Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

New Undercover Video of Planned Parenthood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And there ya go!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
      I've been hearing claims that the video was edited, but IIRC the entire video is out, and she does say the exact same phrase if I'm not mistaken.
      No ones contesting the words used, just that its obviously a joke. Even the The Blaze, Glenn Beck's personal "news" site titled their coverage as follows

Source: theblaze

The Joke a Planned Parenthood Doctor Made in New Undercover Video After Group Claims She ‘Haggled’ Over the Price of Aborted Fetuses

© Copyright Original Source

The point of the editing was to take it from over an hour of them trying to get her to do what she wasnt going to and her repeatedly, repeatedly saying no over it to make it look different.

The video is deceptively edited for a variety of reasons. Also, a transcript doesn't help as much when its a joke. On paper it sounds horrible, but when you listen it's obviously one medical professional making a joke to someone she thought was a medical professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
        I'm on my phone and replies are coming in fast. When I woke up and saw this story on other sites the full video hadn't been released yet and I thought short and long was just that.

As for the joke, people make jokes. It's not rare. There isn't a why, it's just how people interact with the world.
        That is some serious weak sauce there, Jaecp. When you ghouls get on twitter today, don't forget to tweet #CrunchyLivesDon'tMatter. Because that's funny too...
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
          That is some serious weak sauce there, Jaecp. When you ghouls get on twitter today, don't forget to tweet #CrunchyLivesDon'tMatter. Because that's funny too...
          Feel free to explain how it's weak sauce as an answer to whether anything illegal was occurring. I don't give a damn about how the people in this thread are opposed to abortion in general.

Comment

Feel free to explain how it's weak sauce as an answer to whether anything illegal was occurring. I don't give a damn about how the people in this thread are opposed to abortion in general.
            I guess you didn't watch the entire video then? You seem to gloss over the "lamborghini" comment because it's a joke. But your are saying nothing at all about the negotiating of prices that is clearly pointing to her thinking she is getting paid to some extent. Unless you are just that naive to believe the "lamborghini" joke came out of the clear blue.
            "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

I guess you didn't watch the entire video then? You seem to gloss over the "lamborghini" comment because it's a joke. But your are saying nothing at all about the negotiating of prices that is clearly pointing to her thinking she is getting paid to some extent. Unless you are just that naive to believe the "lamborghini" joke came out of the clear blue.
              And you're naive if you think people making jokes during a meetup is code for something nefarious. She had fielded off weird questions from people she thought were in the biomedical field, it's obvious from the video that she was trying to break the mood. She follows up the joke with how she wouldn't know what to do with one and how bad a driver she is. If you've seen the video she repeatedly says that profit is not the motive and that the costs are associated with what it takes for, effectively, shipping and handle costs. She actually the money isn't important! I should quote that "The money isn't important." She is trying to base the costs on what other clinics do because, as has been said before, the money is for the reimbursement of costs moving it around. Theres no reason to know the information off hand (hence why she talks about other meetings, writing proposals, etc) and the attempts to pay more came from them.

As for glossing over things, the full video is around an hour long. I'm not going to start throwing out answers for things you haven't brought up yet. Plus, this was a "sting" The entire point of the Live Action spinoff group was to lead questions and discussions in a way that could be abused via editing to build up outrage. All this video shows us is some women who doesn't know offhand how much it costs to ship organic specimens to wherever CMP said it's lab was and who makes jokes. Everything else is base speculation, made worse by your own desire to see something atrocious in a group you already consider to be evil.

Frankly its boring.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                The point is not the car or even the "shipping costs," but the callousness with which these women speak of killing babies and harvesting their body parts. And that over all fact was not debunked.
                exactly. It was like they were talking about distributing hamburger patties instead of killing and selling human beings.

Comment

There's no evidence it was anything more than a joke. Claiming it was some subtle hint at wanting money is unwarranted
                  Yeah, joking about selling off dead babies. Real funny. ha. ha.

sheesh Jeacp. You are sounding desperate to defend this horror.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    It matters if it's cops recording it because of the Fourth Amendment. But unfortunately that doesn't matter here because what PP did is perfectly legal.
                    It is perfectly legal to record your own conversations even without the other side knowing that you are recording. The only time a warrant is required would be if someone like the police were wiretapping individuals without their permission or knowledge, since the cops would not be part of the conversation. If this group had planted secret cameras and mics in PP's offices without their knowledge, then it would be spying and illegal wiretapping. Walking into PP with a hidden camera recording everything you and they did, would be legal.

