Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should the US Adopt the Metric System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JonathanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    And who made you the naming convention king? There's no rule book that says time being kicked is a necessary criteria - distance is just as valid. And by distance football has a better claim than soccer.

Ok, then let me backpedal a bit and change the criteria to how much time is spent handling (hehe ) the ball with your feet, not simply kicking it.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Should I get pedantic about what "football" actually means? Nah - I'll pass. ... Kick or handball I wonder?

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    What about kick-the-can?
    That is most often played by politicians.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Um, about equally to score an additional point. Punting and conversions messing up the stats.
    After every field goal and extra point, there is another kick to give the ball back to the other team. Throw in opening kickoffs, kicks after 2-point conversions, safeties and punts, and field goals/XPs are in the decided minority.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    ...except that kicking in football is more often than not done to give the ball to the other team on purpose.
    Um, about equally to score an additional point. Punting and conversions messing up the stats.

Like I said, bad in soccer can be good in football - the game sorta ends if there is no kick off.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    What about kick-the-can?

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Yeah, but what's good in football is usually bad in soccer - long range passes are a good way to give the ball to the other team in soccer.
    ...except that kicking in football is more often than not done to give the ball to the other team on purpose.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post

I already mentioned the fact that you occasionally kick the ball in American football. My point was that the time you actually spend kicking the ball as opposed to how much time is spent holding the ball in your hand/arm doesn't justify it being called football. Your comment about how American football players kick the ball so-and-so much farther than soccer players is completely besides the point.

IOW, your post was a red herring.
    And who made you the naming convention king? There's no rule book that says time being kicked is a necessary criteria - distance is just as valid. And by distance football has a better claim than soccer.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Translation: Um, okay, so maybe there might be a reason it's called 'football' after all...
    Chrawnus is just miffed because Americans figured out it was more interesting to throw the ball than to just kick it, and didn't feel like changing the name.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    50 yards? pfft.

Yeah, but what's good in football is usually bad in soccer - long range passes are a good way to give the ball to the other team in soccer.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Let's see you kick one fifty yards between two uprights that suddenly seem to be toothpicks. Or a hundred yards or more merely to watch the other guys scramble for it.

Soccer passes 20 - 30 yards at most - and usually when the game isn't much to watch...

Cricket is more like the UK answer to golf... and about as much fun to watch. Might be fun to play - I find that most games are better played than watched.
    50 yards? pfft.

Leave a comment:

• JonathanL
    replied
    Translation: Um, okay, so maybe there might be a reason it's called 'football' after all...

I already mentioned the fact that you occasionally kick the ball in American football. My point was that the time you actually spend kicking the ball as opposed to how much time is spent holding the ball in your hand/arm doesn't justify it being called football. Your comment about how American football players kick the ball so-and-so much farther than soccer players is completely besides the point.

IOW, your post was a red herring.

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    That's almost as good as watching a rousing game of Texas Hold'em, where you get to see everyone's hand!
    I actually find poker pretty interesting, but that dominoes match...that was something else.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    This reminds me of that time I saw a game of dominoes on ESPN.
    That's almost as good as watching a rousing game of Texas Hold'em, where you get to see everyone's hand!

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    The UK is half and half and has been for decades, no problem. Anything technical is metric. Motor car speedometers are calibrated both in miles per hour and km/hr and road distances are given in miles but not km. We buy pints of beer in the pub but litres of milk and fuel. Supermarket foods are metric but the butcher still understands lbs. Temperatures are nowadays consistently centigrade.

The 24 hour clock will live forever.

Leave a comment: