Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I think adultery should be illegal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think adultery should be illegal

I doubt such a law could be brought back in the US today (Lawrence v. Texas), but practicality aside, I think adultery should be illegal. I think the harms it does to families are enough. What do you all think?

(I'm not inclined to make exceptions for voluntary adultery, i.e. swingers, but I suppose that could be debated. But I think if you don't want to be faithful you shouldn't get married.)
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

No issue with me. Although I think adding no fault divorce to the list might be a good idea.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Since I've never done a "civil union", I wonder if they actually promises "til death do us part" or whatever.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I doubt such a law could be brought back in the US today (Lawrence v. Texas), but practicality aside, I think adultery should be illegal. I think the harms it does to families are enough. What do you all think?

(I'm not inclined to make exceptions for voluntary adultery, i.e. swingers, but I suppose that could be debated. But I think if you don't want to be faithful you shouldn't get married.)
        No. We aren't a theocracy that demand others not of the same ilk to follow. We may lead by example, but I don't think a witch hunt for cheaters is going to bring anyone to Christ/
        "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
        -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        I support the :
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
          No. We aren't a theocracy that demand others not of the same ilk to follow. We may lead by example, but I don't think a witch hunt for cheaters is going to bring anyone to Christ/
          But adultery actually harms people. Surely we aren't going to oppose laws against theft or assault as "theocratic", are we?
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            No issue with me. Although I think adding no fault divorce to the list might be a good idea.
            I disagree with that, but don't want to derail. In a nutshell, I don't want to drag abused women through the legal process of proving it.

Comment

But adultery actually harms people. Surely we aren't going to oppose laws against theft or assault as "theocratic", are we?
              Emotionally, yes it does, but physically, it does not. Would you criminalize homosexuality as well? Theft and Assault do both to a individual.
              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
              -Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              I support the :
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                Why?
                -Unknown

I support the :
                sigpic

Comment

Emotionally, yes it does, but physically, it does not. Would you criminalize homosexuality as well? Theft and Assault do both to a individual.
                  It seems arbitrary to exclude emotional harms, especially with everything we know about what ripping apart families does to kids.

I have no interest in criminalizing homosexuality.

Comment

Theft doesn't physically harm people.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I disagree with that, but don't want to derail. In a nutshell, I don't want to drag abused women through the legal process of proving it.
                      I've read a lot on the topic and there is simply no evidence that no fault divorce helps women get away from abusers. More often the case is just like with adultery; it destroys families vs attempting to work your problems out. In many ways, it is as bad as adultery and rarely does anything for abusers.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Are you fine with unilateral shredding of contracts without having to prove wrongdoing in other areas?
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

It seems arbitrary to exclude emotional harms, especially with everything we know about what ripping apart families does to kids.

I have no interest in criminalizing homosexuality.
                          I agree with you that adultery is a terrible, terrible thing, but you're essentially using state power to create a state where there is a excess of power. If you grant things like this, then it's a slippery slope.
                          -Unknown

I support the :
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            Theft doesn't physically harm people.
                            Erm, what, you've never been held at knifepoint and told not to move?
                            -Unknown

I support the :
                            sigpic

Comment

*doesn't want a theocracy*
                              *thinks the purpose of the legal system is to bring people to Christ*

Comment