Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Interesting Comments on the Confederate Flag Debate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    He is wrong on several points and woefully reductionist on several others. If I feel up to it tomorrow, I'll deconstruct his comments and correct him where he needs it and affirm him where he deserves it.
    Look foward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      The Brits were eventually sent packing and lost the war of 1812.
      Even most americans aren't dumb enough to pretend they won the war, they usually stick to pretending it was a tie. The US invaded Canada, was expelled, then started getting invaded itself. And in typical American fashion you pretend you weren't the aggressor. There's no way you can spin that as anything other than a loss.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        You guys had nothing whatsoever to do with that except to go running off to your Brit overlords and beg them to do it for you in revenge for our sacking of York (Toronto) and the raid on Port Dover. It was a British force originally stationed in Bermuda that sacked Washington D.C. while you guys were still resting up after going out and clubbing baby seals.

This is like some crybaby kid sending his father over to beat up another kid and then boasting how he was the one to beat him up
        Canada WAS (and still is nominally) the British. It's like saying it doesn't count because you were trounced with the left hand rather than the right.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          Canada WAS (and still is nominally) the British. It's like saying it doesn't count because you were trounced with the left hand rather than the right.
          Still like whining to daddy and having him go over and beat up the other kid and then boasting that you're the one who did it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Still like whining to daddy and having him go over and beat up the other kid and then boasting that you're the one who did it.
            I can't hear you over the cackling fires in the Library of Congress.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              The Brits did not lose the War of 1812. During much of it they were sorta preoccupied with this guy named Napoleon. The United States was lucky to get out of that conflict as a wash, as the Brits could have declined to negotiate a treaty and sent their veterans over.
              Coulda, woulda, shoulda is not history as it is.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I can't hear you over the cackling fires in the Library of Congress.
                You're mistaking the death screams of baby seals for the sound of fire

It really says a lot when someone keeps trying to take credit for what others did because they were incapable of doing it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Even most americans aren't dumb enough to pretend they won the war, they usually stick to pretending it was a tie. The US invaded Canada, was expelled, then started getting invaded itself. And in typical American fashion you pretend you weren't the aggressor. There's no way you can spin that as anything other than a loss.
                  Yes, the US was the aggressor. We were ticked off about Americans being impressed to serve on board His Majesty's ships, which stopped after the war. No territory changed hands as a result of the conflict. Canada was more a target of opportunity; we failed to gain anything there, but what did we lose?
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Of course.

How, exactly, do you imagine that refutes my post?

(kindly ignore the inadvertent 'amen')
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Of course.

How, exactly, do you imagine that refutes my post?

(kindly ignore the inadvertent 'amen')
                      Refutation? It is a witness to its ridiculous OFF TOPIC nature. Thanks for the 'Amen!'
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Yes, the US was the aggressor. We were ticked off about Americans being impressed to serve on board His Majesty's ships, which stopped after the war. No territory changed hands as a result of the conflict. Canada was more a target of opportunity; we failed to gain anything there, but what did we lose?
                        When you start an offensive war and don't gain anything it is a loss. Imagine Britain trying to invade France, failing to gain anything, getting pushed back, war ending with the French in the British Isles, then claim it was a tie, or if you're Shuny levels of delusional, a victory.

Comment

Face to foot style, how'd you like it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            He is wrong on several points and woefully reductionist on several others. If I feel up to it tomorrow, I'll deconstruct his comments and correct him where he needs it and affirm him where he deserves it.
                            Gotta bump this for my action... May not happen
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

When you start an offensive war and don't gain anything it is a loss. Imagine Britain trying to invade France, failing to gain anything, getting pushed back, war ending with the French in the British Isles, then claim it was a tie, or if you're Shuny levels of delusional, a victory.
                              We gained in that the British stopped impressing American sailors, which was the main reason we went to war in the first place.

sigpic

Comment

We gained in that the British stopped impressing American sailors, which was the main reason we went to war in the first place.
                                They also stopped blockading American ships so that they couldn't trade with France (which under international law as a neutral third party we had the right to do) but that was really the result of their having defeated France. They also slowed down considerably in arming the Native American tribes and pretty much stopped encouraging them to attack American settlers in the "northwest" (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin). Those were also important factors in starting the War of 1812.

Comment