Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How Segregated Is the South Compared to Progressive Metros?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Segregated Is the South Compared to Progressive Metros?

Here we go checkout this Fancy Racial Dot map Zoom in on The South and compare who's the most "segregated"

http://demographics.coopercenter.org...ource=PourOver

Progressives couldn't be more ignorant about their own backyard could they?
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Why did a Northerner and a Canadian amen this?
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
      One's geographical location should have no bearing on whether or not they agree with a post.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        One's geographical location should have no bearing on whether or not they agree with a post.
        Yes, but I thought it was odd that someone who lives in the region that's made to look bad would apparently heartily support the post.
        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
          Here we go checkout this Fancy Racial Dot map Zoom in on The South and compare who's the most "segregated"

http://demographics.coopercenter.org...ource=PourOver

Progressives couldn't be more ignorant about their own backyard could they?
          I don't understand the accusation being leveled: pretty much everyone who has looked at those sort of maps knows that most urban areas remain segregated, whether they are North, South, East, or West. I don't know of any modern-day Progressives arguing that Northern cities are -so- much less segregated than Southern cities. I certainly don't know anyone arguing that the South is still chock-full of "Sunset towns".

Segregation, as an argument today, is more about equal access to public utilities, schools, etc. In other words, the argument is over what state and local policies (including housing) are in effect that create or exacerbate this segregation.

The South isn't alone in that sort of segregation, of course, but you'd think those states would work a bit harder to shed the image by ameliorating some of those policy decisions.
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            I don't understand the accusation being leveled: pretty much everyone who has looked at those sort of maps knows that most urban areas remain segregated, whether they are North, South, East, or West. I don't know of any modern-day Progressives arguing that Northern cities are -so- much less segregated than Southern cities. I certainly don't know anyone arguing that the South is still chock-full of "Sunset towns".

Segregation, as an argument today, is more about equal access to public utilities, schools, etc. In other words, the argument is over what state and local policies (including housing) are in effect that create or exacerbate this segregation.

The South isn't alone in that sort of segregation, of course, but you'd think those states would work a bit harder to shed the image by ameliorating some of those policy decisions.
            I don't recollect being in anything BUT equal housing or utilities anywhere, and neither was anyone else. There are bigger problems where illegal apartments exist, (See Large cities) and landlords who don't care, but NC then again had a rough and tough landlord stance regarding how far away the management could live even in so called "off site" apartments and houses. And as far as public Schools go, our schools speak for themselves, regarding college access, scholarships, who we graduate and where a person can go. And a person CAN choose there way out of poverty. Larger more "progressive" cities seem to have a bigger problem with predatory housing policies, allowances, and certainly they make the news. Can you explain this.
            Here's the JPMorgan problem http://atty.lacity.org/stellent/grou...typ_028287.pdf

http://www.georgialegalaid.org/resou...datory-lending

Note About these two different Practices. In La they target on Race mostly, In Georgia, its population vulnerability.

Obviously Predatory Lending is illegal and morally wrong.
            BTW, The "South" integrated and appears to have fewer problems with equal access to....everything We did it before anyone else did and we've not had any problems mingling and working together. I want to see places who make and SCREAM racism and segregation do their part, instead of pick on us.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Because truth matters to some. Defense should not be confused with defensiveness.

Southerners long since lost any tolerance for accusations of racism from hypocritical bigots. We do try to fairly hear legitimate criticism but we aren't inclined to listen to those who can't do the same.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

That came out harsher than intended.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Because truth matters to some. Defense should not be confused with defensiveness.

Southerners long since lost any tolerance for accusations of racism from hypocritical bigots. We do try to fairly hear legitimate criticism but we aren't inclined to listen to those who can't do the same.
                  I don't like it anymore than you do
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

People seem to come in and pretend we have specifically designated "White" and "Colored" Drinking fountains in our schools still and "white" and "colored" restraunts. Umm We don't and haven't IN 50 YEARS!!!!!!!!!
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Right, but again, I'm not sure why someone who lives in the North--the region that's made to look bad here--is apparently so happy about this news. If I lived in the North, I'd be deeply troubled about this level of segregation.
                      Last edited by fm93; 07-18-2015, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Right, but again, I'm not sure why someone who lives in the North--the region that's made to look bad here--is apparently so happy about this news. If I lived in the North, I'd been deeply troubled about this level of segregation.
                        Happy isn't necessarily the reason - it's probably an affirmation (yeah, that's right) which is not a bad thing. You can't correct what you will not acknowledge.

