Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How Segregated Is the South Compared to Progressive Metros?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    I don't recollect being in anything BUT equal housing or utilities anywhere, and neither was anyone else. There are bigger problems where illegal apartments exist, (See Large cities) and landlords who don't care, but NC then again had a rough and tough landlord stance regarding how far away the management could live even in so called "off site" apartments and houses. And as far as public Schools go, our schools speak for themselves, regarding college access, scholarships, who we graduate and where a person can go. And a person CAN choose there way out of poverty. Larger more "progressive" cities seem to have a bigger problem with predatory housing policies, allowances, and certainly they make the news. Can you explain this.
    Here's the JPMorgan problem http://atty.lacity.org/stellent/grou...typ_028287.pdf

http://www.georgialegalaid.org/resou...datory-lending

Note About these two different Practices. In La they target on Race mostly, In Georgia, its population vulnerability.

Obviously Predatory Lending is illegal and morally wrong.
    BTW, The "South" integrated and appears to have fewer problems with equal access to....everything We did it before anyone else did and we've not had any problems mingling and working together. I want to see places who make and SCREAM racism and segregation do their part, instead of pick on us.
    It remains the fact that there are not progressives lauding the north for being a model for integration, nor that racism was not pandemic in the North also, and that racist abuse of the Federal, state and local governments was not a country wide disgraceful problem. The endemic racism in ALL of America is indeed an embarrassing problem.

I grew up in the South and have lived in the South, and the endemic racism has been more hateful, violent and aggressive than any other region of the Country, with the KKK leading the charge.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
      I, uh...we're clearly on different pages here. I wasn't referring to "predatory lending" at all.
      Predatory lending is indeed an issue nationwide, but also is the highly discriminatory history of the Federal support programs of farmers, but the South has a particular vindictive hateful racism that knows no parallel in the rest of the USA.

I am sorry Predatory Lending was intended to refer to "predatory politicians, lenders, and businesses which keep segregation active" Also this was somewhat a reference to earlier posts from other forum. I was typing too fast to think. I apologize.

And it is VERY disheartening to see this kind of heavy segregation in cities that are considered the most "progressive" and knowledgeable.

And it is kind of a, We knew it all along here's the proof.[/QUOTE]
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        "happy?" You think anyone's happy to see predatory lending and such hypocrisy? and widespread segregation? Are you nuts? No but its a map that says "Hey what are you pointing your finger at look at the three pointing back in your own backyard and please go fix it. And here, let us "Ignoramus'" Help you, because apparently we know how to do it, but you probably won't like what we have to say.
        No hypocrisy here, because progressives do not approve of the predatory lending anywhere in the country.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          I don't understand the accusation being leveled: pretty much everyone who has looked at those sort of maps knows that most urban areas remain segregated, whether they are North, South, East, or West. I don't know of any modern-day Progressives arguing that Northern cities are -so- much less segregated than Southern cities. I certainly don't know anyone arguing that the South is still chock-full of "Sunset towns".

Segregation, as an argument today, is more about equal access to public utilities, schools, etc. In other words, the argument is over what state and local policies (including housing) are in effect that create or exacerbate this segregation.
          Urban areas are also more liberal than rural ones so I'm not sure what you're protesting, other than that the OP doesn't slam liberals enough.

The South isn't alone in that sort of segregation, of course, but you'd think those states would work a bit harder to shed the image by ameliorating some of those policy decisions.
          It's obvious huge chunks of the population, both black and white, like segregation because they segregate themselves on their own, even without any laws enforcing it. Forcing people who don't like each other to live together just to spite Bull Connor sounds like the typical type of liberal idiotic policy that end with large body counts.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            Urban areas are also more liberal than rural ones so I'm not sure what you're protesting, other than that the OP doesn't slam liberals enough.

It's obvious huge chunks of the population, both black and white, like segregation because they segregate themselves on their own, even without any laws enforcing it. Forcing people who don't like each other to live together just to spite Bull Connor sounds like the typical type of liberal idiotic policy that end with large body counts.
            Progressives or ah . . . liberals as you describe never promoted 'forced' integration of neighborhoods. but they passed legislation for equal opportunity lending by financial institutions, and equal opportunity housing where discrimination based on race and religion could not be the basis of limiting the sale of housing. What was opposed was forced segregation.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-20-2015, 09:47 PM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              Progressives or ah . . . liberals as you describe never promoted 'forced' integration of neighborhoods. but they passed legislation for equal opportunity lending by financial institutions, and equal opportunity housing where discrimination based on race and religion could not be the basis of limiting the sale of housing. What was opposed was forced segregation.
              "Equal opportunity housing" IS forced integration. And you sure love making up history. Liberals have been pushing active desegregation in neighbourhoods that aren't theirs for ages.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

"Equal opportunity housing" IS forced integration. And you sure love making up history. Liberals have been pushing active desegregation in neighbourhoods that aren't theirs for ages.
                My response to you concerned "Equal Opportunity Housing" was NOT in reference to bussing, which is a separate issue. Busing is a separate issue is you wish to discuss it. "Equal Opportunity Housing" was legislation to prevent discrimination based on race and religion when selling housing.

Frank

Comment

My response to you concerned "Equal Opportunity Housing" was NOT in reference to bussing, which is a separate issue. Busing is a separate issue is you wish to discuss it.
                  You claimed progressives never forced integration. That's why I reminded you of bussing. Because it was a BS claim (so unlike you).

"Equal Opportunity Housing" was legislation to prevent discrimination based on race and religion when selling housing.
                  In other words, forced integration.

Comment

You claimed progressives never forced integration. That's why I reminded you of bussing. Because it was a BS claim (so unlike you).

In other words, forced integration.
                    I clearly referenced housing as you did. Busing is a separate topic, and I will be willing to discuss that separately if you wish, but your moving the goal posts from your first statement.

Frank

Comment

I clearly referenced housing as you did. Busing is a separate topic, and I will be willing to discuss that separately if you wish, but your moving the goal posts from your first statement.
                      I never said anything about housing specifically. Unless you want to make the absurd claim that going to school isn't really living even though it's the central social hub and main focus of the average kid's life.

Comment

I never said anything about housing specifically. Unless you want to make the absurd claim that going to school isn't really living even though it's the central social hub and main focus of the average kid's life.
                        Yes you did, note high lighted . . .

There never was any progressive legislation that 'forced people of different races and religions to live together.
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-21-2015, 03:14 PM.

Frank

Comment

Yes you did, note high lighted . . .
                          There's nothing in the highlighted part about housing specifically.

There never was any progressive legislation that 'forced people of different races and religions to live together.
                          1. Living together involves more than housing.
                          2. You yourself highlighted legislation that prevents people from living in monoracial neighbourhoods, so it was a lie.

Comment

2. You yourself highlighted legislation that prevents people from living in monoracial neighbourhoods, so it was a lie.
                            True, the laws passed forbid racial and religious discrimination when selling a house on the public market when employing a Real-estate agent. One may still privately sell a house to whom ever on chooses, If one does not use a third party business to arrange the sale

Frank

Comment