Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should the US Adopt the Metric System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
    It seems to me that it would make sense for the U.S. to adopt the metric system as its official system of units. It is much easier to convert units in the within the metric system, and it would (eventually) end the need to convert from the U.S. customary system to the metric system. With only one set of units needed for manufacturing products, foreign trade would also be easier. While there would be some costs to adopt it, it seems as though the time saved from no longer having to use the old system would eventually pay off.

I figure we should pick up where we left off and finish changing all the highway signs to metric. There are already a couple highways with metric signs that were put up when the U.S. first tried to switch in the 1970s (eg. I-19).

And just for reference, here is a history of the metric system in the United States: http://science.howstuffworks.com/why...ric-system.htm

No. It wastes a lot of materials, time and energy because very quickly you end up having to replace all the new signage, et al in order to eliminate the rampant confusion.

We tried it. We didn't like it. So no. Besides, three feet make a yard is just not that complicated. The only time most people need to convert miles to kilometers is when looking at a foreign map - which they are probably doing on Google so how hard is it to use Google for the conversion assuming you even really care. Industries that want to use metric are free to do so - and some do. You can buy bolts in either system from any hardware store (and it's easy to tell who is fixing a foreign made product or building their own ). If you don't own a calculator, Dollar Tree is just down the street - you don't even have to do the math anymore.

Y'all keep your danged metrics to yourselves. You got the Coke bottles years ago - why ya gotta take everything?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      No. It wastes a lot of materials, time and energy because very quickly you end up having to replace all the new signage, et al in order to eliminate the rampant confusion.

We tried it. We didn't like it. So no. Besides, three feet make a yard is just not that complicated. The only time most people need to convert miles to kilometers is when looking at a foreign map - which they are probably doing on Google so how hard is it to use Google for the conversion assuming you even really care. Industries that want to use metric are free to do so - and some do. You can buy bolts in either system from any hardware store (and it's easy to tell who is fixing a foreign made product or building their own ). If you don't own a calculator, Dollar Tree is just down the street - you don't even have to do the math anymore.

Y'all keep your danged metrics to yourselves. You got the Coke bottles years ago - why ya gotta take everything?
      'cause the rest of the Civilised World uses the Metric system.
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Fixed it for you, there is no civilization anywhere in this world.
        Originally posted by Raphael View Post
        'cause the rest of the Civilised World uses the Metric system.
        When I was a kid I thought it was a great idea. Now that I am old, not so much.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          Fixed it for you, there is no civilization anywhere in this world.
          Meh, probably right.
          Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          When I was a kid I thought it was a great idea. Now that I am old, not so much.
          I've only lived in countries with Metric

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            When you are dying in the hospital the IV drip and meds you're on will be in metric.
            Yeah, I referenced that in post #9. You REALLY have no sense of humor.

If you die in a car accident, all the parts in the car are metric.
            No, not all. It's a mixture.

If you are speared by a two by four in a tornado, that would still be the relict of the antiquated English system that killed you.
            You must be a real buzzkill at parties.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Don't worry CP, 2x4's haven't been really 2x4 in decades.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                No, not all. It's a mixture.
                I believe the auto and truck industry is pretty much on metric. There is some old measurement names, such as wheels, but I believe the manufacture specs are metric.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                  It seems to me that it would make sense for the U.S. to adopt the metric system as its official system of units. It is much easier to convert units in the within the metric system, and it would (eventually) end the need to convert from the U.S. customary system to the metric system. With only one set of units needed for manufacturing products, foreign trade would also be easier. While there would be some costs to adopt it, it seems as though the time saved from no longer having to use the old system would eventually pay off.

I figure we should pick up where we left off and finish changing all the highway signs to metric. There are already a couple highways with metric signs that were put up when the U.S. first tried to switch in the 1970s (eg. I-19).

And just for reference, here is a history of the metric system in the United States: http://science.howstuffworks.com/why...ric-system.htm
                  Going metric would make too much sense.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                    by English, I take it you mean the Imperial system?
                    Not quite. The US gallon is different than the Imperial gallon: A US gallon = 3.785 liters; an imperial gallon = 4.54609 liters.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      I believe the auto and truck industry is pretty much on metric. There is some old measurement names, such as wheels, but I believe the manufacture specs are metric.
                      What you believe often differs from what actually is. I actually WORK on my vehicles, and I know what tools are required.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Don't worry CP, 2x4's haven't been really 2x4 in decades.
                        EGGzackly! In mm it would be... "can you please hand me that 38.1 x 88.9"

Comment

Even though the UK is officially metric, they still use imperial units in everyday life, like miles, inches, pints (as in a pint of beer) pounds (unit of weight) and so on.

motorway-pmt.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            You must be a real buzzkill at parties.
                            That would only be true if anyone listened to him.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Not quite. The US gallon is different than the Imperial gallon: A US gallon = 3.785 liters; an imperial gallon = 4.54609 liters.
                              My gallons are 4 quarts.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Then why call it English?

-Ben Witherington III

Comment