Or they simply thought is was a good point being made - not that is was a good thing.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Right, but again, I'm not sure why someone who lives in the North--the region that's made to look bad here--is apparently so happy about this news. If I lived in the North, I'd been deeply troubled about this level of segregation.
                          "happy?" You think anyone's happy to see predatory lending and such hypocrisy? and widespread segregation? Are you nuts? No but its a map that says "Hey what are you pointing your finger at look at the three pointing back in your own backyard and please go fix it. And here, let us "Ignoramus'" Help you, because apparently we know how to do it, but you probably won't like what we have to say.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I don't recollect being in anything BUT equal housing or utilities anywhere, and neither was anyone else. There are bigger problems where illegal apartments exist, (See Large cities) and landlords who don't care, but NC then again had a rough and tough landlord stance regarding how far away the management could live even in so called "off site" apartments and houses. And as far as public Schools go, our schools speak for themselves, regarding college access, scholarships, who we graduate and where a person can go. And a person CAN choose there way out of poverty. Larger more "progressive" cities seem to have a bigger problem with predatory housing policies, allowances, and certainly they make the news. Can you explain this.
                            Here's the JPMorgan problem http://atty.lacity.org/stellent/grou...typ_028287.pdf

http://www.georgialegalaid.org/resou...datory-lending

Note About these two different Practices. In La they target on Race mostly, In Georgia, its population vulnerability.

Obviously Predatory Lending is illegal and morally wrong.
                            BTW, The "South" integrated and appears to have fewer problems with equal access to....everything We did it before anyone else did and we've not had any problems mingling and working together. I want to see places who make and SCREAM racism and segregation do their part, instead of pick on us.
                            I'm again unsure what the argument's thread is, here. Equal housing (insomuch as it exists) is largely thanks to federal policies such as the Fair Housing Act and agencies such as HUD. The Fair Housing Act's "disparate impact" policy just came under direct threat from the Texas Department of Housing. From my reading of the subject in the past, I believe numerous (predominately southern) states were ready to change their own policies against fair housing in the event that SCOTUS struck down the disparate impact standard.

That's certainly not to say that this is solely a Southern problem but, as Erik Loomis writes today:

Source: South or the Nation? Erik Loomis. Lawyers, Guns, Money Blog. 2015.07.18

... it is southern states that are seeking to disfranchise African-Americans in the wake of the Supreme Court overturning the most important parts of the Voting Rights Act and it’s also southern states denying the Supreme Court’s verdict on gay marriage, executing African-Americans in racist criminal injustice systems, and where the last die-hards going to the mat for the Confederate flag are hanging on.

Yes, racism is a national problem. No, the North and the West are hardly immune from the horrors of white supremacy. But yes, these problems are worse in the South and it’s important to recognize where the front line of the civil rights struggle remains.

© Copyright Original Source

It's entirely meritorious to point out the national issues and failures that still exist regarding race and segregation. It remains the case, however, that the South is where most of these battles are still being fought among state legislatures and/or between states and the federal government. Admittedly, that perspective tends to be a bit anachronistic, as increasing polarization between Republicans and Democrats will alter the geography of those policy battles.

"I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

"happy?" You think anyone's happy to see predatory lending and such hypocrisy? and widespread segregation? Are you nuts? No but its a map that says "Hey what are you pointing your finger at look at the three pointing back in your own backyard and please go fix it. And here, let us "Ignoramus'" Help you, because apparently we know how to do it, but you probably won't like what we have to say.
                              I, uh...we're clearly on different pages here. I wasn't referring to "predatory lending" at all.

I am sorry Predatory Lending was intended to refer to "predatory politicians, lenders, and businesses which keep segregation active" Also this was somewhat a reference to earlier posts from other forum. I was typing too fast to think. I apologize.

And it is VERY disheartening to see this kind of heavy segregation in cities that are considered the most "progressive" and knowledgeable.

And it is kind of a, We knew it all along here's the proof.
                              Last edited by Catholicity; 07-18-2015, 05:32 PM.

Comment