Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should the US Adopt the Metric System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the metric system makes total sense in the medical field.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Link directions:
      Search Metric
      >Wikipedia Metric
      >Wikipedia History of the Metric System.

Also contains the metric time system.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
        I use a measuring tape all day every day at work. One edge has inches, the other is metric. Most things we sell come in a version measured in inches and one in metric. Having both is more confusing than having either one or the other, and when it comes down to it, metric makes more sense and is easier to use.

I say we just switch and get it over with. If someone is stupid enough to think that a sign that says 100kph means they can drive 100mph, then that's just natural selection at work.
        I would love to let natural selection work. But Noooooooooooooooo, we have to have warnings on cordless drills that they're not designed with dental work in mind, and warnings on cups that coffee is hot.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I think the metric system makes total sense in the medical field.
          Metric has been authorized in the US since 1826 I think. If it is so great it shouldn't need a mandate to compete
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Metric has been authorized in the US since 1826 I think. If it is so great it shouldn't need a mandate to compete
            Somehow, the medical field seems to work with it quite well. I, on the other hand, REFUSE to build stuff with a metric tape measure! I'll stick with cubits.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I use my cordless drill for dental work all the time!

And I like taking a bath with my hair dryer plugged in and in the tub to save time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                I think the question can be flipped. Why should the U.S. adopt the metric system? We have been using our customary unit for what, 120 years or so? Unless there is a real fault with what we have been using, I don't see a reason to change it.
                The big problem is that science is done in the metric system. Continually converting from USCS to SI (Systeme Internationale -- the proper name for the "metric" systerm) and SI to USCS is confusing and a distraction to learning.

Also, the SI is EASY if someone takes a week to try to learn it.

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                  The big problem is that science is done in the metric system. Continually converting from USCS to SI (Systeme Internationale -- the proper name for the "metric" systerm) and SI to USCS is confusing and a distraction to learning.

Also, the SI is EASY if someone takes a week to try to learn it.
                  Wasn't there a space flight problem related to this when the US and Soviets worked together on Space flight?

Comment

Somehow, the medical field seems to work with it quite well. I, on the other hand, REFUSE to build stuff with a metric tape measure! I'll stick with cubits.
                    How long (measured in what system) is it from your elbow to the tip of your longest finger?

Comment

Wasn't there a space flight problem related to this when the US and Soviets worked together on Space flight?
                      Me thinketh so

Comment

Me thinketh so
                        Ah, $125 MILLION in this one incident alone from 1999....

Source: CNN

-- NASA lost a $125 million Mars orbiter because a Lockheed Martin engineering team used English units of measurement while the agency's team used the more conventional metric system for a key spacecraft operation, according to a review finding released Thursday.

© Copyright Original Source

I seem to remember another space station type docking problem.

Comment

Source: CNN

-- NASA lost a $125 million Mars orbiter because a Lockheed Martin engineering team used English units of measurement while the agency's team used the more conventional metric system for a key spacecraft operation, according to a review finding released Thursday.

© Copyright Original Source

I seem to remember another space station type docking problem.
                          "English" units -- shows how ignorant we are, even profession reporters.

Comment

Which is, of course, 17 TRILLION in 2015 dollars!

Comment

"English" units -- shows how ignorant we are, even profession reporters.
                              Yeah, over the years, I've had "English" and "Metric" Craftsman tools. I haven't checked lately to see how they designate the sillymillimeter tools.

ETA: Ah, "inch/metric" wrenches!!!!!

Comment

Here's an interesting fact sheet showing problems with the conversion, and turning them into math word problems. Great idea! Deals with the loss of the Mars Orbiter, a problem with a Disney ride in Tokyo, and an Air Canada flight that ran out of fuel due to conversion errors.

Comment