Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Having too many billionaire donors is hurting the Republican party...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Which won't be worth squat as he watches the nomination go to some other Democrat.
    Most likely, unless people wake up and stop falling for the propaganda and misinformation that the big money is pouring like poison into the porches of their ears.

Comment

Sander's is polling at around 20% currently, trailing far behind Clinton, but more than double any other Democrat.

Clinton had similar leads over Obama at various points back in the 2008 primary when he was just "some Jr. Senator from Illinois"

Clinton is actually more popular now than she was in 2008 though, so that is different. Although we should also note that in 2008 the gap didn't start to really get close until it was actually 2008. All throughout 2007 Clinton held her lead.
      Last edited by Jaecp; 07-19-2015, 05:01 PM.

Comment

But Obama had a burgeoning grassroots campaign. Sanders does not.

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
          But Obama had a burgeoning grassroots campaign. Sanders does not.
          You're being sarcastic, no?

Comment

Sanders was polling at 4% in March, 8% in April, and if Jaecp is right, 20 % now. I'd say that was burgeoning, and it is definitely grassroots!

Comment

You'll see the grassroots campaign grow over time

This video is getting hits, currently at 200k, and people are sharing it around https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7L9V7oGRv8 In the video, he mentions that people have already, in the hundreds of thousands, pledged to volunteer on the campaign. The video is about 4 minutes long, you might enjoy it.

Heres a list of meetups, around the country, http://www.peopleforbernie.com/99meetups

Bernie is incredibly popular among the people active in local Democrat politics and he has a burgeoning grassroots campaign as well. At this point in the contest between Hillary and Barack in the 2008 primary Hillary was still trouncing, just trouncing, now President Obama.

Social Media wise, Sander's FB group has about 80% of the number of people as Clintons, but her campaign page has been around before. Bernie is a relatively new face to national politics so many people are hearing about him for the first time

Comment

Jim,

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...lls/president/

Fox did a poll, Sanders polled a little over 19% and clinton a little under 60%. Other polls have had him a little lower, some a little higher, and in state level polls he has been doing very well. Not to be discounted

Comment

Not really. Obama was becoming more well known nationally during mid 2000's, and ran an excellent campaign, whether others care to admit it or not.

Mr. Sanders, while a longtime senator and more independent minded, doesn't seem to have the potential structure in place to be a viable long term candidate. But maybe I'm wrong too.

Comment

I'd never heard of him until the 08 primary started

And, uhh, I just posted some links of how that structure is forming. It's not like Obama had that structure at the start of the campaign.

Comment

I wonder if any of these canidates poll as well as Sanders does in his own state? 75% approval rating!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                        I'd never heard of him until the 08 primary started

And, uhh, I just posted some links of how that structure is forming. It's not like Obama had that structure at the start of the campaign.
                        I've heard of him at the time. He was outspoken against the Iraq war. And I live in one of the reddest of red states.

I'm not trying to discount Sanders. I just think he will have a more difficult climb to the nomination.

(and your posts w/the links came while I was writing my reply. )

Comment

Obama, if memory serves, was polling better against Clinton at this point in the primaries (> 35%) than Sanders currently is (and more consistently across states, IIRC). But, really, the comparison should stop there: Clinton is much better organized than her campaign was back then, Obama was much more organized nationally then than Sanders is now, and Obama was much more electable than Sanders. As much as I agree with Sanders, he's not going to rally everyone in the base, let alone have broad enough appeal to win the general.
                          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Obama came to prominence after his 2004 speech at the DNC; he'd been part of the Beltway political gossip for a number of years prior to the 2007/2008 primary run.
                            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              I wonder if any of these canidates poll as well in their own states as Sanders does in his own state? 75% approval rating!
                              Correction to my previous post.

Comment