Malley responded: "Black lives matter. White lives matter. All lives matter."
    Invoking the familiar names of blacks who died at the hands of police, including Eric Garner, Michael Brown and Tamir Rice, thousands have taken part in protests across the country calling for a more aggressive federal response to recent slayings by police.

    The demonstrators, who were mostly black, responded by booing him and shouting him down.
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/18/politi...ter/index.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

  • #2
    I'm digging the vague thread title as per usual.

    I'm also unsurprised you don't seem to get the nuances involved in this story. The democratic candidates are trying to navigate a middle-ground through the minefield that the issue of race in the US has become, by trying to convince the black community that they will indeed to something to put an end to systemic racial injustice, while at the same time trying not to panic the white community too much that they lose the general election.

    Comment


    • #3
      Dude, stop with the click-bait thread titles and please write them so they indicate the content of the thread.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by seer View Post
        O'Malley apologizes for saying 'all lives matter' at liberal conference



        http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/18/politi...ter/index.html
        I was quite surprised that he got booed for saying "all lives matter" but then again remember how the mention of God got booed at the Democratic National Convention in 2012 and the chanting of "Hail Satan" by pro-abortion advocates in Houston in 2013.

        I'm always still in trouble again

        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          Dude, stop with the click-bait thread titles and please write them so they indicate the content of the thread.
          All you have to do is put your cursor over the title of the thread and you get the first line of the post, so you get an idea what it is about.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I was quite surprised that he got booed for saying "all lives matter" but then again remember how the mention of God got booed at the Democratic National Convention in 2012 and the chanting of "Hail Satan" by pro-abortion advocates in Houston in 2013.
            yes, I remember
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I was quite surprised that he got booed for saying "all lives matter" but then again remember how the mention of God got booed at the Democratic National Convention in 2012 and the chanting of "Hail Satan" by pro-abortion advocates in Houston in 2013.

              Wow, so lemme get this straight... Democrats are anti-God satan-worshipers who don't believe that all lives matter. And your evidence for this is three completely unconnected and unusual events which you've taken out of context and linked together.


              You should start your own version of Glenn Beck's show.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                I'm digging the vague thread title as per usual.

                I'm also unsurprised you don't seem to get the nuances involved in this story. The democratic candidates are trying to navigate a middle-ground through the minefield that the issue of race in the US has become, by trying to convince the black community that they will indeed to something to put an end to systemic racial injustice, while at the same time trying not to panic the white community too much that they lose the general election.
                Apologist noted. Do all lives matter or not? Is it EVER appropriate to boo someone for declaring that all lives matter? No it is not.
                That's what
                - She

                Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                Stephen R. Donaldson

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Starlight View Post

                  Wow, so lemme get this straight... Democrats are anti-God satan-worshipers who don't believe that all lives matter. And your evidence for this is three completely unconnected and unusual events which you've taken out of context and linked together.


                  You should start your own version of Glenn Beck's show.
                  Thank you for constructing a pitiful straw man for you to battle. It was quite amusing watching you attack it and then prance about with your chest puffed out squeaking out your victory cry.

                  I'm always still in trouble again

                  "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Starlight View Post

                    Wow, so lemme get this straight... Democrats are anti-God satan-worshipers who don't believe that all lives matter. And your evidence for this is three completely unconnected and unusual events which you've taken out of context and linked together.


                    You should start your own version of Glenn Beck's show.
                    That's what
                    - She

                    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    Stephen R. Donaldson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      Apologist noted. Do all lives matter or not? Is it EVER appropriate to boo someone for declaring that all lives matter? No it is not.
                      "All lives matter" is a derived motto of "Black lives matter" which seeks to annul the meaning if the latter, that black Americans are at significantly higher risk of systematic violence by police, with a nice-sounding phrase that destroys the context.

                      So, yeah. Boo.
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think Martin O'Malley is actually a Republican. If you open your official Republican Party Manual, 2015 Edition to Section 7 ("Racist Dog Whistles, Decoded"), you'll that see the phrase "all lives matter" is right there on the very first page (entry #9, right before "Chicago").

                        It translates to "white lives are the only lives that matter, also I can't find my hood and robe and I have a klan meeting in like twenty minutes, can somebody lend me theirs? I'll make sure it's as clean and pure as the superior White Race before I return it, I swear."
                        Last edited by CMD; 07-22-2015, 07:44 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          That O'Malley, as governor of Maryland, had some role in feeding the situation in Baltimore may have some role in the vehemence of the protests (I remember hearing about something specific he'd done, policy-wise, but can't recall off-hand what it was). Basically, O'Malley needs to do even more than most to prove his bona fides on race issues, since it's evident to many in the black community that he really didn't understand or care for them while he was in office.
                          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sam View Post
                            "All lives matter" is a derived motto of "Black lives matter" which seeks to annul the meaning if the latter, that black Americans are at significantly higher risk of systematic violence by police, with a nice-sounding phrase that destroys the context.
                            gif-yeah-right-gif.gif
                            That's what
                            - She

                            Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                            I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            Stephen R. Donaldson

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              "All lives matter" is a derived motto of "Black lives matter" which seeks to annul the meaning if the latter, that black Americans are at significantly higher risk of systematic violence by police, with a nice-sounding phrase that destroys the context.

                              So, yeah. Boo.
                              Yes, and blacks are at significantly higher risk of systematic violence by other blacks than by any other group.
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Gondwanaland, Yesterday, 01:42 PM
                              28 responses
                              128 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Sherman
                              by Sherman
                               
                              Started by Ronson, Yesterday, 11:16 AM
                              3 responses
                              39 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by Juvenal, Yesterday, 04:13 AM
                              14 responses
                              56 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Terraceth  
                              Started by shunyadragon, 11-24-2020, 06:20 PM
                              22 responses
                              130 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by shunyadragon, 11-24-2020, 06:10 PM
                              5 responses
                              46 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Working...
                              X