Comment

And you're naive if you think people making jokes during a meetup is code for something nefarious. She had fielded off weird questions from people she thought were in the biomedical field, it's obvious from the video that she was trying to break the mood. She follows up the joke with how she wouldn't know what to do with one and how bad a driver she is. If you've seen the video she repeatedly says that profit is not the motive and that the costs are associated with what it takes for, effectively, shipping and handle costs. She actually the money isn't important! I should quote that "The money isn't important." She is trying to base the costs on what other clinics do because, as has been said before, the money is for the reimbursement of costs moving it around. Theres no reason to know the information off hand (hence why she talks about other meetings, writing proposals, etc) and the attempts to pay more came from them.

As for glossing over things, the full video is around an hour long. I'm not going to start throwing out answers for things you haven't brought up yet. Plus, this was a "sting" The entire point of the Live Action spinoff group was to lead questions and discussions in a way that could be abused via editing to build up outrage. All this video shows us is some women who doesn't know offhand how much it costs to ship organic specimens to wherever CMP said it's lab was and who makes jokes. Everything else is base speculation, made worse by your own desire to see something atrocious in a group you already consider to be evil.

Frankly its boring.
                      It is very obvious to anyone watching the video that she was not joking. She made a joke at the very end about what she wanted the money for (the car) but the rest of the conversation is obviously not a joke, and is not funny in any context. She was very serious in her discussions about compensation and selling of intact dead babies.

You just as obviously, recognize the sickness of such discussions and because of your stance on abortion are trying to find a way to dismiss what was said by categorizing it as a "joke" and "boring" -- so you probably do have a conscience buried in there somewhere. Congratulations. Maybe one day it will be able to rise above your efforts to suppress it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        It is perfectly legal to record your own conversations even without the other side knowing that you are recording.
                        I'm pretty sure that depends on State Law.

In most states, it's legal to record a phone call or conversation where at least one of the parties (you) know it's being recorded.
                        In some states, ALL parties must consent. (this is complicated, of course, by a phone conversation covering two or more states with different state laws)
                        In almost all cases, it's illegal to record a phone call or conversation to which you are not a party, without a warrant.

Source: Digital Medial Law

Eleven states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful. These "two-party consent" laws have been adopted in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. (Notes: (1) Illinois' two-party consent statute was held unconstitutional in 2014; (2) Hawai'i is in general a one-party state, but requires two-party consent if the recording device is installed in a private place; (3) Massachusetts bans "secret" recordings rather than requiring explicit consent from all parties.). Although they are referred to as "two-party consent" laws, consent must be obtained from every party to a phone call or conversation if it involves more than two people. In some of these states, it might be enough if all parties to the call or conversation know that you are recording and proceed with the communication anyway, even if they do not voice explicit consent. See the State Law: Recording section of this legal guide for information on specific states' wiretapping laws.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Another point from this second video that is often missed is the fact that altering the method or timing of an abortion in order to harvest organs is a clear violation of federal law. It is clear that PP is deliberately violating the federal law regarding abortion methods. Altering the methods puts the patients at a greater risk.
                          The 1993 National Institutes of Health Revitalization Act states that human fetal tissue may be obtained from an abortion only if “no alteration of the timing, method or procedures used to terminate the pregnancy was made solely for the purposes of obtaining the tissue” and the “abortion was performed in accordance with applicable state law.”

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...cedure-illegal
                          Faith is not what we fall back to when reason isn't available. It's the conviction of what we have reason to believe. Greg Koukl

The loss of objectivity in moral thought does not lead to liberation. It leads to oppression. Secular ideologies preach liberty, but they practice tyranny. — Nancy Pearcey

Comment

Here's an opinion piece that might be of interest: "And tone isn’t the issue. The issue is that we’re commodifying human fetuses and harvesting parts for distribution in the marketplace, using rationalizations that can justify anything."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...61437234860708

also this - from a liberal's perspective:
                            http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...wers/30426475/
                            Last edited by Papa Zoom; 07-22-2015, 01:44 PM.
                            Faith is not what we fall back to when reason isn't available. It's the conviction of what we have reason to believe. Greg Koukl

The loss of objectivity in moral thought does not lead to liberation. It leads to oppression. Secular ideologies preach liberty, but they practice tyranny. — Nancy Pearcey

Comment

Frankly its boring.
                              I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised that you find it a joking manner to talk about selling off dead babies as though they are a package of beef to be shipped off to do what you please with them. I guess when you're trying to defend an evil practice of violently ripping children out of the womb for the God awful crime of daring to be conceived, I guess any rationalization, is a good one.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Yeah, joking about selling off dead babies. Real funny. ha. ha.

sheesh Jeacp. You are sounding desperate to defend this horror.
                                When you're trying to defend an evil practice, any rationalization will due.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment