Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should the US Adopt the Metric System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    I find that most games are better played than watched.
    This reminds me of that time I saw a game of dominoes on ESPN.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      Red herring.
      Translation: Um, okay, so maybe there might be a reason it's called 'football' after all...
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• The UK is half and half and has been for decades, no problem. Anything technical is metric. Motor car speedometers are calibrated both in miles per hour and km/hr and road distances are given in miles but not km. We buy pints of beer in the pub but litres of milk and fuel. Supermarket foods are metric but the butcher still understands lbs. Temperatures are nowadays consistently centigrade.

The 24 hour clock will live forever.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            That's almost as good as watching a rousing game of Texas Hold'em, where you get to see everyone's hand!
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              That's almost as good as watching a rousing game of Texas Hold'em, where you get to see everyone's hand!
              I actually find poker pretty interesting, but that dominoes match...that was something else.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Translation: Um, okay, so maybe there might be a reason it's called 'football' after all...

I already mentioned the fact that you occasionally kick the ball in American football. My point was that the time you actually spend kicking the ball as opposed to how much time is spent holding the ball in your hand/arm doesn't justify it being called football. Your comment about how American football players kick the ball so-and-so much farther than soccer players is completely besides the point.

IOW, your post was a red herring.

Comment

Let's see you kick one fifty yards between two uprights that suddenly seem to be toothpicks. Or a hundred yards or more merely to watch the other guys scramble for it.

Soccer passes 20 - 30 yards at most - and usually when the game isn't much to watch...

Cricket is more like the UK answer to golf... and about as much fun to watch. Might be fun to play - I find that most games are better played than watched.
                  50 yards? pfft.

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                    50 yards? pfft.

Yeah, but what's good in football is usually bad in soccer - long range passes are a good way to give the ball to the other team in soccer.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Chrawnus is just miffed because Americans figured out it was more interesting to throw the ball than to just kick it, and didn't feel like changing the name.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post

I already mentioned the fact that you occasionally kick the ball in American football. My point was that the time you actually spend kicking the ball as opposed to how much time is spent holding the ball in your hand/arm doesn't justify it being called football. Your comment about how American football players kick the ball so-and-so much farther than soccer players is completely besides the point.

IOW, your post was a red herring.
                        And who made you the naming convention king? There's no rule book that says time being kicked is a necessary criteria - distance is just as valid. And by distance football has a better claim than soccer.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Yeah, but what's good in football is usually bad in soccer - long range passes are a good way to give the ball to the other team in soccer.
                          ...except that kicking in football is more often than not done to give the ball to the other team on purpose.

sigpic

Comment

• What about kick-the-can?
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              ...except that kicking in football is more often than not done to give the ball to the other team on purpose.
                              Um, about equally to score an additional point. Punting and conversions messing up the stats.

Like I said, bad in soccer can be good in football - the game sorta ends if there is no kick off.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Um, about equally to score an additional point. Punting and conversions messing up the stats.
                                After every field goal and extra point, there is another kick to give the ball back to the other team. Throw in opening kickoffs, kicks after 2-point conversions, safeties and punts, and field goals/XPs are in the decided minority.

sigpic

Comment