Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should the US Adopt the Metric System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    No. It wastes a lot of materials, time and energy because very quickly you end up having to replace all the new signage, et al in order to eliminate the rampant confusion.

We tried it. We didn't like it. So no. Besides, three feet make a yard is just not that complicated. The only time most people need to convert miles to kilometers is when looking at a foreign map - which they are probably doing on Google so how hard is it to use Google for the conversion assuming you even really care. Industries that want to use metric are free to do so - and some do. You can buy bolts in either system from any hardware store (and it's easy to tell who is fixing a foreign made product or building their own ). If you don't own a calculator, Dollar Tree is just down the street - you don't even have to do the math anymore.

Y'all keep your danged metrics to yourselves. You got the Coke bottles years ago - why ya gotta take everything?
    You're right that the current system is possible to learn. But like our spelling system, it is more complicated than it needs to be.

And plus, with regards to signage, some states use sequential exit numbers and some use mileage-based exit numbers and everything seems to work out okay.
    Also, I don't see why it would be so hard to at least use metric for everything in the future. For example, a 1 inch part could become a 2.54 centimeter part.
    Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
      Then why call it English?
      They started it?
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        Actually a meter is a meter, defined as the length light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 second. It's the feet that are different. The only difference in the United States meter and the International meter is how it's spelled.
        That is the modern international meter. In 1866 the US didn't have lasers, and it was by an act of congress 1866 that a meter was defined to be exactly 39.37 inches for land measurement.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

MNLMnaf.jpg
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            Fixed it for you, there is no civilization anywhere in this world.

When I was a kid I thought it was a great idea. Now that I am old, not so much.
            Just the opposite for me. I believe staying with the U.S. Customary System is one factor in the poor general maths knowledge in U.S. kids.

But I DO think speed should be measured in furlongs/fortnight and body weight in stones and (avoirdupois) pounds.

And I do like the "slug".

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
              Just the opposite for me. I believe staying with the U.S. Customary System is one factor in the poor general maths knowledge in U.S. kids.

But I DO think speed should be measured in furlongs/fortnight and body weight in stones and (avoirdupois) pounds.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/...converter.html
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I want Navy ships measured in cubits instead of feet.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not sure how that correlates. One needs to use more math in the US system; wouldn't the extra necessary practice help rather than hinder?
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                    It seems to me that it would make sense for the U.S. to adopt the metric system as its official system of units. It is much easier to convert units in the within the metric system, and it would (eventually) end the need to convert from the U.S. customary system to the metric system. With only one set of units needed for manufacturing products, foreign trade would also be easier. While there would be some costs to adopt it, it seems as though the time saved from no longer having to use the old system would eventually pay off.

I figure we should pick up where we left off and finish changing all the highway signs to metric. There are already a couple highways with metric signs that were put up when the U.S. first tried to switch in the 1970s (eg. I-19).

And just for reference, here is a history of the metric system in the United States: http://science.howstuffworks.com/why...ric-system.htm
                    One group or another has been trying to convert us to the metric system since the 70s. It didn't happen then, and it probably won't happen now.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Defective site. No conversion for the slug.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

The standard U.S. energy unit ought to be the cwt x milli-nautical miles. Where "cwt" = U.S. hundredweight.

"Velocity of a sheep in a vacuum" -

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                          That is the modern international meter. In 1866 the US didn't have lasers, and it was by an act of congress 1866 that a meter was defined to be exactly 39.37 inches for land measurement.
                          Of course for you science stopped in 1866.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            I want Navy ships measured in cubits instead of feet.
                            Which cubit? It depends on whose arm.

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                              You're right that the current system is possible to learn. But like our spelling system, it is more complicated than it needs to be.

And plus, with regards to signage, some states use sequential exit numbers and some use mileage-based exit numbers and everything seems to work out okay.
                              Also, I don't see why it would be so hard to at least use metric for everything in the future. For example, a 1 inch part could become a 2.54 centimeter part.
                              I did try to answer earlier - but both times it was eaten. Stupid phone wifi...

1) No system is perfect.

2) No, you misunderstand. We did this once already. The US spent a ton of money putting up metric road signs - only to have to pull them down again because it was such a dismal failure. Metric is NOT easier for someone who grew up using the US system. the terminology is new and sometimes confusing. If memory serves - I am not certain - there were even fatalities linked to the new system as drivers became confused about which numbers were which.

We tried, we really did. It did not work. I see no good reason to try again.

3) That was part of why it failed - it's a really bad idea to mix the systems. People get confused about which measure to use and extremely frustrated when inevitably, errors are caused by the change. One little oopsie and you just ordered a 2.5 inch part that is one and a half times too big. Modern computers might be able to bridge this gap - but I suspect you'd just end up with a bunch of hopping mad housewives who's dinners were still thawing in the 50F degree oven - or were turned to charcoal when they thought 450C was what it said...
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                I did try to answer earlier - but both times it was eaten. Stupid phone wifi...

1) No system is perfect.

2) No, you misunderstand. We did this once already. The US spent a ton of money putting up metric road signs - only to have to pull them down again because it was such a dismal failure. Metric is NOT easier for someone who grew up using the US system. the terminology is new and sometimes confusing. If memory serves - I am not certain - there were even fatalities linked to the new system as drivers became confused about which numbers were which.
                                Putting up new metric signs did not fail. It was simply not followed through with as it should have been.

We tried, we really did. It did not work. I see no good reason to try again.

3) That was part of why it failed - it's a really bad idea to mix the systems. People get confused about which measure to use and extremely frustrated when inevitably, errors are caused by the change. One little oopsie and you just ordered a 2.5 inch part that is one and a half times too big. Modern computers might be able to bridge this gap - but I suspect you'd just end up with a bunch of hopping mad housewives who's dinners were still thawing in the 50F degree oven - or were turned to charcoal when they thought 450C was what it said...
                                You should not mix systems, we lost multi-million dollar satellite and more because of this foolishness. We need to give up the ancient nostalgia where our measurement is the length of the king's foot.
                                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment