Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should the US Adopt the Metric System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just find it humorous that people would feel strongly about what units of measurement other people ought to think in terms of. Use whatever units you want. Let others use whatever units they want. When you need to work together on some project, discuss and come to some agreement. Or part ways if you and they are so stubborn you can't come to agreement.

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
    The big problem is that science is done in the metric system. Continually converting from USCS to SI (Systeme Internationale -- the proper name for the "metric" systerm) and SI to USCS is confusing and a distraction to learning.
    I have an engineering degree. I don't care what units people use. Science can be "done" in any units. And you can use different units in different cases, depending on what is most convenient. Even when "doing science", e.g. meters vs lightyears vs astronomical units (AU), or grams vs electron mass, coulomb vs electron charge, joule vs electronvolt. Insisting on one unit ever is silly, and that's not how "science is done".

Though when collaborating on a project, yes, of course, you need to agree on and stick to a convention, or disaster could result.

Also if you want to be strict with SI units, then you should stop referring to such things as minutes and hours, and only speak in terms of seconds, kiloseconds, etc.

"I'll meet you there in 4 kiloseconds."

Q: How old are you?
    A: 900 megaseconds. I turned 900Ms just last megasecond.

Also you should use only radians, and never degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Here's an interesting fact sheet showing problems with the conversion, and turning them into math word problems. Great idea! Deals with the loss of the Mars Orbiter, a problem with a Disney ride in Tokyo, and an Air Canada flight that ran out of fuel due to conversion errors.
      Cool beans.

It's interesting that a NASA site would still use the incorrect term "English" instead of the proper name the U.S. Customary System.

The main thing holding up a U.S. switch to the SI is the false notion that every quantity needs to be converted. Adults with at least two functioning neurons - Just take a week and learn the darned SI, and how its units are applied in the real world. If taught from kindergarten on up, it would never be a problem.

And the SI units have been to be (most of the time -- Pascals being one exception) close in size to USCS units.

km is about 60% of a mile
      Hectare is about 2.5 acres

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
        I just find it humorous that people would feel strongly about what units of measurement other people ought to think in terms of. Use whatever units you want. Let others use whatever units they want. When you need to work together on some project, discuss and come to some agreement. Or part ways if you and they are so stubborn you can't come to agreement.

I have an engineering degree. I don't care what units people use. Science can be "done" in any units. And you can use different units in different cases, depending on what is most convenient. Even when "doing science", e.g. meters vs lightyears vs astronomical units (AU), or grams vs electron mass, coulomb vs electron charge, joule vs electronvolt. Insisting on one unit ever is silly, and that's not how "science is done".

Though when collaborating on a project, yes, of course, you need to agree on and stick to a convention, or disaster could result.

Also if you want to be strict with SI units, then you should stop referring to such things as minutes and hours, and only speak in terms of seconds, kiloseconds, etc.

Well, you SHOULD care.

Is this some Libertarian 'merica first type deal with you?

Comment

I know you're just funnin', but no nation that uses the SI is this stupid.

Of course scientists and ENGINEERS should have problem with microseconds. etc.

Comment

We need a mandatory standard because scientists and engineers are too stupid to pick up a phone and ask what units the other guys are using? Thaw the danged chicken already.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              We need a mandatory standard because scientists and engineers are too stupid to pick up a phone and ask what units the other guys are using? Thaw the danged chicken already.
              Recalcitrant stubborn Ludditeism.

And you mean that !{scientists, engineers} is the set of stupid ones. (! is set complement).

Hey, Teal -- hate to break it to you but your electric bill uses the SI.

one Watt = one Joule/second.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]9272[/ATTACH]
                Only 33% of countries that don't use the metric system have been to the Moon. The other 67% either have a military dictatorship or an Ebola epidemic.
                Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                  Recalcitrant stubborn Ludditeism.

And you mean that !{scientists, engineers} is the set of stupid ones. (! is set complement).

Hey, Teal -- hate to break it to you but your electric bill uses the SI.

one Watt = one Joule/second.

So what? I wasn't the one that didn't bother to check with the Russians before putting in the part.

If scientists want to use metric, go for it. Why play fascists and force everyone else to needlessly convert? Seriously, why even care how DOT measures between cities unless you happen to be studying mileage in which case learn arithmetic already.

The real reason is that scientists, like mathematicians, can't do arithmetic.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

WE can't use "seconds" - We need a new unit of time, which we will call the "Chron" so you will have chrons, kilochrons, megachrons, microchrons, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      So what? I wasn't the one that didn't bother to check with the Russians before putting in the part.

If scientists want to use metric, go for it. Why play fascists and force everyone else to needlessly convert? Seriously, why even care how DOT measures between cities unless you happen to be studying mileage in which case learn arithmetic already.

The real reason is that scientists, like mathematicians, can't do arithmetic.
                      The arithmetic is the same.

Oh, and check your speedometer.

P.S. "Metric" is EASY.

Edited: God has blessed America, I believe it, America uses the USCS, end of story.

BTW, do you prefer Troy or Avoirdupois?
                      Last edited by klaus54; 09-03-2015, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                        The arithmetic is the same.
                        No, metric is easier - you just slide the decimal point back and forth.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                          The arithmetic is the same. I

Oh, and check your speedometer.

P.S. "Metric" is EASY.

Edited: God has blessed America, I believe it, America uses the USCS, end of story.

BTW, do you prefer Troy or Avoirdupois?
                          lf the arithmetic is the same then why is metric easier? Centimeter is somehow easier to spell than inch, perhaps?

You just don't know your twos table, do you?

You just shot down metrics .best selling point.

Use whatever you like. Just let the rest of us do the same. Of course that hasn't exactly worked to metrics advantage'. Maybe if you keep yelling at people about it we will want to try it....

Probably not ..

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            lf the arithmetic is the same then why is metric easier? Centimeter is somehow easier to spell than inch, perhaps?

You just don't know your twos table, do you?

You just shot down metrics .best selling point.

Use whatever you like. Just let the rest of us do the same. Of course that hasn't exactly worked to metrics advantage'. Maybe if you keep yelling at people about it we will want to try it....

Probably not ..
                            Imagine football commentary... how does "the offensive tackle is 6'4" and 300 lbs" translate..... "the offensive tackle is 193 cm and 140 kg"?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              No, metric is easier - you just slide the decimal point back and forth.
                              Yeah, not sure what he was thinking with that one.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Imagine football commentary... how does "the offensive tackle is 6'4" and 300 lbs" translate..... "the offensive tackle is 193 cm and 140 kg"?

It would take some getting used to. Transitioning would be a massive headache. People tend to not like change, and this would cause change all over the place.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment